• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grow light recommendations

HI there, I believe this is my first post here. I have 10 adult plants sitting in a 6.5 × 3.5 foot bed frame. They are indoors, and are getting natural sunlight through the south facing bedroom window. I have two heaters keeping the room at about 73°. I have them in about a 50/50 mix of Fox Farms ocean forest and happy frog. I'm using the Nectar for the Gods nutrient line. Most of my plants do have fruit, and are doing well. But I know they can do better, which is why I'm looking into grow lights. Oh and this is my first time growing pretty much anything lol. I did start late in the season, so that's probably why they have just really started to take off on fruiting. So anyways I am looking for recommendations on grow lights. I would prefer led for its energy efficiency and less heat. My budget is at max $250, but preferably less. I really appreciate any information and recommendations thanks. Here are a couple pics of my plants.
12208759_1104852226216351_6896923593809725529_n.jpg
12240041_1104852186216355_3510403371748373337_n.jpg

Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

I always recommend T5HO lighting because it's the most economical as far as ballast price and bulb life/replacement costs.  They are much much less of a fire hazard than other ballasts as well.  The downside is that although they put off enough heat for a few adult plants, you need more of them for larger grows.  HPS is a great type of lighting as well as long as you factor in bulb replacement costs and having enough space for a high powered (temperature) lighting ballast which often needs things like cooling fans and humidity control.  Browse around in the Grow Tech forum for any questions, there is a thread there specifically about lighting.

Thanks everyone for all the help and welcomes! :)  I appreciate the information so far, and am checking out the links that were provided. I would also appreciate opinions on LED lights as well, as I stated in my original post, regarding their energy efficiency, and lower heat. I want to explore all options.

LED would run you $700 or so for enough to cover that much area.

You would need something like 2x of the Mars Hydro Mars II 900watt models which are rated for a 3.5x3.5 area.  They are ~350 a piece.

I looked at doing 2x of the 400w, but the price was a little more than 1 of the 900w for basically the same sq. ft. covered.

shadowwolf1984 said:
Thanks everyone for all the help and welcomes! :)  I appreciate the information so far, and am checking out the links that were provided. I would also appreciate opinions on LED lights as well, as I stated in my original post, regarding their energy efficiency, and lower heat. I want to explore all options.

ok i recently saw this new company that i think would be perfect for ya

its called tasty LED (lol)

this product is great!

http://www.tastyled.com/product-p/t22-150c.htm

Total wattage input: 165 watts

Emitters: 4 Cree CXB 3070 AB Bin emitters
current: 1.05 amps
Watts each: 36.5 watts
Efficiency: 48%

2 of these would give you a lil over 400ppfd in your space

or you coudl get 1 of these to start with considering your budget-honestly best value around for the best tech

if u were to build a light urself id advise you to use those same parts-only dif is id advise u to run them harder and sacrifice efficiency and spead the cobs out

they are using white light which is better in all respects-espeacially if u dont have a dedicated tent pink lights get annoying 

or try http://www.tastyled.com/product-p/v4-200.htm

using vero29 chips but its a bit more expensive which doesnt make sense

Luminous efficiency is measured in lumens/watt by everyone in the lighting industry/ratings industry.

Any other  measurement of efficiency is bunk.

efficiency should also include bulb replacement costs...I've run T5HO bulbs daily for 1.5 years without having to replace them.  12 bucks for a four foot replacement bulb.  Can't beat that. 6500 lumens per bulb. 

willard3 said:
Luminous efficiency is measured in lumens/watt by everyone in the lighting industry/ratings industry.

Any other  measurement of efficiency is bunk.

so you just disproved ur earlier statement- unless you think that an HPS can acchive better efficiency than 153 L/w? in which case id like to know what bulbs u use lol

Cree, who is the premier maker of LED's and does the most research, lists all of their led  lamps at 100 lumens/watt by IES test.

153 lumens per watt looks and sounds like poop from a Chinese manufacturer. Where is the IES test?

willard3 said:
Cree, who is the premier maker of LED's and does the most research, lists all of their led  lamps at 100 lumens/watt by IES test.

153 lumens per watt looks and sounds like poop from a Chinese manufacturer. Where is the IES test?

frosty said:
Unless I'm misreading this says 170 lumens per watt
http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/discrete-directional/xlamp-xml2

I just want to say I would never buy anything
1. Significantly below the normal price for an LED
2. Anything from eBay or some supplier who isn't established
3. Anything not Cree. With Cree I just know what I am getting.

Its a cxb 3070 BB bin from cree if that means anything to you

its obvious u didnt even open the link

I didn't open the link. I was just commenting on the 100lm statement. I don't know about now but used to be the only way to get an affordable effective LED light was to build it yourself.

Back