• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Glutton for punishment

Has anyone seen the episode of Glutton for Punishment with Bob Blumer where he enters the chili eating contest?

It's been a while since I've seen it, and I can't remember what kind of pepper the old guy feeds him that starts off tame and keeps getting hotter and hotter...

Anyone know?

Did some digging and found this site. http://www.hatch-chile.com/
"We grow "New Mexico's Finest" chile. Hatch is the Chile Capital of the World. We believe the best chile is grown in New Mexico, the best chile in New Mexico is grown in Hatch and the best chile in Hatch is grown on Lytle Farms.

The Hatch Chile Express was founded in 1988. We have been providing quality chile products and service for the past 20 years. We have been featured on the Food Network on a program called "Eat the Heat" and "Glutton For Punishment" for the past year. We have also been featured in magazines such as Sunset, Country America, Gourmet, Walking, Time, Texas Monthly and Top Producer and most recently Southern Living. Perhaps you have also seen us on ABC News, CNN and Nick News." "four choices - heat levels. We offer Mild (NM 6-4 Variety), Medium (Big Jim Variety), Hot (Sandia Variety) or X-Hot (Lumbre Variety)"

They look like they would be great for Chile rellenos. Now need to find seeds.

So what kind of pepper are they roasting and eating for this competition on this show?

And the pepper that lights him up that the pepper farmer is growing is called Lumbre.

RyboFlav said:
I think they just keep referring to it as a hatch chile.

They do but they called it a Lumbre which is the spanish word for fire. Im sure its just a cross breed of something thats nowhere near as hot as a Scorpion or Naga.

Necrocannibal said:
So what kind of pepper are they roasting and eating for this competition on this show?

And the pepper that lights him up that the pepper farmer is growing is called Lumbre.

Called my buddy in Santa Fe to see if he knew anything about it.

He says the chile they eat in the competition is the Numex Barker and the "lumbre" is just a barker crossed with a habanero.

UnNatural said:
Called my buddy in Santa Fe to see if he knew anything about it.

He says the chile they eat in the competition is the Numex Barker and the "lumbre" is just a barker crossed with a habanero.

Awesome info!! Thanks for finding it. :)

Back