• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing hot peppers in an Aerogarden

Always being fascinated by "tv Shop" equipment I bought a classic 7 pod Aerogareden and set it up in my office at work.
Got a mastergarden kit to plant the seeds, and liquid nutrients. I have never used a hydro based system before, always grown directly in soil, and I must say that the growth I´m getting at the moment is some what amazing.
Only problem now is that the plants are getting too big quickly. Will transplant them to a "ChilliGrow" setup in some weeks.

What I have growing is
7 pod yellowh
morounga red
morounga yellow
Trinidad Scorpio
Trinidad Scorpio Butch T (Just sprouted)
Naga Morich
Naga Viper(Just planted, the one in the hood)

Seeds germinated in wet paper.

1 day
1f420111103046337.jpg

1 week
db4201111041878f4.jpg

2 weeks
e64201111050991fc.jpg

We have one of the "deluxe" models - only grew some of their provided seeds (basil, parsley, chives, etc.). The cost of running it was way more than what the herbs were worth so we shut it down a couple years ago.

You have inspired me to fire it up again and throw some super hots at it.

Seems like a good way to start seedlings and pot up to soiless medium after. I keep looking at these and never click the button to buy.

Is it possible to transplant from something like the AeroGarden to soil once they get large enough or would that shock them too much??

They have the right idea about running it at the office. Consider the electricity a perk of the job. :lol:

I never thought of that. Do you think that you could actually get a plant to put off fruit in one of those things? You could basically grow in any environment (even when all you have is sand and 120 degrees outside temps...). If you can get some production I may have to pick a few up before my next trip overseas.

I saw someone posted pics of one they got fruit on awhile back. They basically kept pruning it so it stayed short from what I remember.

Is it possible to transplant from something like the AeroGarden to soil once they get large enough or would that shock them too much??

It is possible yes but it can be a shock i tried an aerogarden a few years back with decent results and transfered all my plants with only one death..the trick is try andmake sure the nutrient level is as simalar as in the aerograden.
The plants grew very well in the aerogarden but i didnt use all the pods as i left space so the plants could grow side ways as well as up and also purchased the extender shaft so i could pull it up above two feet so the plants had plenty of room to grow..which they did,good device but not cheap.Theres also someone on ebay selling the nutrients which are much cheaper and better as well as the pods.

Time for the 3 weeks in Aerogarden update and my chillies are growing too big for it already...
The 2 small once will have a hard time catching up...
I have never seen anything grow at this rate...
I need to get my ChilliGrow pots and transplant them, problem is that I cant get them to the office for another week.
Should I start cutting the leafs or?
Can the bumps on the leafs be due to sunburn?

e410201112300107ef.jpg

Time for the 3 weeks in Aerogarden update and my chillies are growing too big for it already...
The 2 small once will have a hard time catching up...
I have never seen anything grow at this rate...
I need to get my ChilliGrow pots and transplant them, problem is that I cant get them to the office for another week.
Should I start cutting the leafs or?
Can the bumps on the leafs be due to sunburn?

e410201112300107ef.jpg
Yep...growing nicely. And don't worry about those bumpy leaves. Those are very healthy and a transplant would make them happy when they start becoming stifled in that little aerogarden.

Should I prune these small leafs on bottom of the naga morich?
Lots of small leafs and some strange growth above some of them.
At what height can i Prune the top (cm)? I want a compact plant, not a 2 meter one stem plant. Do I just prune of the top, and two stems will for at the previous pair of leafs?

85112011124555d7f2.jpg

Thanks

Should I prune these small leafs on bottom of the naga morich?
Lots of small leafs and some strange growth above some of them.
At what height can i Prune the top (cm)? I want a compact plant, not a 2 meter one stem plant. Do I just prune of the top, and two stems will for at the previous pair of leafs?

85112011124555d7f2.jpg

Thanks
If you want to keep them in this system then prune, just don't expect much pod production from a plant that keeps getting pruned. This system wasn't designed for big pepper plants. Its more of a novelty herb thing.

If you want to keep them in this system then prune, just don't expect much pod production from a plant that keeps getting pruned. This system wasn't designed for big pepper plants. Its more of a novelty herb thing.

Yeah, that´s why I´m going to transplant them in 2 weeks to a chiiligrow system

chilligrow_benefits_image.jpg

My link

Week 4 update
The plants are getting too big for the aerogarden, will transplant some of them next week and maybe keep two growing in the Aerogarden.

The grow speed has been amazing, and I didn´t think I had to transplant them for another 4 weeks when I started...

0f17201140950276e.jpg

fruit can be grown in it for sure. i have an aero garden that i left my 3 smallest plants in and transplanted the others. And then have only pruned off the leaves or stem that are just about to touch the light as they get close, becasue they will burn anyways. i have 2 Explosive Ember plants with about 8 pods total and one Big Bomb with 1 or 2 pods on it. i havent exactly been diligent with trying to pollinate them a heck of a lot either. so it can be done. The strain would make a big difference though if you used a more compact type. judging by your pictures i thought id let you in on how close those plants can actually be to the light. mine are approx 1 inch from the bulb and actually higher than the hoods lip without being burned. and i would cut it off if it got much closer. hope this helps. Enjoy

Week 5 update.
My airpots/chilliegrow arrived yesterday so 3 of the plants will go out of the Aerogarden.
The Aerogarde looks more like a jungle atm :)

e324201130915c3b0.jpg

Back