• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

golden greek pepperoncini

I think we can start by seeing if any members here have a desirable version.
Here's some pepperoncini reviews from the link I provided earlier
http://www.paleotechnics.com/Articles/Pepperoncini.html

"PEPPERONCINI: My ideal of pepperoncini-hood embodies these virtues: wrinkly, tender fleshed, an appetizing bright color, not hot (or if so barely) and possessed of a deep and complex flavor including a zingy pepper flavor. None of the varieties I have tried so far have completely lived up to this ideal, but some are quite good or even damn close. What I do not like in a pepperoncini are crunchiness, thick skin, bright yellow dyed color, too much heat, a vinegary taste and just poor flavor.

There are two common types of pepperoncini: Greek and Italian. Greek types are shorter with blunt noses, while Italian types are long and skinny, often crescent shaped and come to a point. Both are wrinkly. The hybridized variety Robustini is something else altogether, maybe a cross of the two? In my experience so far, the Greeks tend to loose their color more while the Italians stay brighter and more golden.

Robustini is a hybrid pepperoncini that has a longish shape, but with a blunt nose. The seed is widely available. It is quite crunchy, and can be hot. I don’t like Robustini. I can say though that this pepper keeps its color well.

Greek Golden from Nichols seed company is large. The first year I grew it this variety seemed very tender, but hasn’t lived up to that reputation in the long run. Flavor mediocre.

Golden Greek Pepperoncini from Tomato Growers catalog is not worth the effort. It is large, crunchy, thick skinned, and has a bland yet slightly soapy flavor.

Fedco’s Tasty Golden Greek and Garden Trails Greek Pepperoncini appear to be the same variety. I couldn’t tell any difference. This one is pretty good. Flavorful, smaller, squat shape, pretty wrinkly and not hot. They are a little crunchy, not too bad, but not the tender succulent flesh I pine for. The color is not so great.

Wrinkled Old Man from Redwood City Seed Company. The catalogue says this is the closest thing you can get to a real pepperoncini in the U.S. Wrong! Don’t bother.

Italian Pepperoncini from Territorial Seed Company. They look neat and cure out to a nice yellow color. I would prefer these to any Greek type variety I’ve tried, but they are too crunchy and thick skinned for my taste. Then again, some people prefer a crunchier pepper.

Sigaretta di Bergamo from Gourmet Seed International. Unfortunately, this pepper has been replaced by one called Sigaretta Dulce which is just no good. The original packets of Sigaretta di Bergamo were packaged by the N. Sgaravatti company of Italy. One can only hope that GSI will start carrying the first Sig. Berg again. Peppers are 4 to 6 inches long, pointy, curled and bumpy/wrinkly. They are very tender if picked at the right stage and seem to hold on the plant slightly better than other varieties because they are naturally tender and thin skinned. The finished color is a nice translucent golden yellow, much lighter than greek types I’ve tried. As a bonus, peppers left on the plant mature into sweet and flavorful red frying peppers. For now Sigaretta di Bergamo is my new benchmark and I can live with it indefinitely. I’ve had trouble with this company’s customer service in the past, but they seem to be doing OK lately. (Try their Giant Bulgarian Leek while you’re at it.)

Stavros greek pepperoncini is a very close second to Sig. Bergamo above. The peppers have a beautiful color, nice tender texture when pickled at the right stage and excellent flavor. I'll be growing this variety again."

POTAWIE said:
I think we can start by seeing if any members here have a desirable version.
Here's some pepperoncini reviews from the link I provided earlier

Stavros greek pepperoncini is a very close second to Sig. Bergamo above. The peppers have a beautiful color, nice tender texture when pickled at the right stage and excellent flavor. I'll be growing this variety again."

Well, I have the Stavros. Not the Holy Grail of Sig. Bergamo apparently, but I have first and second generation pale ones (pictured above) and another batch of first generation which all seem to be a bit darker. But I gave some seedlings to a friend too and I haven't visited lately to see what they look like.

I'll work some more on the pickling recipe.

One last post (no, really!) on the pickling thing...

I found a source for the sodium bisulfite theory:
Google books

Looks like a two stage pickling process where they're de-salted after the first phase. Also confirms the Tragano origin of authenicity.

Picked all the Greeks last night so I can do some pickling experiments. I got myself some Fruit Fresh and some pickling lime to start with. Don't really want to go all sodium bisulfite if I can help it - besides, I have no idea where to buy that stuff around here.

As you can see, they're all different shapes and sizes. That's a small, yellowish wax on the lower right for comparison. Oh, and a 16oz cup of white hab - decided it was time to strip the ripe ones and do ... something ... with them.

greekharvest.jpg

c.

caroltlw said:
Picked all the Greeks last night so I can do some pickling experiments. I got myself some Fruit Fresh and some pickling lime to start with. Don't really want to go all sodium bisulfite if I can help it - besides, I have no idea where to buy that stuff around here.

As you can see, they're all different shapes and sizes. That's a small, yellowish wax on the lower right for comparison. Oh, and a 16oz cup of white hab - decided it was time to strip the ripe ones and do ... something ... with them.

greekharvest.jpg

c.

Wow, if that don't make my mouth water!;)
Great lil harvest there...

joeknowsjolokia said:
Wow, if that don't make my mouth water!;)
Great lil harvest there...

Yeah, no idea how much they weigh. (sorry AJ ;) ) They really put on fruit fast. I on;y left the very smallest pods on the plants.

So it's safe to say that the Pepperoncini plant I got from Cross Country is not the real deal?

I have had several varieties of the Pepperoncini before and they just don't come close to the ones you get at pappa john's. Must be something specific in the processing of the peppers and not just the type itself.

I'm deciding whether to grow these Greeks again. Has anybody besides Carolw had any success with pickling these and what was your seed source? Does anyone have a good alternative mild pepper for pickling?

I am planning a trip in June 2010 to Greece, for 4 weeks. My wife's stepfather is from there and we've been thinking about it for a long time. He owns a small piece of farmland / farmhouse in the mountains. Unfortunately that location gets snow in the winter so I don't think anything would overwinter there naturally - I was thinking of sneaking some pepper plants into the ground. :)

I can't wait to see what I can find in the region for peppers!

Also, I have some pepperoncini seeds from Tomato Growers (not "golden greek", the other ones) to try this year.

Hey Luckydog did you get those seeds from the last us/canada parcel? if so they were pickled i didnt realize they wouldn't grow till right after i sent it out. But you say you were able to grow a pickled seed is a good thing to know. After realizing my seeds probabily won't wor.k i sought out after some golden greeks and have a seedling hardening off right now. i will post pics of upates
You gotta try pickled golden greek pepperoncini's diced on a pizza with alittle ham bacon red onion. HOLY LORD!

I have some Robustini pepperoncini seeds. I grew them in 09 and a friend of mine pickled 4 quarts for me but I have not tried them yet. You are more than welcome to some seeds if you like. (anyone is welcome to some of the seeds).

Interesting thread (thanks for the redirection, POTAWIE).

Reviving it to say that I'm trying these next season, and that my climate *may* be appropriately similar to their indigenous growing areas. Central Texas reproduces many grapes, olives, herbs and other plants that grow in the Med.

We'll see how it goes...

i love those peppers, even though lately i've been using them to flavor cucumber pickles by keeping them in the same jar for a few weeks...

if you get your hands on some hot fefferoni though, they are just like those peppers in terms of flavorfulness, but with a very very nice kick.
earlier this year i tried to get my hands on those to no avail.

POTAWIE said:
These are quite popular peppers but most delis or pickled versions are picked green and then they use chemicals to further strip the color and then pickle them. Now my question is why do they go through this process, and aren't the peppers better when ripe red, or at least with some color? What does everyone here do with there pepperoncinis and who can comment on a good seed source.
I've grown untrue seeds years ago from Reimers(Never buy from them) and I've got seeds from Tomatogrowers, but have heard 1 poor review of their version. I'm still planning on growing them to see for myself.
"Golden Greek Pepperoncini from Tomato Growers catalog is not worth the effort. It is large, crunchy, thick skinned, and has a bland yet slightly soapy flavor."

I don't know why he doesn't like crunchiness in his peppers(he describes this as a negative in the article)
very interesting

would love to grow these bad boys, perfect for me coz I'm going to culinary school. =D

now where to find seeds? lol

JayT said:
I checked into that once and I found that most of the crushed red pepper is Arbol.

How did you determine that? I've read from a few places that it's typically mostly cayenne and poblano, but one of those is wikipedia and the claim is not sourced. It may be that the others are copying the unsourced information from wikipedia.

It seems a little mild to me to be arbol, but I don't know. Has anyone here tried growing seeds from crushed red pepper to see what comes out?

Back