• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

20160903_140435.jpg

Plant is very healthy.

20160903_140459.jpg

The Twins just trucking along. Was gona cut 1 off. One doesn't wanna out grow the other, so ima leave them be.

officially Its spring here now I might start up in a couple of weeks.  I'm probably only going to do one giant pumpkin this year.  I'm going to try and time it so its ready for the pumpkin competition on Easter Saturday.

I look forward to the updates!

On Friday I leave town for a weigh off here in Arizona. I'll take lots of pictures.

Things are winding down here, temps are still warm but are starting to drop at night. But I look forward to December when I start my seeds!

Very nice!

I have some exciting news, I made room for a pumpkin next season. So here is my grow list as far as giants go.

486 Baker 2015 AZ state record (pumpkin)
1299.5 Wolf 2014 (pumpkin, strong orange genetics) backup plant
P&P Seed Co. Giant cabbage (unsure of variety)
P&P Seed Co. Heavyweight bell pepper (up to 2lbs)
4.79lbs Terry 2015 (tomato, descendant of 8.41lbs Maccoy world record)
5.16lbs Domke 2015 (strong mega bloom genetics from both parents)

Thoughts?

Those pumpkins are looking good!  Looks like they have both set, I'd be tempted to get rid of one so more size goes to the other.  But at the same time, its good to have options!

That grow list looks good!  Good to see you have pumpkins back on the list!

Super David said:
Those pumpkins are looking good!  Looks like they have both set, I'd be tempted to get rid of one so more size goes to the other.  But at the same time, its good to have options!
Glad I put the kins back on. When I gave away my seeds I kept a few just in case. Glad I did. I will try to get a picture of the plot tomorrow. Going to get some soil and amend a bit. Its a fairly large area, not the biggest but I hope to become a weigh off contender next year. Been a bit since I last tried so it may be a bit rocky at first. Either way. I can't wait!

Super David said:
I've gotten tempted to cut one off..

Nice grow list Pepper Trent

Looking great bro. Went to a weigh off. Only one pumpkin there, and it only weighed somewhere around the 30-40lbs mark. Fairly small kin but it was an Atlantic Giant.

They had other competition vegetables as well. Cabbage, tomatoes, watermelon. You name it. Some fantastic growers I had the honor of speaking with. Gives me the confidence to enter some stuff next year. Didn't get pictures unfortunately.

Still waiting on a few seed orders to come in, once they do I will be starting the giant cabbage and possibly a giant tomato. David, do you have any tips for growing the giant cabbage? It will be my first year trying.

ThePepperTrent said:
Looking great bro. Went to a weigh off. Only one pumpkin there, and it only weighed somewhere around the 30-40lbs mark. Fairly small kin but it was an Atlantic Giant.

They had other competition vegetables as well. Cabbage, tomatoes, watermelon. You name it. Some fantastic growers I had the honor of speaking with. Gives me the confidence to enter some stuff next year. Didn't get pictures unfortunately.

Still waiting on a few seed orders to come in, once they do I will be starting the giant cabbage and possibly a giant tomato. David, do you have any tips for growing the giant cabbage? It will be my first year trying.
Sorry but I wont be any help to you with giant cabbages! I still havn't grown one bigger than what you can buy in the shops!  One way or another I keep failing.   I CAN tell you though that they like alot of nutrients.  I can go 1/3 stronger in nutrients than my pumpkins.

Yall ever had too deal with powdery mildew?

Starting too show up on the leaves.

Sprayed it this morning with some baking soda and a little bit of castile soap.

once its on a leaf its hard to get rid of.  You pretty much have to treat preventatively.  I've used milk diluted in water and that works, but you have to spray often, and you need to get the top and bottom of the leaf.  If you aren't planning on eating the pumpkins there is a systemic anti fungal spray you guys have in the US called Eagle 20.  Its toxic stuff, so you can't eat the pumpkin if you spray with it, but thats what all the serious pumpkin growers use.

Back