grow in clear cups

hello chili heads ! i know theres a old thread on here about this but i can't find it ! to damn inpatient ! but any way i just wanted to show that our plants will grow in clear cups . this is a chocolate bbg7 in one . its 9" tall and the cup is only a 8 oz. cup not a 16oz. so it would be a lot bigger in a 16oz .   whats cool is i can see exactly how much water it gets and the moisture in the cup .

IMG_0262.JPG

moruga welder said:
 i just wanted to show that our plants will grow in clear cups .

Did you think they wouldn't?  :lol:  People have been doing that for decades, though there seems to be a contingent that insists it won't work. There is even a company that sells equipment to pack soil into "bricks" so that plants are grown in these soil bricks without a container at all. Regardless, you have a very nice-looking plant there. Best wishes for your grow this year!

geeme said:

Did you think they wouldn't?  :lol:  People have been doing that for decades, though there seems to be a contingent that insists it won't work. There is even a company that sells equipment to pack soil into "bricks" so that plants are grown in these soil bricks without a container at all. Regardless, you have a very nice-looking plant there. Best wishes for your grow this year!
nope ! never thought for a minute they wouldn't . just remember some people bickering a  ( while back ) saying they wouldn't because the roots don't like light and so forth . well i didn't chime in then . so i'm putting  it out there now,  before i put them into the ground / big containers .  and thanks , hope you have a great grow also !       :onfire:

Keep in mind roots also don't like to be dried out. Yet lots of folks use pots that are specifically designed to air prune roots. Maybe roots in a clear pot will turn away from light and back inwards. Hmmm. Maybe you're on to something. 

I have 18 different chili plants growing in clear 16 oz cups right now. Annuums, chinenses, one baccatum and one rocoto. They are all growing just as well as the plants in opaque cups. With the clear cups, i can tell at a glance if there is still moisture in the bottom half of the cup, and how the root development is progressing. Makes it very easy to see when a plant is ready to pot up. So there are definite advantages. I do put the clear cups inside an opaque cup to protect the roots from light. It may not be necessary to do that, but it was an easy enough precaution to take.

BlackFatalii said:
I have 18 different chili plants growing in clear 16 oz cups right now. Annuums, chinenses, one baccatum and one rocoto. They are all growing just as well as the plants in opaque cups. With the clear cups, i can tell at a glance if there is still moisture in the bottom half of the cup, and how the root development is progressing. Makes it very easy to see when a plant is ready to pot up. So there are definite advantages. I do put the clear cups inside an opaque cup to protect the roots from light. It may not be necessary to do that, but it was an easy enough precaution to take.
no need , never put mine in anything     :onfire:

Yes it's possible, but it is not natural. Roots are burried into the ground with no light. There will be a reason for that...
Growing in clear cups could be important to understand when we must repot

Paolo

Iv noticed in hydro that the plants don't like clear containers but I think that's only because the light causes algea growth on the roots and sucks up alot of the oxygen.

moruga welder said:
nope ! never thought for a minute they wouldn't . just remember some people bickering a  ( while back ) saying they wouldn't because the roots don't like light and so forth . well i didn't chime in then . so i'm putting  it out there now,  before i put them into the ground / big containers .  and thanks , hope you have a great grow also !       :onfire:
Those must be the same people who insist that frozen seeds won't germinate because, they reason, somehow seeds in nature never really freeze or the frozen seed will miraculously implode inside the seed casing. I just had to successfully sprout seeds from pods frozen 6 months in my freezer when I heard that. Yep, 100% germination. Go figure!

geeme said:
Those must be the same people who insist that frozen seeds won't germinate because, they reason, somehow seeds in nature never really freeze or the frozen seed will miraculously implode inside the seed casing. I just had to successfully sprout seeds from pods frozen 6 months in my freezer when I heard that. Yep, 100% germination. Go figure!
thats great !  i think what it is is the fear of losing the seed / plant if the experiment fails maybe ? well i made sure i planted in both just in case . kinda like medicinal guinea pigs . :onfire:  

Cool!  Last year I grew a Hab in a 1/2 gallon milk container.  It worked fine but eventually grew quite a bit of green algae/moss due to the light transmittance.  

some seeds actually wont germinate untill they are frozen, so that whole thing is not true at all.

its probably not a bad idea to dry the seed prior to freezing though. who knows though, might not make a difference.

I use cut up 2 liter pop bottles.  I wrap them in black duct tape to keep the light out.  On occasion, did not have the duct tape, transplanted into the 2 liter and never got around to wrapping them.  I have not noticed a difference between how things grow wrapped and not wrapped, but continue to wrap because have read time and time again that roots hate light.

Back