• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing datil peppers

Need help, I grew a datil pepper plant from seed given to me from a friend this summer, he had dehyrated datil peppers grown from the previous year and froze them. I got 6 peppers from him planted around 75 seeds and only got 2 plants to come up, one plant died the one that made it grew to almost 4 feet tall and produced between 180-200 peppers. Im oldschool with my growing technique, grew it in the garden preped soil with fish and 10-10-10 fertilizer, the plant was outstanding had to stake the limbs up to keep them from breaking. I have frozen around 100 of these peppers and saved seeds from the others. Whats the best method for processing seeds to plant in spring. Any advise on fertilizers and growing technique garden and in pots also anyone know of a source for buying datil pepper seeds hot and sweet or other pepper seeds that are close in flavour to the datil. Last thing whats a good hot sauce making kit or method for produceing hot sauce. Any advise or help with this is greatly appreciated.

Frist...welcome to THP from Fort Worth, Texas

Saving seeds - I let the pods dry on the plant for seeds I want to save then clean them and store in a dry, dark space....

What fertilize?....there are many opinions of what to use that you will find here on THP...usually in the gardening/growing forum...personally I use Botanicare products and follow their directed use....

Hey carolina and welcome to the pepper.I`m not sure what the tthread is but Natgreenmeds and Kato both have really good recipes for datil relish.You should look it up.I got datil red hybrid plants from thechiliwoman.com last year and was really happy.

Hi carolinatraveler welcome to THP from Charleston. I had just about the same luck with my Datil only one grew but it was a monster. A great pepper that I plan on growing for many years. I just scrape out seed of my best peppers and let them dry in a dish that's it. Go check out the MarketPlace seed trading forum on this site and talk to people there about seeds. Also check out Sauce Making 101. I know the soil in Pickens is very rich in red clay so growing in containers might be your best bet. Pepper plants need very little in the way of fertilizers, what your doing will work just fine.

Hey carolina,,if you are interested I have datil red (hybrid) seeds left after the 2008 parcel.Pm me if you are interested.Have a good one

In the past there was apparently a lot of bad/diseased Datil seeds going around so I recommend you get seeds from a reliable source preferably right from St Augustine, Florida if you can.

I take the seeds and set them on a paper towel on a plate to dry. Do a search on Datil and there are some great recipes! I will be growing them again next yr as well.

Back