Griswold Cast Iron

To get this back on track of Griswold, Griswold is worth it, yes. The vintage stuff had machined surfaces, nowadays they just pop it out of the mold and don't machine it. It may be a lot heavier too, and that's good for even heat. So yes, it's good to look into vintage pieces. Heavy and smooth. As far as the vintage seasoning, that doesn't really matter, I'm a germaphobe so I'd wash it good and reseason it anyway lol. It'd freak me out to cook in it right after buying.

Pepperfreak said:
Dude, ONLY their enamel-coated line is made in Chine. Do a search if you don't beleive me. As for Emeril's line, I have no idea where it's made. Yet.

Okay, Emerilware Cast Iron Skillet is made by All-Clad and is manufactuered in China....

Boooooooooooo....!!!! Cast iron needs to be made here! All-Clad blows...

There are currently (and I'm sure perpetually) eight HUNDRED C.I. skillets for sale on eBay. Keep in mind.....that's JUST skillets. Most seem to be reasonably priced. I'm not sure I'd EVER buy a new piece when the selection of vintage C.I. is so vast and plentiful.

Plus, PF, you can have it delivered to your door! ;)

In case you haven't noticed, I'm very partial to eBay. :lol:

I like ebay too, but I'm kind of a germaphobe too and there are certain things that I just can't buy used and I think CI cookware is among that list.

Pepperfreak said:
I like ebay too, but I'm kind of a germaphobe too and there are certain things that I just can't buy used and I think CI cookware is among that list.

Pour whiskey in it to kill the germs and fix us some steak!

all my CI is Lodge. & each piece is stamped with usa on the bottom. its heavy. theres some CI I've seen elsewhere that was alot lighter than lodge CI but I never looked as to where they were made.
to tell you the truth I'd be leary of buying CI made in china for the simple fact of them having a problem of putting lead into all the products they ship out to usa over the years. ex. kids toys WTF is lead doing there anyways ? now makes you wonder about lead in CI :think:

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm a germaphobe so I'd wash it good and reseason it anyway lol. It'd freak me out to cook in it right after buying.

if what you said makes a person a germaphobe, then I guess I am "to a point" cuz I will wash my new CI with soap (not harshly just enough to kill germs) & reseason it. though after that I'm all cool about germs. i've lett my CI skillets go unwashed for over a month at a time & considered making dirty rice every other week as cleaning the CI :lol:
it was cleaned & the rice tasted great! from all the meals I've cooked beforehand.

Pepperfreak said:
I'm kind of a germaphobe too and there are certain things that I just can't buy used and I think CI cookware is among that list.

I'm curious as to what you & THP do with the normal process of using CI where you really never clean the CI (in the sense with soap) does this just eat away at you & bug you, or do you wash with soap every time ? I think THP mentioned he did this or I'm wrong ?

are you guys such a germaphobe that you'll shave your head like howey mandel (sp?) or wear gloves going into certain locations & use paper towels vs cloth towels like tinny tim (? or ?)

To answer your question....I am mostly a germaphobe against other peoples germs, so no I don't shave my head, but do own stock in purell and buy the stuff by the gallon. With my job, yes I do wear gloves (nitril because they are the best), a lot depending where I'm going and what I'm doing. Another thing that drives my wife nuts is I can not buy a clothing item, like a pair of jeans, and wear them without first washing them. :lol:

However, my germ thing doesn't extend to the outdoors, I can hunt, hike, camp and run 4 wheelers through the mud with no problems. I know it doesn't make sense, but it really doesn't inhibit me from doing anything like Howie Mandel. As for the CI, as with all my cooking utensils, I will wash with soap and water and then season. After that I have no problems caring from them as you would. I don't have any now, but my grandmother taught me to scrub them out with salt and a paper towel and dry them on the stove.

Pepperfreak said:
To answer your question....I am mostly a germaphobe against other peoples germs, so no I don't shave my head, but do own stock in purell and buy the stuff by the gallon. With my job, yes I do wear gloves (nitril because they are the best), a lot depending where I'm going and what I'm doing. Another thing that drives my wife nuts is I can not buy a clothing item, like a pair of jeans, and wear them without first washing them. :lol:

However, my germ thing doesn't extend to the outdoors, I can hunt, hike, camp and run 4 wheelers through the mud with no problems. I know it doesn't make sense, but it really doesn't inhibit me from doing anything like Howie Mandel. As for the CI, as with all my cooking utensils, I will wash with soap and water and then season. After that I have no problems caring from them as you would. I don't have any now, but my grandmother taught me to scrub them out with salt and a paper towel and dry them on the stove.

I was just kinda razzing you & THP about being a germaphobe since both of you mentioned it.
I can fully understand your point. its the unkown infections from certain humans that warrent taking precautionary measures. & your line of work I would be on guard 100% of the time!
as for ATV'ing, yep drive in swamp,muck, mosquiteos tick infested locations,etc...been there, its fun! as long as its easy to get unstuck :lol: cuz theres times it tsakes some serious work to get unstuck :(

so ya trying to say if in a bind looking for some clean clothes you wont wear'em unless 1st washed when new ? you're getting too spoiled with having a lady pamper you!, what happened to the sniff test ? :lol:

well, things have gotten kind of tweaky ...

Now we are talking about CI and used clothing.

It seems simple to me,
If you get a used piece of CI, I would treat it like any other new piece of used cookware. Wash it (SS washing is different than CI washing...) heat it, (this kills germs), use it. I would wash a piece of Corelleware or Pyrex also.

clothing--- you've probably heard the story of someone buying a pair of jeans and finding a movie ticket in the pocket............

I heard that scenario as a live broadcast on a local morning radio show..........
YUCK!

salsalady said:

well I guess you're new here, so you dont know that most threads on this forum will change subjects pretty fast!
just be glad we havent taken it to the midget, phony, leather whip level yet with CI or we could bring in the alien sex thing :lol:

salsalady said:

It seems simple to me,
If you get a used piece of CI, I would treat it like any other new piece of used cookware. Wash it (SS washing is different than CI washing...) heat it, (this kills germs), use it. I would wash a piece of Corelleware or Pyrex also.

clothing--- you've probably heard the story of someone buying a pair of jeans and finding a movie ticket in the pocket............

I heard that scenario as a live broadcast on a local morning radio show..........
YUCK!
It's not simple because with cast iron some people swear by the seasoning the pan has gotten over the years, so some may be afraid to wash that away.

You don't know where that pan's been! You don't want someone else's seasoning. Wash and sterilize. ;)

For me... new.

Last weekend I made something in my cast iron dutch oven and my father-in-law thought he would do me a favor and wash it for me. I came into the kitchen to see it full of soapy suds and had to walk away. I didn't want to scold him, but DAMN! As soon as he left the kitchen I rushed in and rinsed it out. Now I'll have to reseason it probably.

JayT said:
Last weekend I made something in my cast iron dutch oven and my father-in-law thought he would do me a favor and wash it for me. I came into the kitchen to see it full of soapy suds and had to walk away. I didn't want to scold him, but DAMN! As soon as he left the kitchen I rushed in and rinsed it out. Now I'll have to reseason it probably.

This is precicely why Retta is only allowed to cook in my kitchen....NOT clean!

She thinks I'm awesome for doing all the "dirty" work.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Back