• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Greatest challenge

Mine has been trying to grow Rocotos. How do you grow these peppers? I'm in zone 8b and I've got only one left out of 3 I had last year. I'm afraid that I need another one in order to pollinate (from one I've heard). Last year I had beautiful plants with flowers but no pods. Should I just give up?

What are some of your growing issues?

LOL - they are tough. I have to hand pollinate all mine. Once you do that, you'll get a ton of pods. From the Redwood City grow tips page: "Pollen is produced on the stamens, and usually ripens between noon and 3 PM every day. Take a moistened water-color paint brush, and pick up some pollen on your brush and transfer it to the other flower centers. You can get close to 100% fruit set with hand pollination." One thing I like about Manzano/Rocoto is they won't die and are easy to overwinter. These plants require the least care and just make pods. I'm kind of sick of them to tell you the truth. All mine are going in the powder mill this year. Hope that helps.

Source: http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

I will keep trying. I do believe the Pubescens aren't well-suited for this oppressive Florida heat, however. I suspect they prefer the nice cool nights they must get in the Andes where they thrive.

Have you tried growing them in your area, Splitcane?

I personally never have much luck with C. pubescens, and I've tried many different growing tecniques and locations:(
You don't need a second plant for pollinating C. pubescens, I believe that is just a rumor

Thanks bigT. I will give hand pollination a try. I've never done that. It makes me wonder what type of insects they have "down there" that we don't have here in Florida? You are right about being fairly easy to grow. My lone Manzano plant is a Yellow and this will be it's 3rd season.

lol... FL. sure anit short on bugs..."-)

No I have not tried the Rocotos here in CO., we are at 6000' so it gets pretty hot in the summer. Might try shade cloth over them, it will reduce the noon heat by 15* to 20* degrees. Also Hydro would be an answer as you can cool the reservoir and give your plants a cool refreshing drink, in combo with the shade cloth might do the trick...

I use shade cloth over my raised beds in the full sun to protect from the blazing noon day sun, then the pounding Hail that is soon to follow. The shade is the size of the bed ( 4' x 8' ) and is bungeed to a 1" conduit frame like a biminy top (sp?) on a boat, allows morning and late afternoon direct sun on the plants but reduces the high noon sun...

Here are a few links of interest...

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Shade-Cloth/departments/1117/

http://www.ysbw.com/Flat-Roof-Canopy-Parts-for-Shade-Canopy-s/89.htm

Bob_B said:
Thanks bigT. I will give hand pollination a try. I've never done that. It makes me wonder what type of insects they have "down there" that we don't have here in Florida? You are right about being fairly easy to grow. My lone Manzano plant is a Yellow and this will be it's 3rd season.

You'll be surprised by the results. I remember the 1st year when I had all these flowers and no pods and I stumbled on the info. Just get a dark brush so you can see the pollen. Take it off the flowers with a lot of pollen and transfer it to the ones with not so much. Mine are on the 3rd year too and they just keep getting bigger. I have never even changed the soil. I have two, one is enough IMO.

I grow pubescens quite a bit, have never hand-pollinated and get plenty of fruit. They do best in cooler conditions.

Chiles self-pollinate.

My first year growing them in central florida.Both red and yellow plants healthy now,our nights are still cool.I've heard shadecloth is the best solution in hot areas like this.Each 16" tall and no blooms yet.In 3 gal soon to be 5's for the 1st year.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

I have no choice but to try the hand pollination technique suggested by bigT. Thank you bigT.

Last year, I moved the plants in an area of muted sun underneath some Pittosporum trees. They bloomed with wild abandon and yet no pods. This same area is where I keep my chiltepin red and chiltepin amarillo where they produce exceptionally well.

I will keep trying since this hobby is one where experimentation keeps me interested.

Again, thanks everyone.

Bob_B said:
Thanks for the replies everyone...

I have no choice but to try the hand pollination technique suggested by bigT. Thank you bigT.

Last year, I moved the plants in an area of muted sun underneath some Pittosporum trees. They bloomed with wild abandon and yet no pods. This same area is where I keep my chiltepin red and chiltepin amarillo where they produce exceptionally well.

I will keep trying since this hobby is one where experimentation keeps me interested.

Again, thanks everyone.

You're welcome Bob. Hand pollination will work, we just don't have the right bugs here to do the job for us.

I grew rocotos last year, knew nothing about them, did nothing special and they did amazingly well. Beautiful foliage, lots of pods, wet cold spring and late summer. I don't know which factors played a part but they did fine, growing them again this year.

Back