beer Great Lake Brewing Christmas Ale

I went to the corner beer store. They have signs everywhere "CHRISTMAS ALE IS HERE" GREAT LAKE BREWING CHRISTMAS ALE. So I bought a six pack....a lil pricey, $10.99 for a 6 pack. I took the first bottle cracked it open with the church key and gave it a good sniff. Has a nice barley yet hoppy scent to it. The combination of honey, ginger and cinnnamin flavors are quite nice and stick with you a bit. It has a cool "coppery" color to it. At 7.5% it packs a lil kick but its a good kick (after drinking all 6 in a rapid succesion you achieve a pleasant buzz)that doesn't sit real heavy on you at all. I did not (do not) have the bloated feeling you get with other beers. Definatly a full bodied beer and not for someone who like a light beer. Here I sit 10 minutes or so after drinking the last Christmas Ale and the flavors are still swirlling lightly around my mouth a noticable combination of Ginger (just the flavor not the spiciness of it) and Cinnomin. It is an Ale that I will buy again fo enjoy!! After enjoying a 6 pack it is obvious why Great Lakes Brewing won a GOLD Medal with the Christmas Ale at the World Beer Championships!!!

Just mu .02.............need to grab another beer............

Dude a six pack of any full strength beer in quick like drinking style would pack a punch, 7.5%? Go post in the drunk thread! :rofl:

Novacastrian said:
Dude a six pack of any full strength beer in quick like drinking style would pack a punch, 7.5%? Go post in the drunk thread! :rofl:

lol...not drunk though I did have a good buzz....

yuppers...the other Christmas Ale I tried was released by Thirsty Dog....Excelent!! Even better than Great Lakes!!! It has a very smooth flavor to it. If you like Great Lakes you'll love Thirsty Dogs Christmas Ale!!!!!!! (it is another locally brewed)

Dyce51 said:
yuppers...the other Christmas Ale I tried was released by Thirsty Dog....Excelent!! Even better than Great Lakes!!! It has a very smooth flavor to it. If you like Great Lakes you'll love Thirsty Dogs Christmas Ale!!!!!!! (it is another locally brewed)

I thought the thirsty dog closed? My bad, I know the one ion canton closed, is the one in montrose still there? And their x-mas ale is great.

I normally LOVE Christmas Ale, but this year's version was bleh.
Too much cinnamon or something, it tasted more "hot" than anything.
Hopefully next year they'll go back to the old formulation.

ipreferamediumroast said:
I thought the thirsty dog closed? My bad, I know the one ion canton closed, is the one in montrose still there? And their x-mas ale is great.

Noooooo! Don't tell me they closed. I love Thirsty Dog. In fact I have a sixpack of Siberian Night Imperial Stout right now!

I've never had or seen this Christmas ale, but so far everything I've had from Great Lakes has been really good...particularly the Blackout Stout! Will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled this weekend when I finally buy some new beer.

not much of a jump from 27% to 32%, yes the other is higher but not by leaps an bounds, I was thinking I'd see something in the 50% before I clicked the link.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin, as the beer is called, was aged for a year-and-a-half in whiskey casks and stored at -4 degrees Fahrenheit for three weeks to boost the alcohol content. Only 500 bottles were made, available for $50 a pop.

BrewDog stirred controversy earlier this year when it released an 18.2 percent beer called Tokyo, which was called "irresponsible" and reportedly banned. The brewers responded by releasing a 1.1 percent brew called "Nanny State."

Hahaha!!!

chilehunter said:
not much of a jump from 27% to 32%, yes the other is higher but not by leaps an bounds, I was thinking I'd see something in the 50% before I clicked the link.
Higher is higher... 27.5% is higher too, and when talking about high levels it would be relevant.

chilehunter said:

penguin348x232.jpg

This brewer is a penguin. Your argument is invalid. :rofl:

All in good fun, mate.

Anything more than a stiff barleywine or a belgian quad and I start not liking it as much.

A snifter of Utopias was a great moment for me, an entire pint of that monster Scot brew would probably be too much to enjoy.

Don't quote me, I was just pointing out higher is higher.

Back