• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse GreenHouse/PolyTunnel

that looks pretty good to me...but then again, I have never had a poly tunnel...

if I needed a "greenhouse" year round, I would probably build one...I wanted something that was completely removable so I opted for this...

111008a001.jpg

I can put it up or take it down in about an hour...

My next greenhouse will definitely have roof vents to help cool things off and add circulation. My current polytunnel gets so hot during the summer that its not practical to use, and thats with a shade cloth and blower running, and a Canada climate.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Here is a hoop house made out of pvc tubing.
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

That's the one I built. Easy up, easy down, and it worked very well. I did think they got a little hand wavey about the ends and a door, and I went with spring clamps rather then the black poly pipe for clamps. I also used the "optional" 1/2-inch PVC pipe (12-inch lengths), to reinforce the joints.

HoopHouse4050.jpg

Inside4042.jpg

ExtremeBurn said:
wow... that looks great pam!

It worked pretty well, however, on the coldest night, it still needed to be heated. I overwintered some plants 2007/2008, but I didn't do it this year because it trying to heat it was too expensive. I will use it as a season extender, but not to overwinter plants again.

POTAWIE said:
My next greenhouse will definitely have roof vents to help cool things off and add circulation. My current polytunnel gets so hot during the summer that its not practical to use, and thats with a shade cloth and blower running, and a Canada climate.
I was thinging of using it for winter and to get an early start, but if yours was hot in the summer
Potawie then it would be like an oven here in Australia, I might have to look in to vents also

Pam said:
That's the one I built. Easy up, easy down, and it worked very well. I did think they got a little hand wavey about the ends and a door, and I went with spring clamps rather then the black poly pipe for clamps. I also used the "optional" 1/2-inch PVC pipe (12-inch lengths), to reinforce the joints.

AlabamaJack said:
that looks pretty good to me...but then again, I have never had a poly tunnel...

if I needed a "greenhouse" year round, I would probably build one...I wanted something that was completely removable so I opted for this...

Maybe I should opt for a semi permenant for now to see haow it goes before I spend the bucks???

AlabamaJack said:

111008a001.jpg

AJ, did you just recently build that retaining wall? I don't remember seeing that in any of your other pics :shocked:.

Dale

joeknowsjolokia said:
My whole yard is on a hill. If I set up a green house I will have to build a platform first.:(

mine is turning into more permanent every day and I have decided to leave the frame up and take the cover off when it gets warm enough and stays...then use the frame as frame for shade cloth in July/August...

thepodpiper said:
AJ, did you just recently build that retaining wall? I don't remember seeing that in any of your other pics :shocked:.

Dale

yes sir...had it built late last summer...I documented it photographically from start to finish in this thread...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7439&highlight=project

I've got the basic concept of my greenhouse in my mind - 12x16' with a height on one side of 10 ft. dropping to 6 ft. on the other side. Two walls, which receive very little direct sunlight, will be wood and extremely well insulated. The back wall will have garden hose running back and forth with either red or blue plastic covering it. My former neighbor (who was a rocket scientist - seriously!) suggested the hose as the best way to transfer heat to the water. The water will run through the hose to a couple of small radiators, sort of like a passive solar heating system.

The one question that is still completely up in the air is what kind of heat to use. I found this heater that will produce more than enough BTUs. Googling shows a pound of propane will produce about 90,000 BTUs at a cost of about $1.70 per gallon. For $1.70 I can buy 17 Kw hrs. of electricity that will produce about 58,000 BTU.

There are no commercial greenhouses around here whose owner's brains I can pick. Plus, the obvious choice - natural gas, would be far too expensive to install.

Anyone have experience in this area? Dale, how far along are you in your planning?

Mike

Back