• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Green sauce

Does anyone have recommendations for a green sauce? Since it has started to get cold during night here I had to pull a ton of unripe bhuts in prep for OWing the plants. Maybe I can do a ferment too but I know the sugar content when green is super low. Any suggestions?

laynlow said:
I have 0 experience doing this, but I've heard you can put them in a brown paper bag and they will ripen.

Depends on how far along they were when you picked them.  It has been my experience that you will be more likely to lose them to mold than get them to ripen, unless they were mostly red or orange when you picked them.  Best I got was a green pepper turned a sickly yellow color . . . best to use it green than lose it.  I made a salsa with finely diced green Butch Ts that turned out pretty good.

Thanks for responses. I do have them in paper bags right now and the ones that were partially ripe seem to be turning a little more red.

Pepperdaddler - ill have to try that recipe out. Is there another type of pepper that would pair well with the bhuts as green? I was also thinking tomatillos since i have some o those too. Thanks

Throw a banana peel in the bag with them and it will help them along.

Green Mash to ferment (1 gallon jar)

3 Lbs Green peppers
2 med onions
6 cloves garlic
4 med Tomatillos
3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 or 3 Carrots shredded

chop up all ingredients or run through a food processor and add to the jar, I like to use the big Mission Pickle jars, add a cup of whey, see the Fermenting 101 thread for how to collect it, then top off with lukewarm salt water. Find a spot where it's dark and about 80 to 90 degrees and forget about it for about 45 days. You might want to put a container under it in case it leaks out some of the liquid. When time is up process according to the Fermenting 101 and Hot Sauce making 101 threads.

Enjoy,
RM

If you think they are too green, cut them into rings and caramelize them in a pan. This will bring the natural sweetness to the surface and add depth of flavor to the pepper, whilst cutting any bitterness.

Then, follow any recipes posted already. I'd do a tomatillo sauce with garlic.

Yeah, it works, think of how an onion loses it's bite and turns sweet when you caramelize it, just from the natural sugars of the onion.

The sugars are there, they just need to be caramelized. Less in peppers but they are there.

Back