Greetings from a new chilihead

If we go back in time some ago, I used to think the famous tabasco sauce was hot.. oh boy how wrong I was!

Well long story short, my friend Lordbhorak bought a set of habaneros and set a challange, if he would eat one I would do it as well! Well at last new year I couped up with that challenge.. altough my friend suggested I'd notch it up a bit, as in playing guitar hero at the same time.. >_<

But anyways, that's when it all started. I thought it would be pretty nice if I could grow my own chiles and hopefully enjoy the harvest someday. Thus the idea somehow became quite an obsession :)

At first, I ordered around 15 different species from professional Finnish grower (www.fatalii.org) and indeed I got hefty amount to start with, for he sent me 5-10 seeds per species as well as some random seeds (which some may even be quite rare, like lancelatum or galapagonense) and before I knew I was ordering some fluerescent lights (2x36w) as well as some compact fluerescent bulbs for the little seedlings.

Following the instructions by Fatalii and some other chili experts I ordered some hefty amount of small rockwood cubes, in which I germinated my first chili batch. Altough my heater was waaay over the preferred specs (90 wats) I was able to maintain the stable 27-30 degrees by frantically putting it on and off manually.

That was around 1.5 months ago and right now I have 12 small chili plants growing, including couple of annuums (for ornamental and bonzais) some baccatums, one pubescens; the turbo pube which I know will be pretty hard to grow indoors, for I have no balcony or greenhouse... And one Tabasco (c.frutescens) and couple of chinenses for some extreme heat!

Right now all of my babies are growing in basic-fertilized peat and I'm using BioBizz fertilizers to boost the growth (BioGrow, Alg-A-Mig and Root-Juice for now) but when they go to flowring phase I'll add some Top-Max and start using Bio-Bloom as basic fertilizer.

But, as you know the hunger grows as you eat... So I'm building some hydroponics for couple of reasons. My studio is quite limited in space and I just can't put 10L bubblers to my window still. So I'm planning of building two Ebb & Flood systems. Both using aroudn 35L reservoir of nutrients. Other will get a shallow plastic box as an growing reservoir (around 70cm x 40 cm x 15 cm) and the other one will be quite like the balcony boxes... Like 80 cm long, 20 cm wide and around 15 cm tall. I'm planning to use FloraMato and FloraMicro (from General Hydroponics) as a nutrients and most likely I'll use big rockwool cubes as a growing medium to keep the plants up and straight!

I'll put baccatums and annuums to same Ebb & Flow and Chinenses & and Frutescens to same, for the all require different kinds of nutritions solution.

Sadly the tap water in my area (Helsinki, Finland) is around 8 so I'll drop it down with GH's Ph down solution to around 6.5-7 which is most suitable for chilies!

I'll gladly post the details of my planned Ebb systems if someone interested and please, as I'm a beginnner correct me if I'm wrong about something.

And Hi from me, too.

I'm Malec's fellow chili-assistant. More in the supporting him mentally side and talking to their chilies...

For some odd reason I can't edit my post... >_<

So I was just about to say that I've left my 2x36W for the seedlings for I just got a nice and shiny 250W CFL lamp from the Finnish Chili Association with pretty nice ballast for only 70€!

Altough it's 2700k one which, as you know is lot better for flowreing phase. But it seems to be quite good for vegetation phase as well, and if it doesn't look so good I can always put some 6400K fluerescents on them while on the vegetation phase!

I'll try to get some photos as well, I don't own a camera but I'll try to get one to put up some photos so I can.

If someone is interested of building a EBB & Flood type of hydroponics from cheap parts we'll add somekind of tutorial about it, when we actually get/find the parts needed :)

My Habanero Hero

MALEC hi :lol: 1st Welcome from Oz to THP, great place with heaps of nice People.

can't wait to see pics the plants when they are bigger....

im laughing now even as i type just thinking of your Vid and even went out and bought Guitar Hero 3 (for those of you that haven't seen, this is sheer brilliance
)

and Hi to Lord Bhorak too, Love your vid of the Savina also :) It Looked so Hot i Had to do it.. but when i saw the Beer and Sour milk going together "oh dear this may not be good" popped into head, well done..

take care Malec, u too Lord..:lol:

Well how small this world really is!

Neil I have to say I'm more than surprised to see your name here, and since I have the change I have to tip my hat and commend your integrity in the world of chili eating!

I'm more than eager to see how the chilies from as far as Australia will grow in conditions like here in Finland. I would assume they will protest from the start about the change of climate and growing conditions but if they really start to grow I'm thinking of trying to breed some baccatums from Australia with some chilies that has been grown in Finnish conditions for quite some time!

I would assume the F1 will give seeds that'll spring a plant unlike anything we have seen in our northern climate!

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas

it is a small world Malec and being the Hottest place on the net, its warm and friendly. i like it, plus have found a place/people i can relate too which is an added Bonus

Malec said:
I would assume the F1 will give seeds that'll spring a plant unlike anything we have seen in our northern climate!

:) the funnest (is that a word?) part of cross's is seeing what pop ups after crosspollinating then planting. Some plants look cool and some look stupid and ya never know whats gonnna Pop up but its always worth the wait..

take care.......

Back