• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grow Bags?

I just purchased some 7 Gallon Grow Bags, I was curious on what is the best way to utilize these,
image.aspx

I see there are little holes on the bottom of the bag i'm worried about the drainage on these, My jolokia has been putting on flowers but have just been dropping even with bloom booster and all the stuff a flowering plant might need. my white bullet was doing the same then i transplanted into larger pot and began setting pods, soo I'm going to try this with my Bhut to hopefully get it to set some pods. I need help on using these and what is the best way to use these grow bags.

I haven't used them specifically, but from the little I've looked into them you are suppose to just fill them with soil and put your plant in them. They are suppose to stand upright and be semi durable. I was too afraid they wouldn't hold up to being moved around, or would tear / rip after extended use, so I opted for nursery pots instead.

Use them like you would a container. The drainage holes will be fine. If you leave room at the top, you can fold over the excess to act as a mulch. I had great success in the '08 season using 3 and 5 gallon bags, organic soil + fertilizer and an automated drip line running 15 minutes every morning. It was super easy.
IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

yeah Matt i opted the same but soo much cheaper than pots. i'm just mainly worried about drainage i might put some gravel in the bottome for extra drainage but am worried about tearing it. Any one have any advice please hit me up.

Yeah they will drain fine, even on a flat surface the holes aren't water tight. I'd skip the gravel too. I did a few with gravel and it was a PITA at the end of the season. The roots pulled the rocks into the soil and it was very hard to separate. I think overwatering is more likely if you water a small plant/big container too frequently. Once the summer heat hits and the roots grow, you won't need to worry. If you really want, you can put them on top of brick pavers or something. You can also add perlite to your potting mix.

I used them this season, and everything did better in the grow bags than in pots. The bags I used had holes on the bottom of the bag and also on the side at the bottom and drain very well. When you get into 5 and 7 gal bags, you have to be a little more careful with them when you move them, they seem to stretch a little especially during the heat of the day.

Good Call Guys Gonna transplant my bhut and 7pod into 7 Gallon grow bags appreciate the tips! Hopefully they'll set some fruit soon.

Nate -

Can't you just add a few holes with a paper punch near the bottom if you are concerned about drainage?

I'm using a lot of these grow bags, and so far so good, though I have yet to get a good watering system...:-(

I was thinking i could just make my own holes very easily in the plastic but then i'm concerned about moving the bag with the extra holes maybe causing the bag to break:(

Ashrikala - I Found These at My local Hydroponic store, I found the Hydroponic store has absolutely everything your indoor and outdoor garden coudl possibly want, the only thing is i would go to a garden center for soil they have better prices and a bigger selection.

Noshownate said:
I was thinking i could just make my own holes very easily in the plastic but then i'm concerned about moving the bag with the extra holes maybe causing the bag to break:(

Stagger five or six on the side wall near the bottom and you'll be fine. ;)

Back