• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Chiltepin

So, this is my first year trying to grow these. The plants started out great and then when I planted them outside it seems like they just stopped growing. It has been a few weeks maybe a month now that they have been in the ground. The plants still look healthy but just no new growth. Along with the no new growth no flowers which means no fruit. My other plants in the same area are doing great though.

So I guess my question is do these plants have any special needs? Any feeding, temperature, watering issues that I need to know about?

Chiltepin are pretty hardy but SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Give em some time and try mulching around them. You could try giving them a jumpstart with some aspirin with the next watering you give them. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just need some patience. Not one of my best qualities, especially when it comes to peppers :rofl:

Late to very late season peppers.....

For me in the hot climate I'm in, I've found they do better in partial shade.

I don't expect great yields until late fall and they do even better the following year.....

Chiltepins are also long-lifers - overwinter and you will be satisfied.

a guy gave me some wild chiltepin seeds and told me to plant them under a mesquite tree. said they dont like too much water either.

I've tried to grow chiltepins a couple of years ago.

They were slow to germinate.
They were slow to grow.
They never gave me any pods.

I gave up on them eventually and never tried again.

Wish you better luck.

Bleash

Back