• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Hab's and jalapeno's in Northern Mi?

millworkman said:
Totally. There are people on here that live above the arctic circle that grow.
Ok do I need any special tools or consideration's?

By the way can I use cow patties in my garden for fertilization?

Toss us a couple of clues, have you ever grown anything from seed before? Are you willing to start seeds inside, or were you planning on buying plants? What's your first and last frost dates?

Pam said:
Toss us a couple of clues, have you ever grown anything from seed before? Are you willing to start seeds inside, or were you planning on buying plants? What's your first and last frost dates?
I was going to check into a plant form since I have a garden spot might as well use it right?

And to answer your questions I have grown stuff from seeds before, I've grown unmentionables from a seed and a wet paper towl, I've grown a chia pet, I've grown lavender & sage for medicine packs, I've grown radishes before so I'm at the beginner level stage for gardening and I have help when I need help pulling out the weeds.

Sure you can. I have a friend in NW Michigan that grows all peppers. Hundreds of varieties. An early start is key. He starts them in early February. You want to set out nice size plants already flowering to jump start.

I too live in MI, but I'm in lower part (N. of Detroit).

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
Sure you can. I have a friend in NW Michigan that grows all peppers. Hundreds of varieties. An early start is key. He starts them in early February. You want to set out nice size plants already flowering to jump start.

I too live in MI, but I'm in lower part (N. of Detroit).

Chris
Ah very cool, I'm actually in the TC area, By the way can I use a fish tank to grow them inside with heat lambs during the winter? Or do they grow like wine grapes on a vine?

Ok if I start with the seeds and plant them in June, Will they they be ready to pick around September? And can I plant tomato's in the same garden as the hab's and Jala's?

You need to start seeds early like now actually if you want any success living that far north. Peppers are a fairly long season crop usually 80 to 120 days to maturity from transplant and they should be started 6-8 weeks before transplant.

They're not very difficult to grow though. If you need any seeds for anything I can mail you some I have quite a few varieties man

Thank you Tx, I'll let you know if I need some, I'm not sure if I want one plant or 2 just enough so I can pick 4 or 5 off the plant and use them on pizza or what not.

Both jalapenos and habaneros are very productive peppers. You can probably make do with one of each.

PhatManDerek said:
Thank you Tx, I'll let you know if I need some, I'm not sure if I want one plant or 2 just enough so I can pick 4 or 5 off the plant and use them on pizza or what not.

That's what they all say........then they end up like AJ lol. I give it to next year that you'll be growing 20 varieties if you stick around here.

Pam said:
Both jalapenos and habaneros are very productive peppers. You can probably make do with one of each.
Thanks Pam, I'll do habs & jala's

Txclosetgrower said:
That's what they all say........then they end up like AJ lol. I give it to next year that you'll be growing 20 varieties if you stick around here.
Trust me I may be able to get away with 3 plants since I have a 600 square feet apartment.

PhatManDerek said:
Thanks Pam, I'll do habs & jala's

Trust me I may be able to get away with 3 plants since I have a 600 square feet apartment.

I'm going to grow probably 10-20 on my balcony this year grew 9 last year. Apartment living is rough for gardening bro. I can't wait til I can affird a house. I'm only 22 so I probably got a bit more apartment living to do.

Txclosetgrower said:
I'm going to grow probably 10-20 on my balcony this year grew 9 last year. Apartment living is rough for gardening bro. I can't wait til I can affird a house. I'm only 22 so I probably got a bit more apartment living to do.
I know what you mean , I've just moved in here about 3 months ago and I'm liking it overall but I don't have a big kitchen or can't get the dog I would like to get "A pit bull, German Shepard, so on.

But it's teaching to cook in a confined space & it's close to my college I'm going to be attending in June.

You can also try a few in containers - say a 3 gal or 5 gallon. That way you can put them outside early and bring them in if frost is expected. You can always transplant to the garden later. I like containers because I can move them to more sun during the day. Peppers like plenty of sun.

bigt said:
You can also try a few in containers - say a 3 gal or 5 gallon. That way you can put them outside early and bring them in if frost is expected. You can always transplant to the garden later. I like containers because I can move them to more sun during the day. Peppers like plenty of sun.
Thank you BigT, I might that for now I'm going with plants & possible seeds.

What would taste better, Hydrophonics's grow or potted soil grow?

PhatManDerek said:
What would taste better, Hydrophonics's grow or potted soil grow?

Probably end up tasting the same, but hydro would grow much, much faster.

Or you could split the difference and go with coco coir.....its a hydro medium that you can treat more like soil and hand water.

That's what i'll be doing this year.

Back