• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Grilled Lobster

Just wondering if anyone grills lobster in this manner.

While stationed in Mozambique the fish market would slice the lobster in half the long way and just slap them on the grill (maybe a spritz of lime/lemon, they were pretty quick in preparing) . I usually got it served with some Per-Peri sauce on the side along with some salted fritas and vinegar.

In addition, we used to pick up awesome whole Peri-Peri chickens from the street vendors. At first I would surprise with myself having eaten a whole chicken but then the reality of them being yard birds hit.

I'm now germinating some African Bird's Eye seeds, maybe in a few months I'll be cooking my own Peri-Peri chicken. No grill though, I'll have to pop it in my french oven.

Grilled is the only way I cook my lobster. Here in So Cal I used to freedive the rock jetties for California Spiny lobster during lobster season and bring up quite a few by hand. The CA spiny is a LOT sweeter, but they don't have claws. The largest to date is just over 10lbs, but because it was so big and strong I had to get a 2nd guy to help me contain it since it wouldn't fit in my dive bag. That was back in the 90's before harvesting lobster was popular and wasn't fished out. Now your lucky to see a lobster at all since the commercial guys have a NO LIMIT license. I would cook them so fresh I had to use metal ties to tie down the tail to the grill because it was still flapping when it hit the grill!

Damn it! I keep clicking on this thread drooling waiting for pics and there are none. I SOOOO need some grilled lobster now.

IMO grilled seafood is the only way to go. Something about the smokiness and the taste of the sea.....good stuff. I mean grilled walleye beats broiled walleye hands done. Deep Fried Walleye is a different story.....but I digress. I've done lobster tails on the grill and they turned out great even though I find lobster to be somewhat overrated. Scallops and shrimp are also a must on the grill.

Maybe once I stop living in apartments I can take the opportunity to grill some lobster. If I go in my photo collection for 2003 maybe I can locate a picture of the lobster I had along with some of the crocodile steak and elephant jerky I ate in Mozambique.

Oh, and if anyone visits Kruger Park in S. Africa you have to try the Impala/Springbok Burger, amazing.

Here's one just to keep things going....

100_1366.jpg

My kids TORE THROUGH thos lobsters like they were the size of shrimp.....

....the steak didn't make it through the night either.

Feeding two 13 year old boys is getting tough!! :lol:

Back