Greetings from Dubai

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. Born in the States, grew up in South Africa, now living in Dubai, where I'm hoping that the climate makes for a 12 month chili growing season. Seeds can be a little hard to come by over here though, especially anything more exotic than a cayenne - guess you can't have everything!

Love the pictures of all your chilis though - really inspiring. Just wish the wife would give me a little more space in the garden for my babies!

Welcom_From_Wisconsin.gif

Has growth of the city slowed much? Love to visit there! Modern Marvels documentary -----mind blowing! WOW

Enjoy_The_Site_Spicy_Chicken.gif

Growth has slowed tremendously - looking out of my office window I can see some of the same buildings that were under construction 3 years ago still draped in stationary cranes, half built and little progress made. A few of the others have now been completed though, so growth hasn't come to a complete standstill. It will pick up again though, although I hope at a more realistic pace. At the peak of the boom Dubai was completely out of control.

Very interesting place so i have heard. Welcome to thp mate, i hope you stick around.

For seeds visit www.thehippyseedcompany.com
Its an Australian seed company run by one of the nicest blokes you would ever meet. Look up chilli tests on youtube thats the bloke right there lol.

Peeps here will tell you other places to obtain the exotics im sure.

Welcome Bliksem! :cheers:
As long as you provide some shade to your plants at summer's peak, I think you'll have the perfect climate!
I too, like Nova, recommend you purchasing your seeds from www.thehippyseedcompany.com. Neil will ship it anywhere and has a VERY wide selection of chiles of all types. also only recently a Trinidad Scorpion raised from his seeds achieved the highest score on the Scoville-meter (heat level) ever recorded, which means it's the hottest known pepper on earth! of course there are also great products and service as well.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Welcome Bliksem! :cheers:
As long as you provide some shade to your plants at summer's peak, I think you'll have the perfect climate!
I too, like Nova, recommend you purchasing your seeds from www.thehippyseedcompany.com. Neil will ship it anywhere and has a VERY wide selection of chiles of all types. also only recently a Trinidad Scorpion raised from his seeds achieved the highest score on the Scoville-meter (heat level) ever recorded, which means it's the hottest known pepper on earth! of course there are also great products and service as well.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Thanks Omri. I'll try the hippy dude out - just hope the seeds make it through customs here. I'll do a small test run first before I go nuts I think.

Yeah, although chilis apparently need "full sun," I don't think they had 50 degree heat in mind at the time (and that's 50 degrees Celcius, not Fahrenheit)! I have some shady areas already set aside for June / July / August when the temperatures get stupid here.

Thanks Omri. I'll try the hippy dude out - just hope the seeds make it through customs here. I'll do a small test run first before I go nuts I think.

Yeah, although chilis apparently need "full sun," I don't think they had 50 degree heat in mind at the time (and that's 50 degrees Celcius, not Fahrenheit)! I have some shady areas already set aside for June / July / August when the temperatures get stupid here.
Yes, I know what you mean.
While most people here struggle with cold and keeping their plants warm during the winter, mine suffer mainly of burns.
If it does reach the 50s over there, I think you might need to consider a type of cloth/fabric/canvas-tent-kinda-thing to let just enough light in, but shelter them as well.

Good luck.

Back