• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

growing bonsai pepper plants

I'm interested in growing a couple bonsai style pepper plants looking for info like witch plants to use how do you grow the roots out of the soil any pics would be nice also any info would be appreciated

Use the search feature and look for 'bonsai chilis' or 'bonchi'. There is a lot of good info!!
Good luck!

Hi Wrightdaddy.

Check
http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

or the seach function.

JJ

IM ACTUALLY WORKING ON ONE RIGHT NOW!

the pepper is an ornamental called "SANGRIA" its know for being a small plant to begin with but im not too sure if its the right one because by right a "Bonsai" is a plant that has the potential to be big but is suppressed

it starting to look good though.

i think the roots coming out are due to the small pot restricting the roots travel

if your looking for suggestions on what plant to use i would say you could do the one of your choice but be sure its one that has the potential to grow large

i would say try some of the Chile species or Aji and possibly a Habanero

really what it comes down to is time, it wont happen over night you have to work at it and then maintain it to keep it small

hope this helps thanks your friend Joe

Cool link! Better than any bonsai I've bought and killed.

:lol: ......That's one plant you can't chance overwatering nor underwatering....too bad it's not able to grow in a large container.......without losing the smaller proportional sizing.

Greg

Well, the first step is to get a full-sized pepper plant, ideally after the outdoor growing season is finished. I suppose you could grow a plant in a small pot and maintain it at that size, but it won't have that nice thick stem that you're going for.

As far as which types of peppers... well, any of them really. However, for practical and aesthetic purposes, if you want them to flower and fruit then it's best to pick varieties with naturally small pods and abundant flowers per node... I have a couple White Habs cut small, and while I'm not actively trying to turn them into bonsai specimens they would probably be well suited to such purposes (compact, heavy setting and somewhat ornamental fruits). A lot of the choices when it comes to bonsai are aesthetic.

Depending on what you want, you can either wait until you have a full grown plant, or even use a small plant which would be "mame" or "shohin"..those 2 are tiny to small bonsai. Bonsai translated means "potted plant". I haven't done a pepper plant yet if I do it will be a larger "kifu" size bonsai. I want one to appear old and ""wise" lol...projecting age, not just a stick in a pot. It takes time and patience to properly do this to a plant. I have killed a few bonsai's in my time, but the 4 I have now are anywhere from 2-10 yeras old. The oldest I haven't even put in a bonsai pot yet! I'd love to see some members bonchi pics if any of you have them.

Hi,

Here´s some pics of a few of my overwintering bonchis

Tapas11.jpg

0052.jpg

NeonYellowHabanero1.jpg

They stay in the basement, 16-18 degress Celcius and under LED.

JJ

PS. This is my first try growing bonchis

I overwintered a few plants and turned them into Bonsai's but it didn't go to well for some of them.

and now their potted back up for our summer.

What could be the reason for dying of my plant. I cut them for winter and few weeks ago stem start to coloring into "gold" color. :(
They are out of flat but indoor. Temperature is around 10'C

Freezing could cause them to die...

But if that is the cause, they will come back from the roots (so long as something else didn't go wrong like root rot etc).

Great thread... I'm thinking of doing this with one of my over wintered (outside :D) plants. We'll see.

Ken

This is a bonsai I sort of half-assed after a while and just let grow. I kept pinching the growing tips back and removed the larger leaves as they appeared, and eventually it *really* started to bush out. I might give it one more good pruning before plant out, because at this rate it's going to take over my growing area...

IMGP2862.jpg

Back