Griswold Cast Iron

So, from searching on e-bay it got me interested in Griswold Cast Iron. Basically what I found out it Griswold was produced from about 1880 (started under the "ERIE" name), then changed names to "Griswold" in around 1905 / 1906, it continued to be made and sold until 1957 when Wagner Manufacturing bought them out. So, if you buy a piece of Griswold at very least it would be about 53 years old. Search 'Griswold Cast Iron' on ebay and you'll see the price range - from $30 up to a couple hundred bucks depending on size, condition, and how sought after the piece is by collectors.

What is your guys opinion on this? Is it worth it? Why or why not? Does anyone have some Griswold pieces - if so where did you get them from. It does give me something to look for when I got to the thrift shop, goodwill stores, garage sales - see if I can pick up something for cheap.

-PP

You can't go wrong with either Griswold or Wagner....I happen to own the latter in the standard 10 inch size and am very happy with it. It came from my grandmother who got it from HER mother. It's about 80-90 years old, I'd say.

I also have an 8 inch and 14 inch skillet, a griddle, and huge Dutch oven.....but I've never looked to see who made them. ;)

I have a Griswold stovetop waffle iron. Picked it up at a garage sale 20-some years ago for really cheap. They are on eBay for $30-$130.

Out of the 6 other skillets and a chicken pan I have, 2 are Wagnerware, the rest are unmarked.

I've heard from others that the new Wagnerware and Lodge are being make in China and are not as good as the old ones. One person I know said they have cracked 2 of the new ones.

I've picked up all but 1 large skillet 2nd hand, I don't see any difference between the branded pans and the unbranded pans, If it's in good condition, or looks like it can be salvaged, go for it.

salsalady said:
I've picked up all but 1 large skillet 2nd hand, I don't see any difference between the branded pans and the unbranded pans, If it's in good condition, or looks like it can be salvaged, go for it.

See that's what I think, even if they are in ok condition (ie have some rust) there are plenty of websites out there that tell you how to restore cast iron. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for good buys. New or used doesn't make a difference to me.

I just found out that Walmart sells CI skillets, they are Iron Works and an 12 inch skillet is around $18. Is this a good find? Has anyone tried this brand?

If it's made in China then no, they make them with mixed cheap metals even though they say cast iron. They feel lighter. Lodge is a solid brand, I think they may even have them at Wally's.

Okay, this info was coming from my wife and after looking at their web site, it had to be lodge brand that she was looking at. Have you used this brand before? Doesn't seem like a bad price.

Lodge is the best. It's just pure cast iron and they have good shapes, etc.

If you do that please immediately forward all pics to DickT. :lol:

Here's the post from another forum about the "made in China" CI-

"I would avoid the Lodge brand of cast iron that is so prevalent these days. They are very thin. I have cracked two of them while blackening fish. I am currently using a 20 year old Benjamin Medwin 11.5 inch and am very happy with it. Much heavier and stronger than the Lodges I have owned but the BMs may be much different now as they are (like EVERYTHING) made in China."

And here's another kinda cool website all about cast iron-
http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/

TOO FUNNY! one of the recent posts on that BlackIrondude website is about making a habanero sauce!

salsalady said:
Here's the post from another forum about the "made in China" CI-

"I would avoid the Lodge brand of cast iron that is so prevalent these days. They are very thin. I have cracked two of them while blackening fish. I am currently using a 20 year old Benjamin Medwin 11.5 inch and am very happy with it. Much heavier and stronger than the Lodges I have owned but the BMs may be much different now as they are (like EVERYTHING) made in China."

And here's another kinda cool website all about cast iron-
http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/

TOO FUNNY! one of the recent posts on that BlackIrondude website is about making a habanero sauce!
This is disheartening but it makes sense since it's now available at Wal-Mart and never was before. My Lodge is USA made. Maybe 8 years old. Guess I'll hold onto it.

But are you sure you are correct?

Made in the USA. Lodge Manufacturing is America's oldest cookware manufacturer and foundry. Located in South Pittsburg, Tennessee for more than 100 years, Lodge has been perfecting the process of making cast iron cookware.

This was taken from the Lodge web site and I beleive they are still made in Pittsburg.

Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron
For more than 110 years, Lodge Manufacturing has been perfecting the process of making cast iron cookware. But the process was never complete until countless meals, desserts, soups and stews were prepared to create a treasured black patina. Only then was cast iron "seasoned."

In 2002, the Lodge team developed a proprietary vegetable oil spray system with high temperature gas ovens to season the cookware before it leaves our South Pittsburg foundry. No hassle, no magic, no work—simply an heirloom finish everyone can use right out of the box!

Wow, it is made in China now. "Made in China to Lodge's specifications" ouch.

Like I said I'm keeping mine now.

Sad!!!

The confussion is surrounding the lodge Emeral coated cast iron pots and pans, NOT their main Cast Iron cookware line.

Here is the proof:
Cast Iron Skillets & Cookware
All Cast Iron Cookware is made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee, USA. Family owned for over 100 years, USA owned company. (per Lodge cust serv phn 7-30-08)
In 2002, the Lodge team developed a proprietary vegetable oil spray system with high temperature gas ovens to season the cookware before it leaves our South Pittsburg foundry. No hassle, no magic, no work--simply an heirloom finish everyone can use right out of the box. Lodge Enamel Cookware Imported from China. (per lodgemfg.com 7-30-08)
USA (per approx. pan labeling at Whole Foods, Cupertino, Calif. ~5-08)

Dude, ONLY their enamel-coated line is made in Chine. Do a search if you don't beleive me. As for Emeril's line, I have no idea where it's made. Yet.

Okay, Emerilware Cast Iron Skillet is made by All-Clad and is manufactuered in China....

Since Wally's started carrying them it seems some is USA, some is China. Yes, the black cast iron. Just look at the black Lodge stuff on Walmart.com, and look where it is made at the bottom.

Some says:
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported

Some says:
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA

Tip: Read packaging before buying, it has to say by law. :)

Hopefully the USA stuff is as good as it used to be. I like mine.

Well, I want to make sure the info I have is double checked so I am going back to the original poster that I quoted and I will try to find out more information about the pans that broke, verify they were Lodge and if they have any info as to "made in.."

It sounds like some Lodge is still manufacturing in the good ol' USofA to the old standards and if such is the case, that may be what new CI purchasers need to look for.

I'll post after talking to other poster...

Back