• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2018 Yellow Brain Strain!

These two were too close to the heater.
New total: 5,455  = ((2) + 5,453:D

y749ru7.jpg

I decided to pull the plug. Waiting until the end would have only produced a few hundred more grams, at best, which wouldnt have come close anyway. The move indoors definitely didnt produce the desired effect. Anyway, it has been fun. Much respect to all that participated. Some of you turned your plants into some real monsters!

Total: 3,931g
756d7e5bf08bd7680fc8396115f0e61c.jpg

CMJ said:
I decided to pull the plug. Waiting until the end would have only produced a few hundred more grams, at best, which wouldnt have come close anyway. The move indoors definitely didnt produce the desired effect. Anyway, it has been fun. Much respect to all that participated. Some of you turned your plants into some real monsters!

Total: 3,931g
756d7e5bf08bd7680fc8396115f0e61c.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for joining us this year!

Pepper-Guru said:

Contacted PaulG...its a no go for the 2019 year. 

Not enough seeds to go around, but interesting for a possible 2020 Growdown! 

People would all have to have the EXACT strain/phenotype as well. 
Right, Rich. I am planning on isolating my F7 plants in 2019
with an eye toward seed production for the Growdown. I'll
be updating the F7 grow in the dedicated thread so you
will be able to see how it looks. The three sprouts I have
going now are all from some great 31/4 inch pods from
the big white pod plant (F6W-LP).

Here is my plant before this harvest. I moved it for the 3ish days of possible frost we had, and the tomato cage it was leaning on for some support wasn't getting moved at that point (eh, it was late, dark, and cold, at least to my Floridian blood.) It got paired up with my mom's gardenia for support and to be covered together.

Yeah, we aren't going to talk about the fact that I never got to up-potting it from my little landscape fabric bags. Or the fact that the roots grew out of the landscape fabric bags and into the two bags next to it that appear empty.

Ovg0QaVh.jpg

... Or the fact that despite all that, it's still the largest pepper plant I've grown, height-wise. For only my second season growing, and the first being from questionable 25 cent seed packs, I'm not mad, even if my results have been pretty pathetic. I had big plans to make soil workable in a part of my property that was unused, but time constraints left me with most of my plants in solo cups still. I think I've learned a few things, and hope to put more of it to use next season. I've also found my so-far favorite variety. So for that, especially with some of the stuff in the thread in 2019, a huge thanks to Rich for letting such a noob as myself take part. Next year I have every intention of at least being middle of the pack, lol!

Oh, yeah. Here's my "big" harvest:
lmQO2GDh.jpg

(24g) + 66g = 90g

I have a handful of green pods still on the plant, too.

My back up YBS that I thought was going to be my chosen plant still hasn't ripened a pod. It grew to about the same size as this one while this one was still ~1.5ft tall. I realized it also grew through it's bag and a large portion of it's root mass is in the ground. It didn't flower until later, and still only has 5-6 green pods of its first round on it. It was given nutes with the rest, etc. I suppose that tells me how non-conductive to growing peppers my soil sand is.

violentglitter said:
Oh, yeah. Here's my "big" harvest:
lmQO2GDh.jpg

Your tally might be small, but you have some very nice pods there.
Depending on your chili pepper eating habits, they could last for a while!

Looking forward to your next season, Liz!

Walchit said:
So top 3 right now are

Dk peppers - 5725

Needs Work - 5515

Guru - 5051

Correct me if I'm wrong

Walchit said:
CMJ -3931

Not too shabby either

My seventh and final Harvest of 2018 YBS = 691grams

405+275+502+1724+764+1381+691=5,742grams Total for the 2018 YBS Plant

Just snipped out DK by a POD. Wow. 5,742 grams. That's the number to beat NeedsWork! Can you get it done?! 

Im tapped out, its over, all I can get out of this plant and the weather! She's dead now. It was a great run this year guys! I'm really impressed with the monster plants this year! Everyone kicked major butt! 

44361547520_a3b2a14969_b.jpg

45454664424_5af4088525_b.jpg

I want to thank Everyone for joining this year. It wasn't the most productive plant by weight, but the pods were huge and one of the best tasting and hottest things you could put in your mouth. 

Picked a few more just to keep it going.  She has a bunch of green ones - but I'm not sure it will be enough by the end of the month.  The plant is not happy, between fighting off the aphids and turning the heat off for a few days.  I think the soil is just about shot too.  (excuses :D)

5,585  = ((70) + 5,515

CXlctoi.jpg

IVxd4RR.jpg

NeedsWork said:
Picked a few more just to keep it going.  She has a bunch of green ones - but I'm not sure it will be enough by the end of the month.  The plant is not happy, between fighting off the aphids and turning the heat off for a few days.  I think the soil is just about shot too.  (excuses :D)

5,585  = ((70) + 5,515

CXlctoi.jpg

IVxd4RR.jpg

:shocked:

Gonna be CLOSE

Back