• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in Plastic Party Cups What about Drainage

When growing in party cups from germination to transplant, should I be putting a decent amount of drainage holes in the bottom of the cups?

I see a tons of great posts and pictures like.

NOT MY PIC, SAW IT IN A POST HERE
LIGHT%20STAND%20%231.JPG

I'm wondering about drainage on these cups, and can I grow to this height in these cups with seeding mix if it has nutrients in it??

YES - drainage is important for peppers, as they do not like to stay wet. I started mine in this type of cups, and before filling them with dirt, cut several good-sized holes around the bottoms - between 1/8" and 1/4" diameter. Frankly, it was a pain in the tush, but worth it!

I use a sharp-pointed small pair of scissors for this. Just poke one blade in to desired depth and give it a turn. Takes about 15 seconds to put 4 holes along the bottom sides. I use the same pair for pruning pepper plants.

31tojdoTBZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use a sharp-pointed small pair of scissors for this. Just poke one blade in to desired depth and give it a turn. Takes about 15 seconds to put 4 holes along the bottom sides. I use the same pair for pruning pepper plants.

31tojdoTBZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ok thanks, I will just power drill out some large gague bit and pop some holes in there.

I wont be moving into cups like this for a little bit, and then outside... and once getting colder back inside to harvest.....

thanks, all..

going to try to grow 365 days this year...

I did mine at the angle at the base of the cup, so part of the hole was on the bottom, part on the side. If you do them strictly on the side, be sure to make them right at the very bottom of the cup wall - you don't want to let water stand in the bottom.

I use a bic lighter to melt holes in at an angle like gemee said. A soldering iron would work great too if you can handle the fumes lol

I did mine at the angle at the base of the cup, so part of the hole was on the bottom, part on the side. If you do them strictly on the side, be sure to make them right at the very bottom of the cup wall - you don't want to let water stand in the bottom.
Agreed. I start the hole right at the bottom. When you twist the scissors to enlarge/round the hole, it will make the hole be right at the bottom :)

I wont be moving into cups like this for a little bit, and then outside... and once getting colder back inside to harvest.....

thanks, all..

going to try to grow 365 days this year...
[/quote]

I started my seeds in a super small pot. Probably double the size of a Pepto-Bismol plastic medicine cup. They have yet to germinate. At what size/stage can I transplant them in one of these plastic red party cups?

may be you could heat up a crocheting needle, since hose have a nice thikness.u could easily poke some holes anywere on the cup u want.

I usually start in styrofoam coffee cups, I find they have several advantages over the plastic ones! :cool:

They're also SUPER-EASY to poke drainage holes in - I use a Philips-head screwdriver, can poke multiple holes in bottom (I usually go 3 holes for a 8oz coffee cup, and 5 holes for a Cup-o-Noodle 4" pot) in a matter of seconds! :D

I just took scissors and snipped out four vertical pie wedges around the bottom rim. It has worked awesome so far and the cups are mostly re-useable.

Yeah. melting is awesome. I take several cups and stack them all together, then take a 1/8th inch drill bit that's about 9 inches long and get it hot. Then just push it through the bottom a couple of times. I can knock out about 10 cups at once that way.
I then reuse my cups for a few grows.

Back