• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

Quack.

Zone 3 AGAIN.
108 +...
20190926_102939.jpg

It has been so long since I weighed. I have just let
some pods dry on the vine, so did not weigh those.
I picked a handful and dehydrated but forgot to weigh
them. When we got back from vacation, cool wet
weather had set in and the pods were bigger and
didnt dry out on the vine. Guess it just wasnt happy
in the warmer, dryer weather.

I think I had 39 grams before. Probably at
least this many more on the plant.
FE73BE0B-F738-487A-941C-682688C34A19.jpeg

39+179=218gr.

Oops, dropped one
0521D2D2-A654-448E-8FE3-B8119CA9A8B8.jpeg

Make that 222gr.

Talk about pathetic

Weather man said Wednesday will feel more like fall. It could just hold on to these high 80s for another month or so, that would be great.

Cleaned my plant of all the available pods. I see flowers setting but am not sure if there would be enough time to get one more harvest. This might very well be my last weigh in.

It was good knowing you all.. Lol.

Total 1163 g + 561 g = 1724 g.
2e169d5b628329d715a38e61ab36fb02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

saiias said:
Cleaned my plant of all the available pods. I see flowers setting but am not sure if there would be enough time to get one more harvest. This might very well be my last weigh in.

It was good knowing you all.. Lol.

Total 1163 g + 561 g = 1724 g.
2e169d5b628329d715a38e61ab36fb02.jpg

Bravo. Well done. You like them green? Those look perfect. 

saiias said:
So we have red off pheno, orange off pheno and a yellow off pheno. Seeds seeds seeds..

Next year will be the really crazy year. If enough of seed from those F1's are grown out, the F2 will have some really wacky stuff going on. 

Pepper-Guru said:
Next year will be the really crazy year. If enough of seed from those F1's are grown out, the F2 will have some really wacky stuff going on. 

It's strange though, because if both parents were homozygous the F1's should all be red. I think some of the Sri Lanka seeds you shared might've been already crossed with something.

b3rnd said:

It's strange though, because if both parents were homozygous the F1's should all be red. I think some of the Sri Lanka seeds you shared might've been already crossed with something.

Really? The way I understand it, with my limited understanding of Mendelian genetics, is that you can't get a homozygous F1. If both parents are perfectly homozygous, you have a heterozygous plant with half the genes from each parent. Deck of uno cards and a deck of playing cards, shuffle them together, thats your F1. So, unless my Sri Lanka was line bred and inbred for several generations to prove no recessive colors were in it, then you can't prove they weren't. If yellow is indeed recessive to red, then any red x red with recessive yellows on either side can yield yellow. We talk about the F1 being only as stable as both parents. If both parents hide a yellow gene then bingo, done deal. Really though...I've only personally grown, selected and isolated the Original Sri Lanka Chili Red since 2016. Last year being the year I let it OP. Who knows man. I'm just excited to see all the bees hard at work in some of these neat crosses people are posting!

Back