• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Grilling stuffed superhots

Ive been grilling up bacon wrapped 7 pot poppers stuffed with various cream cheese mixtures for a little while now and for the life of me I cant seem to figure out a way to get the bacon crispy without having all the damn cream cheese melt and slide out of the peppers.

Anyone have any tips on how they grill the peppers without having all the contents come oozing out during the process?? I pretty much destroy my grill every time I try lol.

You could probably pre-cook the bacon a little to render out some of the moisture and fat. I've given up on all that, though. I just fry up some bacon until it gets crispy and shove a piece in each popper when they're done. It's way less of a pain in the ass that way.

Thanks for the input. That wont work for me unfortunately, I found a recipe on here a few years ago basically taking a 7 pot, hab or other smallish pepper, stuffing it with a cream cheese mixture, wrapping it in bacon completely and grilling until crispy. Then drizziling a little BBQ over the top and letting it carmalize. The bacon on the outside holds the BBQ until it carmalizes. 

They are fantastic, but a pain in the ass and destroy your grill lol. 

Looking for a better way to make them and not coming up with much. Ive seen those pepper racks you can use on your grill, but they are meant for jalapenos firstly, and secondly Im not sure the bacon would crisp up if it wasnt closer to the grill.

I was thinking maybe Ill just do them in halves, cut the peppers in half, wrap in half piece of bacon and grill face side up, it would stop the oozing at least, then I could throw down a piece of foil on the grill, put the peppers back on and then drizzle with the BBQ sauce. Carmalizing the BBQ sauce is a must, so is having the bacon crispy. 

Ive never had much luck getting crispy bacon in the oven but that might be an easier route then doing them on the grill?

Precook bacon as already stated.  You can also stuff you peppers ahead of time and give them some time in the freezer/fridge. Take the chilled peppers out of fridge, wrap in bacon and then try cooking them off.  Its all about timing!

Halving them longways is how I do it... and use thin bacon. The thinner the better. Cook on indirect heat so you can cook them longer and get the bacon done right. They won't get BLT sammich crispy, but they will get past the rubbery stage.

Edit: I've never tried to do this with a 7 pot, only jalapenos. Should work the same, though.

Since the bacon actually requires cooking, but the cream cheese filling just needs warming you may try cooking the bacon wrapped peppers without cream cheese until the bacon is nice and crisp.  Them pull them off one at a time and pipe in some warmed up cream cheese into the pepper, slather it with BBQ sauce, then put it back on the fire for 20 - 30 seconds to let it all come together.  I've seen pepper popper stands that keep the peppers upright, which would help keep the cream cheese from dripping out

It took me a while to figure it out myself.  I just chop the top of the pepper off and core them out.  Stuff em with the cream cheese and wrap tightly with bacon and obviously a toothpick to hold it on.  I put all my coals to one side of the grill and all the poppers on the other and cook them with indirect heat. Works like a charm.

Jamison said:
It took me a while to figure it out myself.  I just chop the top of the pepper off and core them out.  Stuff em with the cream cheese and wrap tightly with bacon and obviously a toothpick to hold it on.  I put all my coals to one side of the grill and all the poppers on the other and cook them with indirect heat. Works like a charm.

That's a good method and the one I use as well.  I also now cook the bacon till it's well crisped and the crumble it into the cream cheese mix.  All the bacon flavor, a little bit of texture and no less than appetizing floppy undercooked fatty bacon pieces or cooked bacon but exploded peppers w cheese everywhere.  You don't get the visual but you do get all the taste and no waste or mess.

If you're dead set on wrapping then I suggest using par or pre cooked bacon - it's already cooked but still pliable so it will yield better results than raw bacon wrappings.

I haven't used the BBQ for poppers yet, but in the oven, I find you can get a much longer cook time (especially useful with jalapeno/thicker skins) from lowering the temperature to around 325, without running cheese everywhere.

7 Pod poppers are the shit though :D

I cut open the peppers and stuff them then freeze.  Take them out, wrap them and grill.  Of course, if you like your bacon crispy, cooking it a bit before wrapping would help too.

Back