• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Grocery Store Find...And Gourmet Dinner!

Hey Everyone!

This afternoon, I got a call from my elderly Mother, who I take care of. She was sick today and wanted me to get her some Vietnamese porridge that a local Asian
supermarket carries. I went to Lee Lee Market (here in Tucson). I was trying to decide what I should have for dinner tonight for myself, and decided I wanted
something hot, like Thai curry or some Indonesian dish.

While at the market, I decided to check out the frozen section, as they usually
carry Peruvian foods. I found frozen Rocoto and Aji Amarillo peppers from Peru!
Each one pound package was just under $5.00, but worth it to me!

I have wanted to try Peruvian stuffed peppers for a number of months now.
Tonight, I feasted on stuffed Rocotos. I filled the boiled peppers with a ground
beef/onion and garlic mixture and ate one and a half peppers before the heat
became overpowering. I have left-overs for lunch tomorrow at work!

I got one heck of an endorphine rush, which I'm still experiencing! I'll have to
be careful at work tomorrow, after eating the left-overs.

By the way, Lee Lee supermarkets are in Tucson and Phoenix. However, the frozen
Rocotos are from the brand "Goya." The flavor was FANTASTIC!!!

8625966973_a2055ca3df_m.jpg

8627076454_56a9a717be_m.jpg

8625966023_247a7e7e37_m.jpg

8625964911_59b0bb9990_m.jpg

8625965419_8e41377c43_m.jpg

8625964379_84224fe456_m.jpg

8627073528_c86f83aeb3_m.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. In Phoenix the one near me always has the standard fresh peppers but I never thought about looking for frozen ones. I've bought rocoto paste from there before and it was pretty hot and tasty. I'll report back if I find anything cool at the one near me.

These guys list them in the "Baby and Toddler Snacks" section. Interesting.

http://www.hannaford.com/product/Frozen/More/Baby-Toddler-Snacks/Goya-Aji-Rocoto-Chili-Pepper/pc/28219/c/46338/sc/47990/730493.uts

These guys list them in the "Baby and Toddler Snacks" section. Interesting.

http://www.hannaford...7990/730493.uts

lmao

Thanks for the heads up. In Phoenix the one near me always has the standard fresh peppers but I never thought about looking for frozen ones. I've bought rocoto paste from there before and it was pretty hot and tasty. I'll report back if I find anything cool at the one near me.

Found those same rocotos.

I stuffed it with some ground turkey (seasoned up italian-style), served it with a mix of garlic marinara sauce and sambal oelek, and topped with some cheese and fresh basil from my "garden".

I don't know if it's because I've been building up my tolerance or what, but I didn't think it was very hot (almost a little disappointed with the heat level!). :P

Oh yeah.... it was good!

roc1.jpg

roc2.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I would have never thought to look in the freezer section at the Latin market. I grabbed a bag of each and I am going to try them out real soon!

Michelle

Back