• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Conditions

How extreme are the effects of growing conditions? How mild can for example a Fatalii be under bad conditions? And can the same conditions make one hotty mild and a mildy hot at the same time? :lol:

stressing the plant ( not as much water or ferts) makes the peppers hotter. But then again you would get less peppers. Tried it with by watering some plants less than others (letting them wilt once in a while) couldn't tell much of difference in the heat of the peppers or production. The less often watered ones did produce slightly less though.

Can growing conditions stunt fruit size? Some of my bells were smaller than the descriptions said it should have been. Their pots were a little on the small size and they didn't get great light.

alawn said:
Can growing conditions stunt fruit size? Some of my bells were smaller than the descriptions said it should have been. Their pots were a little on the small size and they didn't get great light.
Yes, for example, twords the end of the season when the temps get colder, pods get smaller.

I'd rather go for the healthiest plans I can grow and not try to mess around too much with stressing the plants. I know the theory of stressing plants is to produce hotter pods but is it worth the risk in cutting production by 50% or maybe killing the plant prematurely?

imaguitargod said:
Yes, for example, twords the end of the season when the temps get colder, pods get smaller.

Or as in the u.k a very cool summer caused small fruit on some variety's :lol:

So far I'm with you guys.
But can the same conditions, let's say a dry summer, be good for one variety and bad for another? In yield, size, heat, aroma?

Different plant have different ideal growing conditions, but most pods will get hotter with more heat and dryness.

imaguitargod said:

Pod shrinkage, rofl. I picture a pepper all embarrassed "Hey man its just cold out here I swear"

Pubescens (Rocoto) are a good example, they don't like it as hot as other peppers and grow well when the weather is not too fine, too. They can also stand lower temperatures than others. They'll still grow and fruit during a hot and dry summer, but the results wouldn't be thaaaat good.

Chiliac said:
Pubescens (Rocoto) are a good example, they don't like it as hot as other peppers and grow well when the weather is not too fine, too. They can also stand lower temperatures than others. They'll still grow and fruit during a hot and dry summer, but the results wouldn't be thaaaat good.

Good to read that. I finally received some seeds of red an yellow Rocotos and hope they will come out great in our climate.

They'll probably need a while to set fruit, once they do they are pretty prolific. They also take longer than most peppers to germinate. It's good to start them early, they need a lot of time.

Received sample pods from Nagaseeds the other day for comparison, and they're EXTREMELY SMALL! like little baby Nagas next to my Naga Morich, less than half the size! and my seeds came from Nagaseeds!!! :)

Armadillo said:
Good to read that. I finally received some seeds of red an yellow Rocotos and hope they will come out great in our climate.

Had great Success with Rocoto/Canario and Orange they will love it,just give them plenty of space to grow :)

Unless I want to save the seeds from them I just let them grow over everything else, they're quite floppy and like to spread over other plants like ivy.

talas said:
Had great Success with Rocoto/Canario and Orange they will love it,just give them plenty of space to grow :)

Chiliac said:
True, their side branches love to stretch out pretty much!

rainbowberry said:
Unless I want to save the seeds from them I just let them grow over everything else, they're quite floppy and like to spread over other plants like ivy.

My wife will love to hear that I suppose!:shocked:

Back