• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

GIS Software

I'm trying to find a program that will open a _shp.zip file.

So far, the prograpms I've found say to unzip, then I have to add the layers individually.

Anyone familiar with these things? All help appreciated.

RS

if I understand correctly, you have the files unzipped, but there are a lot of them and instead of adding each one individually you'd like to load up a multitude of them at the same time.

Are you using ArcGIS? You should simply be able to highlight multiple occurrences under "Add Data" then click the add button for multiple layer adding.

Hi Ballzworth, Thanks for the reply.

I have ArcReader and ArcExplorer.
The data is coming from www.mapconnect.ga.gov.au

Once unzipped, the data turns into about 10 folders, all containing .shp, .bdf and .prj files.

I can select 'Add Layers' and then add multiple layers (one folder at a time) and then I have to select them in the reader to make them visible on the map. I then have to move them forward or back (in the visibility order) once activated into the right order.

I'm probably asking too much of the program to know what order to put the layers in.

Essentially, what I want to do is to start with the full map, and then pull some of the layers out, leaving main features, roads, towns etc.

The website provides a variety of formats, so if you 9or anyone else) can suggest another format/program combination that is easier to work with, or some *basic* instructions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

RS

I work with .shp files and just click on the table of contents menu on the left which layers I want to view simultaneously and which ones to ignore. You should just be able to check or uncheck anything you want or don't want.

Is your problem that you can only view one layer that is on top rather than multiples at once?

Check out the following document which may help you with ArcReader options:
http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/ohip/gis/ArcReader%20quick-start%20tutorial.pdf

Jim

Hi Ballzworth,

Thanks for the link.

I read through, downloaded a random data set rfrom the ga.us website and voila! It worked as it should. I think the problem lies in the fact that my data sets don't have a .pmf file.

I suppose that I will have to load the layers in ArcExplorer, order them and then publish the map to generate a .pmf file.

Thanks for your help

RS

glad it worked out for you. I'm not familiar with PMF files as I've never worked with them, or used ArcReader, but happy to hear that you figured things out.

Back