• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GNSLNGR 2013,14, and 1 to grow on 2015!,..Just some pics of another on the go "grow"

The grow begins....pictureless. Because everyone should be able to "minds eye" a picture of dirt. Dirt on the road.....
in the back of an FJ for afew days -parking managed by sun light availability.3 days later 1 65 watt halogen to keep em warm.
On the tenth day(10 days after germ beganso closer to 2 weeks), I head back to the ranch-metaphorically thinking...or typing-whatever;)!

Over watered, because got over dry, sink or swim kids.....if you make it, you will rule!
At this point , they're being fed with 2 strip flourescents and a 90 watt grolight.
One cat thought , awesome, it is warm, the humans fuss over this spot, so I will sleep here.I gently extricate cat, for it knows not what it does. I assume waking up in the air will get my point across, as far as "must not sleep there".Seems to work.Uno , my ever watchful Jack Russell Valkyrie Familiar, drives the exclamation point home by chasing "Lira"up the nearest tree.Not much damage due skillful cat handling ;).

3 weeks....getting a watering schedule dialed, most sprouts have returned to their precat status, and yes some got helped back "up".2 or 3 were brutally uprooted in frustration, which I played off as "Let that be a lesson to the rest of you!".No time for the sissy stuff this year.The missing plants have been split and put into 12 Oz'rs.
4 days after this, all potential plantlets were transplanted into 16/20oz cups. Yes I know"Its way to early said the choir"!!!!
Tough shit, hit the dirt, time to drive back to Houston.So I packed up the truck "and they moved to Beverly....", well Houston.
The next pic you will see one tupperware tray, the little kids get to stay home with the evil princess;).

I talk all this smack , and then notice when I get to Houston that the vibration has toppled half of the plants(narrow bases of the 16 oz cups walking around....ahhh F*ck,"We have casualties on the ground, I need air YESTERDAY! I say again...".Shit , Its 23:30.
In 30 minutes, they have been recupped and dual large bore IV'd.To prevent further damage, I seak out plastic cups at the nearest late night Indian owned gasvenience station.....What about beer you ask?....HeHeHe-I left home fully loaded, on ice, I hate driving around late at night looking for beer. I don't really like doing it for cups either, but you what you gotta do, or won't have a grow.The cups were(and did) to provide buffers for the tippers, and were placed inverted in various places to prevent VIT during additional transit required.Photo bucket crapped out so this is it for episode one.
Have a good one-
DJ

Addition relevant comments:
I believe new grow seeds for this round are all Chinense, and in order of appearance:
First up 1. Peach Bullets -R Alber; 2;Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues -3 days.
Second up 3. Carolina Reapers-Pepper Joe/Ed Currie; 4. Bhut Jolokia X 7 Pot Douglah-Matt G; 5. 7 Pot Browns-OBN; 8. Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragon-R Alber;-5 days
Third up 9. Jay's Peach Bhut -OBN; 10. Brain Strain Orange-OBN; 11.White Fatalli-R Alber; 12. TS Yellow x Bhut Jolokia Yellow-??, 13. Bhut Jolokia x Chocolate Hab-Matt G-7 days

Failure to lauch :The Pumpkin (not a Butch T)....Bummer, and 2 others......?????
At the end of the next 9 day stretch ,all were tx'd to 20 oz cups, and nice rootage;)
The beasts of the bunch-Melissa's Black Scorpions Tongues, and Then The Bhut Jolokia x Cleo's Dragons, all of which had 6-8 leaves on departing for Ghana.
Beers-
DJ

Great to see you back, Dave.  Good luck with your grow!  Think your new sows will be waiting for you when you get back?

Uh oh,.......not that I am surprised:

"SO, How are the spouts doing babe?"
".....well five of them are doing really good!"

Damnit man strikes again.Stay tuned for start number 2.Yep , its guaranteed now :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

That sucks. Out of the 5 that made it, are they at least ones you really want?

It is still early in the year. Get the rest started right away. Heck, us folks up in Ohio still have 7 weeks till plantout so anything you get moving shortly will be ahead of us.

Runescape said:
lol, nice list. Cant wait for some more pics...
he, he , he....that may take awhile, apparently the lads are taking heavy losses under the current "caregiver"  lol

PaulG said:
Hey, Dave!  You nabbed some fine looking pods there despite the November freeze, my friend!

Good luck getting your 2015 grow underway!  May you have stand-and-stare time soon    :cheers:
Thanks Paul -sunny side up is always the best way to see things! Overdrive start number 2, gonna happen on day 2, when I get beachside again.

Devv said:
Good to see you Dave!

Nice list too!

Now here's a fantastic avatar. Great pic.

Good luck this season!

Thanks ! Thats a TIKI face if I've ever seen one!

stickman said:
Nice retrospective of 2014 harvest and list for 2015! Good luck with your season this year! Are you still as much on the road as usual?
Less on the ROAD, more in the air, and on the water......getting the ying equal with last years yang!

MeatHead1313 said:
Beautiful pod shots Dave! Best of luck for the season!
 Thanks , catch up time already ...but where there's a will there's a way. Know a good source for good soil mixes in Laf,La 

Sawyer said:
Great to see you back, Dave.  Good luck with your grow!  Think your new sows will be waiting for you when you get back?

Funny you should ask.....down to "5 are doing good"....

Jeff H said:
That sucks. Out of the 5 that made it, are they at least ones you really want?

It is still early in the year. Get the rest started right away. Heck, us folks up in Ohio still have 7 weeks till plantout so anything you get moving shortly will be ahead of us.
Roger Jeff....she didn't even mention them last call, me fears the worst! :shh:
I'm the ones I had a limited stock of are hardy, as these will only have  2 seeds left of the lots. That allows me the shift gears , and do more of the core groups(Satans,DXBT's, Douglah x Choc Bhuts.....there is a cross in that mix...he said with an evil grin :fireball: !

gnslngr said:

Thanks , catch up time already ...but where there's a will there's a way. Know a good source for good soil mixes in Laf,La
The only soil mix I've looked at was at the grass and rock shoppe in Milton. Looked nice, and felt light from the quick handful I grabbed to check it out. If I remember right it was $45 for a cubic yard. Lafayette Materials has a bedding mix as well for around the same price, but I haven't checked it out yet. I'm pretty much all in containers again this year so making my own mix again, other than a few pots filled with Dr Earth potting mix I got from All Seasons nursery. Did Live Oak Gardens stop selling the sugar cane soil? I checked their website as I was thinking of doing some raised beds, but couldn't see it listed anymore.

Runescape said:
But you can post pics of the five good ones lol
Masochist!........as you wish! In this corner.....

We have Douglah x Butch T f3 Reds, Purple Bhut x Maldavian Heart, Jonah 7 x Yellow Brain, Pineapple Rocoto and more-a quick shot before leaving. This the last photograph of these individuals still alive........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Seraphim(Bhut Jolokia x Carolina Reaper),Moruga x Reaper, Douglah x Choc. Bhut(D'Bhut!).Green Moruga.........same same

Now, its ONE with leaves and 4 without.LOL......sort of!

Found these Yellow beauties mixed with some habs at a store on the way to the heliport.......yeah, I'm a smuggler too :dance:

Jeff, here's a newly built 6.5 Grendel-20" Shilen Match barrel w/ Tridentis Tactical 15" LW free float fore end and an Alexander Arms Forged Upper receiver on another Rock River lower.

Ordered a slew of live reinforcements :party:  from John Ford yesterday;)-Peach Nagas and 7 pots,Braz Ghost Scorps,Kraken Scorpions,Cappachino Nagas,Moruga Mustard.......to be delivered at the end of next week. Til then I gotta sit in the dark.....the Bat Cave (Control Room) on the Island Pride somewhere(GC596 CVX Tahiti;4,040 fsw )in the Gulf of Mexico.

Pissed off sea roach, cya next time
Have a good one-
DJ

I'm always impressed with your mobile and on the run grows.
That sea roach is crazy looking. How deep are those things?

Those yellow habs look nice - do you know what kind they are by any chance?

Runescape said:
lmao, thats a lot more than 5 though!
That was before I left(there were 2 other corners, so I had to go check the label pics to correct the varieties, but dead is dead -shrug)......5 left was a week ago, she said she'll try to save the one that still has leaves, poor bastard is doomed!

Pulpiteer said:
I'm always impressed with your mobile and on the run grows.
That sea roach is crazy looking. How deep are those things?

Those yellow habs look nice - do you know what kind they are by any chance?
They stink  big time,usually down around 2k plus (feet deep)this one got into a work skid.
No Idea, most were long, and they get dark yellow orange...I'm keepin some seeds,and they a good bit hotter then the typical dumbed down hab's you typically find storeside.

Dude, how big are theses sea roaches?

I hope you find a surviving plant when you get home!
Anchors aweigh!

Nice carbine Dave. I just bought another lower myself the other day. No idea what I will build with it yet but a suppressed .300 Blackout is my current thought, but Damn those suppressors are pricey.

PaulG said:
Dude, how big are theses sea roaches?

I hope you find a surviving plant when you get home!
Anchors aweigh!
10-12" x 12-15"ish......
Start no. 2 , is a must....gonna be tough trimming the list though!

Jeff H said:
Nice carbine Dave. I just bought another lower myself the other day. No idea what I will build with it yet but a suppressed .300 Blackout is my current thought, but Damn those suppressors are pricey.
That they are. I look at the 6.5 and think.....  .300 x 6.5 (parent case based on 220 Russian)

Holy seashells, Dave.  Those mothahs are HUGE   :shocked:

gnslngr said:
10-12" x 12-15"ish......
Start no. 2 , is a must....gonna be tough trimming the list though!

That they are. I look at the 6.5 and think.....  .300 x 6.5 (parent case based on 220 Russian)
PaulG said:

Yeah, what Paul said.  I thought I was looking at an electron micrograph at first.  Man, I'd hate to wake up and find one of those looking at me on the side of the bed.

I'm a big .308 fan myself, simply because of availability and versatility.  Been thinking about .338 LM lately.

Dave, I can probably send you a few plants if you see something in my glog that interests you and I have extras for.  Or seeds if you want to go that way.  PM me.

Dang! That's a disappointment to have your starts come to a bad end in your absence... :(  especially if they were varieties you can't find easily elsewhere, but at least you have a plan B.

Are Sea Roaches usually that big, or did you find it somewhere they were dumping nuclear waste offshore in the '50's?

PaulG said:
Indeed.

Sawyer said:

Yeah, what Paul said.  I thought I was looking at an electron micrograph at first.  Man, I'd hate to wake up and find one of those looking at me on the side of the bed.

I'm a big .308 fan myself, simply because of availability and versatility.  Been thinking about .338 LM lately.

Dave, I can probably send you a few plants if you see something in my glog that interests you and I have extras for.  Or seeds if you want to go that way.  PM me.
My "hunter" through thick and thin 80% of the time is a .308. If you cannot drop it with a .308, you need to spend a little more(or a lot more time at the range). K Bell used to cull elephants with such with a 6.5 Swedish.....
....and I will.;)

stickman said:
Dang! That's a disappointment to have your starts come to a bad end in your absence... :(  especially if they were varieties you can't find easily elsewhere, but at least you have a plan B.

Are Sea Roaches usually that big, or did you find it somewhere they were dumping nuclear waste offshore in the '50's?
Nope fairly common, and they even hang out near old mustard gas etc.Nature is a lot tougher then we like to admit.

Back