• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

Walchit said:
First to ripe pod though?

attachicon.gif
20190511_120034.jpg

attachicon.gif
20190513_125237.jpg

Unless I missed someone else's ripey. If so my apologies for cramping your style
Kudos on a ripe pod, Andy!

Time for a taste test!

internationalfish said:

There's no controlling it, man. I can't grow a decent beard to save my life, but my arms and legs are like goddamn self-seeding Chia pets.

I just have to add to this. They wrote a song..."I'm just a hairy guy"..I think it was about me...LOL
About 17 years ago at the elementary school.
I got out of the truck, a 5 year old walked up to me and grabbed a chunk of hair on my arm. "Hey mister, you're turning into a monkey".

So I have this plant it's one of my old ones that you guys said was the wrong pheno I left in in a small pot and didn't plan to plant it outside but look at these weird pods it has kind of looks like Peruvian white hab but way more yellow/orange hot little guys [emoji2962]
aab95d54109b558092902dca5afc566d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sinn said:
So I have this plant it's one of my old ones that you guys said was the wrong pheno I left in in a small pot and didn't plan to plant it outside but look at these weird pods it has kind of looks like Peruvian white hab but way more yellow/orange hot little guys [emoji2962]

Haha, nope you win!

That's the secret golden pepper.

:cheers:

So I pulled 4 large green Sri Lankas off one of my plants cuz my wife needed some peppers for a thai dish she was making and holy crap! Not only is this pepper delicious on it's own, but the complexity of the capsaicin is nuts. I get a side of tongue tingle/burn (but never uncomfortable) and it progresses to a mild lip burn then you catch it in the esophagus (but again never uncomfortable or painful). If I had to compare it to something I would say Sichuan peppercorns. But better..

internationalfish said:
That's awesome! Looking forward to this pepper more and more! :)

That's just weird... did you actually get that sort of numbing sensation from it? Or was it something else that made that connection?
Not quite like a Sichuan peppercorn but very similar with the tingly sensation it gives. Really interesting. Even my wife who isn't a pepper nerd like me descibex it as really interesting compared to the other peppers she's had. Keep in mind these were green pods so it'll be interesting to see how they are fully matured. And just a heads up, they will kinda gas you out of the kitchen if you flash fry them. Not terrible but it will burn your eyes and sinuses lol

Devv said:

232.jpg

Oh yeah...

Interesting cross shape there! rounded tips! interested in seeing that one when ripe!

Sinn said:

HA! Color change :) Think maybe Charapita got him some of that booty

Edmick said:
Not quite like a Sichuan peppercorn but very similar with the tingly sensation it gives. Really interesting. Even my wife who isn't a pepper nerd like me descibex it as really interesting compared to the other peppers she's had. Keep in mind these were green pods so it'll be interesting to see how they are fully matured. And just a heads up, they will kinda gas you out of the kitchen if you flash fry them. Not terrible but it will burn your eyes and sinuses lol

Cool!

I guess I'm fortunate that the shitty gas ranges they install here shut themselves off if you try to actually cook at a fun temperature. Seriously, some day I'm going to pull the stupid thing apart and figure out how to bypass that moronic sensor.

Edmick said:
So I pulled 4 large green Sri Lankas off one of my plants cuz my wife needed some peppers for a thai dish she was making and holy crap! Not only is this pepper delicious on it's own, but the complexity of the capsaicin is nuts. I get a side of tongue tingle/burn (but never uncomfortable) and it progresses to a mild lip burn then you catch it in the esophagus (but again never uncomfortable or painful). If I had to compare it to something I would say Sichuan peppercorns. But better..
Nice analysis, Ed. thanks,

Back