• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GNSLNGR 2013,14, and 1 to grow on 2015!,..Just some pics of another on the go "grow"

The grow begins....pictureless. Because everyone should be able to "minds eye" a picture of dirt. Dirt on the road.....
in the back of an FJ for afew days -parking managed by sun light availability.3 days later 1 65 watt halogen to keep em warm.
On the tenth day(10 days after germ beganso closer to 2 weeks), I head back to the ranch-metaphorically thinking...or typing-whatever;)!

Over watered, because got over dry, sink or swim kids.....if you make it, you will rule!
At this point , they're being fed with 2 strip flourescents and a 90 watt grolight.
One cat thought , awesome, it is warm, the humans fuss over this spot, so I will sleep here.I gently extricate cat, for it knows not what it does. I assume waking up in the air will get my point across, as far as "must not sleep there".Seems to work.Uno , my ever watchful Jack Russell Valkyrie Familiar, drives the exclamation point home by chasing "Lira"up the nearest tree.Not much damage due skillful cat handling ;).

3 weeks....getting a watering schedule dialed, most sprouts have returned to their precat status, and yes some got helped back "up".2 or 3 were brutally uprooted in frustration, which I played off as "Let that be a lesson to the rest of you!".No time for the sissy stuff this year.The missing plants have been split and put into 12 Oz'rs.
4 days after this, all potential plantlets were transplanted into 16/20oz cups. Yes I know"Its way to early said the choir"!!!!
Tough shit, hit the dirt, time to drive back to Houston.So I packed up the truck "and they moved to Beverly....", well Houston.
The next pic you will see one tupperware tray, the little kids get to stay home with the evil princess;).

I talk all this smack , and then notice when I get to Houston that the vibration has toppled half of the plants(narrow bases of the 16 oz cups walking around....ahhh F*ck,"We have casualties on the ground, I need air YESTERDAY! I say again...".Shit , Its 23:30.
In 30 minutes, they have been recupped and dual large bore IV'd.To prevent further damage, I seak out plastic cups at the nearest late night Indian owned gasvenience station.....What about beer you ask?....HeHeHe-I left home fully loaded, on ice, I hate driving around late at night looking for beer. I don't really like doing it for cups either, but you what you gotta do, or won't have a grow.The cups were(and did) to provide buffers for the tippers, and were placed inverted in various places to prevent VIT during additional transit required.Photo bucket crapped out so this is it for episode one.
Have a good one-
DJ

Addition relevant comments:
I believe new grow seeds for this round are all Chinense, and in order of appearance:
First up 1. Peach Bullets -R Alber; 2;Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues -3 days.
Second up 3. Carolina Reapers-Pepper Joe/Ed Currie; 4. Bhut Jolokia X 7 Pot Douglah-Matt G; 5. 7 Pot Browns-OBN; 8. Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragon-R Alber;-5 days
Third up 9. Jay's Peach Bhut -OBN; 10. Brain Strain Orange-OBN; 11.White Fatalli-R Alber; 12. TS Yellow x Bhut Jolokia Yellow-??, 13. Bhut Jolokia x Chocolate Hab-Matt G-7 days

Failure to lauch :The Pumpkin (not a Butch T)....Bummer, and 2 others......?????
At the end of the next 9 day stretch ,all were tx'd to 20 oz cups, and nice rootage;)
The beasts of the bunch-Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues, and Then The Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragons, all of which had 6-8 leaves on departing for Ghana.
Beers-
DJ

JKlQ8kS.jpg

If I water them will they grow???

Round 2,3 begin....after round 1's untimely end, round 2 seeds went into pellets.I can at least rely on them not to do strange things...if you nail the water amount correctly.The first soil mix like to hold water, but not make it avail for the seeds unless it was extremely wet. I didn't get the pellet wet enough initially ,so they were holding out on the water as well,2 weeks after the second start and one corner was popping....so extreme measures were called for:soak em , add reinforcements to inactive pellets, and keep the temps high-about 100 deg f. Well that did it-
and by the time I left everyone was popping.
]
7pot Monster Infinities(Shane, these are from the mother of the plant that produced that"mother..." of a pod you ate-"clown posse"), and White Bhuts are the full pellets, the others are Primo x Butch T, Bhut Jolokia Assam x Red 7 Pot, 7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate, and Bhut Orange Copenhagen.

These are the Infinities, and a Black Scorpions Tongue(Ladybug)...transplanted to 2"x's the day before departure(the BST had 3 popped by then)

This Dragon Fly was resting from the winds on k-bob skewer stick that was marking some seeds in the ground outside, his wings are being blown forward-the seeds didn't pop before reinforcements from John Ford were transplanted outside after 9 days of "max growth session" in 14 oz cups to get em up to transplant size.

Here are the John Ford plants 9 days after being tx'd to cups-they have almost tripled in size, and are getting some great node spacing....

Multi -color Bishops Crown, Aji Orange Amarillo, Cappocino Nagas, and Peach Nagas here-these were 3-4" with 6-8 leaves when received- the perlite working its magic against the Fungus Gnats.....fingers crossed!

Just in time for the initial plant out....and these little voracious bastadges were everywhere.Great.

The node spacing detail.....

Moruga Mustard

Stand off!The kitten assumes the position atop an Australian Treefern trunk(killed 2 years ago by frost, kept around for the critters)

....more to worry about, clustered on the chain holding up the heavy bag. What, me worry about my transplants? I performed an intervention before heading out .....
The morning of departure, after 2 days of no rain finally ...I manage to have time to slap a dozen and a half plants into holes dug out and prepped for new soil mix.
2 weeks of rain prevented the planned garden soil tilling and sugar cane dirt intended to be part of this years project....so it was dig out the old holes(16" x 14"), add a mix of 1 part mushroom compost,1 part Black Cow, 1 part MGrow Organic Garden Soil, 1 part Stay Green Garden Soil, 1 part local topsoil-slap down the cages, pick up the rental car and head out for the heliport 180 miles away.........
Have a good one, and thanks for dropping in ;)

Best of luck with that latest round (s) Dave ... The little ones from Tom Ford look robust ... Fingers crossed they thrive outside ...

stc3248 said:
JKlQ8kS.jpg

If I water them will they grow???
ooooh-I see a Specter in there;), that from your trip to the Gulf Coast, where you put that 92 to such good use?Nice ensemble.

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking real good Dave. The insects are interesting, but a little disgusting.
The dragonfly was just for the fun of stressing the iphone, but the others are ravenous eaters....of anything green and pack a bit of a sting.Really disgusting....not quite stepping on a big tomato horn worm in barefeet disgusting, but close!

Trippa said:
Best of luck with that latest round (s) Dave ... The little ones from Tom Ford look robust ... Fingers crossed they thrive outside ...
I had to hedge my bets -so far reports are still "all seedlings doing well"-which is good to hear; after the first round got wiped out....it was time to get serious about back up plans. Got a few Brain Strain Reds that were not as far along (4 leaves) as the others so the roots were well behind .Of course now that I've got enough stock coming along , all the sprouts will live and I'll have too many to deal with lol.The remaining pellets are still popping, and thats something I can live with.

Trident chilli said:
That Sea Roach is one scary object ... would make a good villain in a SiFi film ... good luck with your grow
They look like a sci fi prop , we came across a few last night on bottom. I'll take all the luck I can get! Thanks

What a cool collection of pepper and critter pictures.  Love the shot of the cat trying to figure out how to get that squirrel.  That picture of that giant sea cockroach or whatever that was, still comes to mind when I check out your glog...

romy6 said:
 Well well look who decided to get on some dry land for a day or two  :fireball:  :fireball:

Looking good Dave . Love your grow man . 

J-man! Saved a bottle of the Green Hornet sauce for you....and the last of my Green Hornet seeds was sprouting when I left. Oughta go good with the Green Morugas that came up at the same time....if they survive my absence :shh:
Pulpiteer said:
What a cool collection of pepper and critter pictures.  Love the shot of the cat trying to figure out how to get that squirrel.  That picture of that giant sea cockroach or whatever that was, still comes to mind when I check out your glog...
Thanks Andy, I gotta fill the podless space with something. The show down is a daily occurrance....so far the squirrel is faster

So , update time again, this may be a false alarm as Photobucket editor is not stickin' to the pics(seems they love to rotate 90 degrees everytime they go through another site interface.I may say f*ck it , and post em cockeye'd, and maybe change the glog name to "Which way is up?" I'm back out on the vessel workin' on a situation at a project named Bigfoot in 5,300' of water-interesting times-anyway, after trying to get the 'bucket to work right for an hour or so , I decided to gamble on the fact that we are all smart enough to tell which way is up.Even if some of us aren't smart enough to make it look like we do ;) .

So, I catch the inbound helo....right into several weeks of RAIN......

Day 1, I wake up to this.....and while my reinforcements are all still doing great, the report that all my seedlings were doing fine was an exaggeration, only half of them were still alive.Bummer.No comment.

Hey, easy one here ....looking down on the next round of transplants.Living inside and out....sun comes out for an hour or so, and out they go....conditioning time, as you may be able to tell, they are trying to adjust to sunlight dosages....

Here are a few planted last trip home on my last day in , one the satellite plots(read "insurance"), they have been in the ground 32 days.1 Black Fatalii,1 Cappuchino Naga, 1 Bishops crown Multicolor and 1 Aji Amarillo.Less then ideal location ,but the Giant Bhuts , and Mustard bhuts that lived here before loved it....

Aji Banana flower during a brief sunny interlude....

Fun stuff, when ever I get a dry few hours or half day , I go out and dig out last years dirt( mud), add new relatively dry soil mix and cover during the rains, uncover when a sunny interlude presents itself.
I'm doing this because if I miss this planting window, the next one when I return is in July-this plot sees direct sun from just before  high noon to about 1530, that is a terrible time to start anything this far south-it will fry and die, or they will get eaten by the bugs that love July.

Creature feature , sometimes a cold beer fueled dragonfly stalk is a worthwhile break from the mud shovel!Hah-seems the 4th times a charm on photobucket editor.....

Petins! Despite a caterpillar assault ,and no small thanks to a few Anoles.....the first ripe pod.

:dance: Surprise....I turned around while doing the mud shovel tango in the main bed , and lo' and behold right behind me snickering the whole time , was a Cappuchino Naga pod. 
Well, seems all the surviving seedlings are gonna be 50/50'd again....fungus gnats took hold, so they were dosed several times with skeeter dunk water , all the purples have gone south.
I am a bit pissed about that, but get over it....I've got 8 days left at the time to get the rest of the brood to get in the ground, and looks like a few days more of rain are coming......but they've been getting
fed, sunned, moved back in during rain and sitting under lights w/4 hours of rest day.They will be ready....

So the next update is ready, as it was snapped the day before jumping back on an S92' to fly out here, so when my patience for long distance photobook editing returns....I'll follow up.
Time to go hit the gym, gotta keep the crazy at bay! Good growing all...

Sweet Dave ... Hope that rain eases up and all the plants thrive while you are off shore again!! Love the pic of the Dragon fly!!
I know how you feel with the rain ... We have already had over 600mm rain this month with 381mm coming over Friday and Saturday just gone!! Luckily I don't have my new garden up and running just yet so nothing drowned here but the farm is a bit of a mess ... Widespread flooding across the district's around here ... Anyway enough of my rambling ... On you grow!!

Trippa said:
Sweet Dave ... Hope that rain eases up and all the plants thrive while you are off shore again!! Love the pic of the Dragon fly!!
I know how you feel with the rain ... We have already had over 600mm rain this month with 381mm coming over Friday and Saturday just gone!! Luckily I don't have my new garden up and running just yet so nothing drowned here but the farm is a bit of a mess ... Widespread flooding across the district's around here ... Anyway enough of my rambling ... On you grow!!
A rainy year all around , I suppose , but I did catch a break and last 4 days were mostly sunny. I imagine your scenery has improved dramatically.
Well here comes part 2....

After the water recedes, no more "dig and cover"-just a straight shift of get it all in except my surviving seedlings-12 seemed to make it through too the cup transplants -I just hope they live through my absence....not really worth a pic(might be bad luck!).Seems a few Bhut Orange Copenhagens popped up under the Bishops Crown Multicolor, they got excavated and put in cups...maybe I should've just let nature take its course....

That funny buzzing sound...I'm filling holes, and they are looking for whatever it is they look for....no confrontations, and at least its not Giant Hornets keeping me company....

Cross section of the main bed , the row on the left were the ones I managed on the first go around , the other 2 rows are class "catch up"- trying to adjust to full blazing sun, this is the first day that the cages didn't have fence mesh over em.

Same section from side view a few days later, nice comparison for growth rates, the middle row has been in for a week , and the closest row about 2 days-and the the first ones are obviously in back. The taller ones are Aji Banana, Cappuchino Naga, Moruga Mustards, the closest row is Brain Strain Red, Peach Naga, Kraken Scorpions,3 of each and the odd Green Moruga.That Stumpy hiding in the back is for breaks, where I'd work in a few quick intervals.It is highly jealous of plant out time, too muddy for any extended rides...so I sorta split the difference

An Agapanthus getting a bit of action.....

Black Fatalii podding up

Another dragonfly catching a break....

The Cappuchino Naga pods, gettin' fatter with a few more days growth....

I think my seedlings would've preferred the crazy traveling like the last 2 yrs, I may have to revert to that next year.....this years massive losses were  a bit of a surprise.Gonna have to think on that one, as I've only got a few more batches of each of my pet varieties(Douglah Butch T's,Douglah Morugas,Douglah Bhuts, Assam x Red 7's etc)but for now I'm just glad the hard parts over.

Good luck on your grows,  thanks for stopping in...and have a good one,
Dave

Never a dull moment here Dave! Sorry about the losses, but what's left looks good! I hear ya 'bout the relief of finally getting your plants in-ground. Macro pics look great as usual. Keep up the good work!

stickman said:
Never a dull moment here Dave! Sorry about the losses, but what's left looks good! I hear ya 'bout the relief of finally getting your plants in-ground. Macro pics look great as usual. Keep up the good work!
Well,I'm used to it.....and it allows me to shift focus to other areas-like getting em in the ground.I still have 12 seed grow survivors, some of which will be surprises as I used the same tray/dirt, for the third try just for times sake.Kinda to anticipate.The Moldavian Heart x Purple Bhut looks to be a survivor still-really lookin forward to it....fingers crossed!

I don't know how you do it either.  And not only living at sea, you come home to water all around your plants! Nice to see some pods coming in for you though, and those creature shots are great as usual. 

romy6 said:
 Looking damn good for a man who lives at sea . Don;t know how you do it man  :fireball:

Pulpiteer said:
I don't know how you do it either.  And not only living at sea, you come home to water all around your plants! Nice to see some pods coming in for you though, and those creature shots are great as usual. 
Thanks guys-Have a kick ass Independence Day.

Back in the saddle for  July 17th.....the chips got pine strawed, and the plants are happy for now.They are just about a month behind what I'd call normal- many will most likely start droppin blossoms as the heat moves in, so many won't pod up heavily until August is history. 12 survivors all managed to survive the last purge session , due to extremely diligent phone checks....

The Kids are alright.....

Purple Bhut xTS Viper fresh and ready for sun conditioning- bad timing , as end of July sun isn't a joke.

Not a Moruga Mustard....but I'm cool with Yellow, the plant is a beast of a producer

Black Fatalii's

Purple Bhut x TS Viper(or possibly PB X Moldavian Heart-either way the lone surviving purple) after a few days sun conditioning-going into a 1 gallon to get enough root ball to plant out.

Bishop's Crown Multi Color, Baccattum

Cappoccino Naga T2

Moruga Mustard

Peach Naga T2

Cappoccino Naga T1

So much for round 1 .......

Back