golden greek pepperoncini

LGHT said:
Are these the same peepers that they give away with every Pappa John's pizza order?

That's where I first tasted them. And maybe the exact seeds we're looking for are controlled, since every time I buy a jar of them (Golden Greeks) it says "Product of Greece" on the label and are imported by such-and-such company.

Would pickled peppers' seed germinate? Are Papa's peppers pickled? This is not a riddle. I've grown from pods that were commercially dried (with preservatives) and green pods that eventually ripened red. How do we get true (trew) pepperoncinis... interesting, 'cuz I love them, too.

LGHT said:
Are these the same peepers that they give away with every Pappa John's pizza order?

Just to follow up...
I've been digging around for more onfo on that source and this is what is on the Pappa Joh's website:

Available Extras
Pepperoncinis, Anchovies, Jalapeño Peppers, and Banana Peppers

* Availability of extras may vary by restaurant.

Back to diging!

Its funny how I often find Golden Greek pepperoncinis on seed sites that originate from Italy. I think its the Greek type that you find in delis and even Quiznos. I'm not sure about Papa Johns but I'd imagine they are the same too.
They must be popular somewhere in/near Ottawa since I buy lots of used golden Greek Pepperoncini barrels and they have greek writing on them so I know these aren't from Italy:)

OK , I found a few interesting tidbits/clues:

(from 1998 newspaper article)
Every pizza comes with a trademark tub of Papa John's garlic dipping sauce and a tub of pepperoncini peppers. The company claims it uses 60 percent of all pepperoncini peppers grown worldwide.

http://www.svcn.com/archives/sunnyvalesun/09.23.98/Pizza.html

(allegedly from pappa johns rep, ingredients)
Pepperoncini: Peppers, vinegar, salt, and sodium benzoate (less than 1000ppm), citric acid, sodium metabisulfite (a preservative).

http://www.vegfamily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503&page=2

(from tariff legislation, 2004)
Seed companies supplying pepperoncini do exist. 9 Limited information suggests that pepperoncini peppers may be grown in Michigan and New Jersey, in conjunction with production of cherry peppers. 10 However, there is no known commercial production of pepperoncini for use in domestic processing. 11 In the past, efforts were made to grow pepperoncini for processing in the United States, but the color and taste did not meet purchaser product specifications; also, the climate conditions were not suitable and labor costs were high. 12

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/tata/hts/other/rel_doc/bill_reports/hr5019.pdf

See pdf for footnoted sources.

c.

I think they put those peppers in the salads at Olive Garden (an Italian chain restaurant) too. I have been eating them for 30 years with pizza. A local place I went to as a kid had them in little cups on the side with the slices.

I do have a question though, I have never had a ripe one what is the difference in flavor and heat?

JayT said:
have never had a ripe one what is the difference in flavor and heat?

The red ones I took seeds from last year went into a batch of pasta (fresh, not in the sauce) and they were pleasantly hot. A lot hotter than I anticipated from eating the greenies. The typical red sweetness was there too - compared to a green one.

I think some of the crushed red pepper you get for pizza etc is also red (Italian?) pepperoncini, but I havent tried that. Yet.

I think they are picked green before any hard seeds develop in order to make a better pickle but then they bleach them too for whatever reason.

JayT said:
I checked into that once and I found that most of the crushed red pepper is Arbol.

Good. That's what I've been using and I love it. Trying some others this year too - Superchili, Japone.

Here's one more piece of the puzzle. Looks like Victoria is the major food service supplier of these babies and they're imported.

Victoria Greek Pepperoncini is imported from the Pellopenese area in Greece. They are also called "Golden Greek Peppers" because of their beautiful yellow / green color.
[...]
VICTORIA is the largest importer of Greek Pepperoncini in the United States. Each year we package over 6 million pounds of these wonderful peppers.
We supply these to restaurant chains and pizza chains in Food Service sizes, also pack them in 12oz., 24oz."retail size", and 62oz., and 128 oz. "1 gallon" glass jars "Club Pack". We also pack a 30lb. vacuum packed plastic bag.

http://www.victoriapacking.com/pepcini.html

Want to pitch in to buy a 30 lb bag anyone? Now to figure out what's different about the seed stock and the growing conditions of the Pellopenese area... Hmmmm...
c.

Seems to me that the pale green color is sought after because that is the recognizable color of greek pepperocini. What the heck would you do with 30lbs of them Carol?

JayT said:
Seems to me that the pale green color is sought after because that is the recognizable color of greek pepperocini. What the heck would you do with 30lbs of them Carol?

From my limited taste testing experience, the darker green also comes with a harsher taste. Almost like green beans as I recall.

I've moved on from wanting the 30# bag. Now I want a Greek farm! :rofl: Anyway, the Pelopenese area is where Greek olives, etc are grown. There are "massive mountains ... interspersed with fertile plains."

So, maybe growing these things is as picky as olives and/or coffee - north facing slope of a mountain range type thing? Maybe I'm giving them too much sun? Would be nice to know how to get the correct seed stock short of going to Greece for vacation.

Is there anyone from Greece on here? I seem to recall someone but I can't think of the name. Idk Carol if I was going to move somewhere for peppers I think it would have to be the Caribbean... Probably Trinidad.

The barrels I get hold 120 kilos in 180 liters, want to pitch in:)

Here's the barrels
3621638823_371f66c1ea.jpg

Here's the company
3621646677_900dc31228.jpg

POTAWIE said:
The barrels I get hold 120 kilos in 180 liters, want to pitch in:)

Here's the barrels
3621638823_371f66c1ea.jpg

Here's the company

Heck just loan them to me and I will take them to Fort Worth and fill them up when AJ's not looking. Shhhhh...:lol:

I also have smaller olive barrels which I have been able to fill with pickled chiles, but not golden Greek's yet.

POTAWIE said:
Here's the company

"Tragano is a town and a municipality in the northern part of the prefecture of Ilia in the western Peloponnese..." - from Statemaster Encyclopedia

Egggxcellent...! :cool:
Yes, now we need a Euro friend or two to do some seed collecting...

Back