• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Glowing Tomato Hornworms

So I just bought an awesome LED UV flashlight from a co. called JClaw.  Naturally i took it outside to play with and discovered that Hornworms glow under a blacklight.
IMG_0547_zpsb4x7kt6a.jpg
trying hiding from me now you ugly pricks!  I also discovered that they like eating nicotiana. 

Lovepeppers said:
I need to get one of those. I had a surge a couple months back. No joke i plucked at least 150+ eggs within 3 day period. I feed any live larvae to the ants nearby, my ants love them to death.

I use a cheap ($6 or $7) handheld uv flashlight I got from Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015W17OSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a strain of worm that wasn't hornworm this year.  They really did a number on my tomatoes. I found half of them in the larval stage, and the other half while they were pupating. (that's where this light really saves the day)

Either way, my trained lizards in the front yard loved them.  They like to smash them on the sidewalk and splatter the juice out, before eating the deflated green sack that's left.

Back