beer GROWING HOPS!!!

A natural leap for homebrewing pepper growers.

I got 2 rhizomes to grow and bear cones last year:

1 Cascade, and 1 Mt Hood. They are too fun to grow! growing 2 inches a day!

I just ordered 8 more rhizomes for this spring:

2 Willamette
1 more Cascade
1 Fuggles
1 Magnum
1 crystal
and 2 hallertaur

Hops grow up as a vine. They do best on a pole or a string that allows 20 or more feet of upwards growth.

The south side of my house allows good twine up to the roof line and does not take up any pepper real estate FROM THE GARDEN!

:cheers:

Righteous!

I would recommend ordering them soon, I would also recommend getting a different variety.

Hallertaur or Fuggles are very versatile and have a distinctly more "english" taste than Cascade.

Don't get me wrong, cascade is great and centennial too, but they are considered fairly similar, and cascade should grow really well for you there.

hi cheezydemon i bought a rhizomes and got it yesterday im now trying to think were im going to put it lol

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

its called north down

Awesome!

Give it some good thought.

The south side of a house is a good bet.

They need to be able to grow up at least 15 feet or so.

Are you a hop head? I am pondering spending 15.99 on a sixer of Stone ruination today.

That is a healthy investment!

well i enjoy brewing and i thought it would be fun growing some hops so thought i would give it a go i was thinking about growing it up a string from a lamp post it will not be straight up it will be on a long slant up do you think that would work as cant realy grow it up the house wall ill take a pic latter of where i was thinking of doing in maby build a pole 15' up

It will work, you may need to train it a good bit at first though.

I have never tried growing them low, but I know it is not advised.

I may try one on a chain link fence this year anyways.

Make sure to prepare the soil a bit and pinch all but the strongest 1 or 2 sprouts.

cheezydemon said:
It will work, you may need to train it a good bit at first though.

I have never tried growing them low, but I know it is not advised.

I may try one on a chain link fence this year anyways.

Make sure to prepare the soil a bit and pinch all but the strongest 1 or 2 sprouts.

why is growing them low not advised

also is it posibale to grow them from big pots and what kind of soil should i use thanks for ur help

Pots work fine, but they need to be BIG.

The cones typically grow on the higher parts of the vines.

The bottom 6 feet of mine were bare last year.

If one was to grow on a fence and the whole plant was below 6 foot, I can't believe that it would produce 0 cones, but I don't know.

Hop farms use poles to grow them, but when you have 50 acres, that is the best way to use the space. In a yard, you can use what you have and aren't growing hops on every square foot available.

Also, the first year will not produce much regardless of how high it is, so be patient!

i will start it off in a 10 l pot and will pot up if need be and im not expecting alot on the first year afew would be nice tho :D

Trellis

I had a beautiful hop garden at my last house. I ran 5 - 3/4" galvanized conduits straight up then used 90 degree bends to run straight horizontal across to my backyard shed.
I hated having to leave them when I moved. I wish I had pictures!!!

I'll be getting mine for free from my local brewery in about a month or two....YA! One is Cascade and the othe ris a Cascade/something else mixe that is four years old (I'll be getting the hole root ball on that one)!!! W00T!

..........You BASTARD!!!!!lol

My cascade (which was a monster for a 1st year, 24 feet tall and enough hops for a respectable pale ale) has sent up shoots!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAA!!!

Now I just need my new ones. COME ON MAIL!!!!;)

Thank you brother.:cheers:

A well wish on a thread where you actually have no direct personal interest is, to me, the best sign of a good group of people.;)

Thanks for stopping in, and, in addition to using commas effectively (;)), I promise a full photo journal of these incredible vines!

Back