• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Bromeliads

I finally went to the Sanam Luang Song Market in Phuthamonthon and scored Bromeliads and Perlite. Here's a few pics of what I got;

Bromeliads.jpg

Bromeliad-BigGuy.jpg

Bromeliad-0.jpg

The market had hundreds of Bromeliads and some were as much as $75USD :eek: and the plant was the size of lime (diameter & height). Cheers.

What are you growing yours on/in?

right now i have matchstick brom, a red brom that will produce a miniature inedible pineapple, an offset from capt_bhutter which is will produce yellow flower just like the one on your 1st pic on the left top most, atillandsia stricta and two tillandsia fuego offsets.

i'll try to post a pic tomorrow or sunday. :)

right now i have matchstick brom, a red brom that will produce a miniature inedible pineapple, an offset from capt_bhutter which is will produce yellow flower just like the one on your 1st pic on the left top most, atillandsia stricta and two tillandsia fuego offsets.

i'll try to post a pic tomorrow or sunday. :)

But what medium are you using for the plants? Coir? A tree branch? Air? Just curious because I can't see the base/roots in the picture. Cheers.

for the terrestrial broms, i was advice to use cococoir only with slow release-fert. i use 14-14-14. for the air plants, i just hang them on wires. I just mist it every morning with regular water spray it with foliar ferts weekly. my plants only receives morning sun. so far they are ok.:)

^ Looking good. Bromeliads can get pretty spendy in the states; heck some are darned expensive even here. ;)

Is that a strawberry below it?

here are my broms ATM..

tillandsia fuego
img1626c.jpg

tillandsia stricta
img1363p.jpg

red pineapples, pineapple(middle), matchsticks and the "i-don't-know-name" brom(top most) from capt_bhutter
img1627z.jpg

Those are some nice broms, I seen some for sale a couple years ago in Calif. where huge and had massive flowers, I almost fell over when I found out how much they cost. One of the larger ones was $1200 USD! One thing nice is that they will pup pretty easy and you will end up with several of each of them, so you'll get your money back in the long run. There is a couple of the Tillandsia that have white flowers that have a sweet vanilla like smell. I don't remember their names, but they are worth growing if you can find them, you can also pollinate the flowers to get seeds and grow hundreds of them. They start off very small almost like Orchid seedlings only less of a hassle.
George W.

Nice stuff guys! I have some bromeliads & many diferent types of orchids, when I have a little more time I'll post whatever pics I have. I'm not to big on the broms, but I love the orchids. I collect them when I see a cut or dead tree or sometimes on the ground after some serious wind

Nice stuff guys! I have some bromeliads & many diferent types of orchids, when I have a little more time I'll post whatever pics I have. I'm not to big on the broms, but I love the orchids. I collect them when I see a cut or dead tree or sometimes on the ground after some serious wind

Ditto. There is an orchid thread here also. I've got a fair share of wild and some commercial varieties too. Cheers.

Back