Green vs. Red

Its the "green" part of your statement that confuses me. It doesn't matter if they are red or green though, they are still botanically fruit aren't they?

"Although botanically speaking, the fruit of capsicums are berries, the peppers are considered vegetables (e.g. bell peppers) or spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) for culinary purposes based on factors including fleshiness and intensity of flavor."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper

Its the "green" part of your statement that confuses me. It doesn't matter if they are red or green though, they are still botanically fruit aren't they?

"Although botanically speaking, the fruit of capsicums are berries, the peppers are considered vegetables (e.g. bell peppers) or spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) for culinary purposes based on factors including fleshiness and intensity of flavor."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper
IDK, I'm under the impression they any plant that bears seeds is a fruit, regardless if it is sweet or tangy or not...

Whoever said green chilies are considered vegetables is a nut. Chilies are fruits, no matter the color. Some, for example green jalapenos, have earthy, savory flavors, so they are used in the same context as a vegetable, but they are fruits none-the-less. Ok... enough of the rant...

I prefer red chilies. I believe that anything a jalapeno can do, a fresno can do better.

I think I read it in a Paul Bosland book. Maybe he is a nut though lol

I think the entire idea of fruits being called vegetables is beyond retarded. Some interesting links:

http://www.tomatogardeningguru.com/history.html
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=149&invol=304
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariff_of_1883

The Tomato & Scientists... vs. The Prevailing Greedy Idiots. That's pretty much how it went from what I understand. Just like so many other mind-blowingly dumb laws in this country. Common sense, sanity and intelligence never win.

I tend to avoid calling any botanical fruits "vegetables." If it contains seeds, it's a fruit... no questions asked. What kind of fruit, that's another matter completely, but it's still a fruit. I'll call them by their proper name (ie. tomato or pumpkin) before I'd ever call them a vegetable. I hate using the term at all, but if I have to use it it's for broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, lettuce, spinach, and other leafy or stem plant parts. But I don't really care for those foods, so I guess a name I don't like fits them well...

"Spices" is another word I hate, because it is often used in a way that lumps in herbs as well...

yep, if it flowers, the result is a fruit afterwards.

No such thing as a "vegetable" by the botanical deffinition, and nothing else holds weight in terms of plants.

I tend to avoid calling any botanical fruits "vegetables." If it contains seeds, it's a fruit... no questions asked. What kind of fruit, that's another matter completely, but it's still a fruit. I'll call them by their proper name (ie. tomato or pumpkin) before I'd ever call them a vegetable. I hate using the term at all, but if I have to use it it's for broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, lettuce, spinach, and other leafy or stem plant parts. But I don't really care for those foods, so I guess a name I don't like fits them well...

"Spices" is another word I hate, because it is often used in a way that lumps in herbs as well...

I hear you, but if you want to get technical raspberries and blackberries aren't berries, they're aggregate fruits. Mulberries aren't berries, they're multiple fruits. Strawberries aren't berries, they're accesory fruits. Chiles, tomatoes, grapes, and eggplants are berries. Peanuts aren't nuts, but legumes. Açaí berries aren't berries, but drupes. Brazil nut is not a nut, it's a seed. Walnuts, pistachios, and almonds aren't nuts, they're drupes. Coffee beans aren't beans, they're seeds of the coffee berries. It's pretty much impossible to call these things by their correct biological categories without annoying and confusing people.

I think it's pretty stupid that mild chiles are considered vegetables in culinary terms yet spicy chiles are considered spices much of the time. Even the relatively milder ones like cayenne and jalapeno. It also annoys me that chiles are frequently spelled "chili" or "chilli". I type in the correct spelling in google to do searches and I have to click one of those stupid mispellings just to find what I'm looking for. I hate calling them chile "peppers" too. I don't know what Christopher Columbus was smoking when he thought they tasted like black pepper, they have nothing to do with pepper. The fact that "pepper" and "peppers" refer to two completely unrelated plants is dumb. Also don't like how people in some countries call mild chiles and hot chiles by two completely different names (England and Australia I believe?). That's stupid too, imo, but enough ranting about trivial matters. :o

While we're on the subject, one day a female friend texted me to ask if pumpkins are a fruit or a vegetable. I told her they're fruit since they contain seeds inside. She texted back "so does that mean cucumbers and pickles are fruits too?" :lol:

I being from North America also use the word chile, but in different parts of the world its chili, chilli or many other derivatives. Its not like one way to spell it is right or excepted universally ;)

yeah like how chinense is labeled wrongly..

I like where this thread is going, this is all very interesting to me.

I being from North America also use the word chile, but in different parts of the world its chili, chilli or many other derivatives. Its not like one way to spell it is right or excepted universally ;)

Right, but chile is the correct Spanish spelling, and the word comes from Mexican Spanish, so it's the most etymologically correct spelling. The Spanish word comes from the Nahuatl language of course, but we can't exactly spell it their way because Nahuatl doesn't use the latin alphabet. If we're going to spell it "chili" or "chilli" then why don't we just anglicise jalapeño and habanero and spell them "hallapainyo" and "abbanairo" while we're at it? Botanists and chefs almost universally use the "chile" spelling, and so does The Chile Pepper Institute. Unfortunately we're never going to get rid of that pepper tag along, Columbus really screwed us on that one. And "Indian" too. I don't know how many times I've said "Indian" as in people/food from India and people thought I was referring to "Native American". :o

To me, chile is a fruit that grows on plants of the capsicum genus, chili is a southwestern US stew made from chiles and meat. Chile powder is ground chiles, while chili powder is a seasoning mix used to make chili. And "Chilli" is a just a strange, funny looking word that Britains use, that I had no idea even existed until I started searching the internet for information on chiles. Yeah I know I'm picking nits, but it's all in fun. :)

Try to tell that to the Europeans and Aussies ;) To try to convert everyone to using the worrd chile is not going to be easy but good luck

This conversation makes me chuckle. I see a whole lot of technical knowledge being displayed as to whether something is a fruit or vegetable. I'm so glad you know the difference but it's just too complicated for my brain these days so my method enables me and everyone else to understand what I'm talking about. A pepper is a pepper, tomato, strawberry or cabbage, whatever. I personally subscribe to the KISS philosophy in my older age, keep it simple stupid, it avoids a lot of mistakes and I know what I'm eating. I am sure this is not the method everyone will appreciate but it works for me. A fancy label does not make it taste any better or worse. That's just my two cents.

Right, but chile is the correct Spanish spelling, and the word comes from Mexican Spanish, so it's the most etymologically correct spelling. The Spanish word comes from the Nahuatl language of course, but we can't exactly spell it their way because Nahuatl doesn't use the latin alphabet. If we're going to spell it "chili" or "chilli" then why don't we just anglicise jalapeño and habanero and spell them "hallapainyo" and "abbanairo" while we're at it? Botanists and chefs almost universally use the "chile" spelling, and so does The Chile Pepper Institute. Unfortunately we're never going to get rid of that pepper tag along, Columbus really screwed us on that one. And "Indian" too. I don't know how many times I've said "Indian" as in people/food from India and people thought I was referring to "Native American". :o

To me, chile is a fruit that grows on plants of the capsicum genus, chili is a southwestern US stew made from chiles and meat. Chile powder is ground chiles, while chili powder is a seasoning mix used to make chili. And "Chilli" is a just a strange, funny looking word that Britains use, that I had no idea even existed until I started searching the internet for information on chiles. Yeah I know I'm picking nits, but it's all in fun. :)

Hahaha but hasn't America taken the English language and changed it to an American/English mixture? ie colour/color
icon_razz.gif

okay now we're going off topic. lol.

about english, you can just imagine a country like mine that's been influenced by so many cultures.

our english is mostly american english. but there are a lot of us who also mix it up with british english. you can only imagine how messed up it is. our measuring system alone is so mixed up. both use the metric system and the us system.

Hahaha but hasn't America taken the English language and changed it to an American/English mixture? ie colour/color
icon_razz.gif

True, we like to use z instead of s sometimes too, e.g. recognise/recognize

It's not as bad as Mexican Spanish though, that's almost like a whole 'nother language sometimes. :lol:

Back