• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing in Smart pot's

Pepper-Guru said:
I go as big as I can, but so long as you're air pruning, you're going to get great results. Circling roots in plasic containers trigger the plant to begin taking in nutrients differently and therefore grow at a slower rate (root bound). The plants go into an automated "bonsai" mode if you will. With air pruning the tips of the root shoots are pruned, creating side shoots that branch out into a fibrous mass. Fibrous root systems take in exponentially more nutrients as time goes on.
Really starting to like the smart pots. Going to have to get some more and repot some other plants. Thanks for the tips my friend! Go big or go home lol. Will go big then. :)
Pepper-Guru said:
I go as big as I can, but so long as you're air pruning, you're going to get great results. Circling roots in plasic containers trigger the plant to begin taking in nutrients differently and therefore grow at a slower rate (root bound). The plants go into an automated "bonsai" mode if you will. With air pruning the tips of the root shoots are pruned, creating side shoots that branch out into a fibrous mass. Fibrous root systems take in exponentially more nutrients as time goes on.
Will go big then, really starting to like the smart pots. Thanks for the tips my friend. Go big or go home, I think I'll go big! :)

Pepper-Guru said:
That was last years Brainstrain from seed in a 65 gallon. Still smaller than my 8 yr Fatalii mother ;)

65 gal :eek: I bet that cost a pretty penny to fill up with potting soil. The results make it look worth it though.

SanPatricio said:
:high:  :high:  I catch your drift Kimosabe :high:  :high:

To be honest, I meant that in literal terms, there are some very scientific based posts on there. It is a very good resource....

i read there too, guru.......found a lot of cool stuff on regulators on ICmag, that keeps me interested. a guy named spurr is pretty knowledable, although he is now banned at IC, his posts are killer.

hydromike said:
I am also going to be growing with some fabric pots this year, except I will use the geopots which seem a little thicker than the smart pots but are pretty much the same products. Hopefully this pans out! You should post some pics once you get things going :)
Don't use Tan Geopots, they will dry rot in less then one year.  I used Black with out any trouble, but have had Black Smartpots for three years now.   

Pepper-Guru said:
Air Pruning FTW!

7913784902_c910ff27e1_b.jpg

OMFG, those are frkn trees u have there...
Hoping to also get some of those trees when we are 8yrs later
Just super to see such kinds of pics! Keep up the good work for wich u have my upmost respect!!

Greetz,

Olli

I haven't had the same results.  I started with 6 air pots and 6 regular plastic pots that were the same size, same soil, location, feedings, watering, etc.  I have no noticeable difference in plant size, or harvest.  I was hoping that the smart pots would far out perform the regular pots since they cost around 5x's as much!

I started put them in my patch like this, mixed evenly between plastic and air pots.
IMG_20130724_200756_696_zps23f117c2.jpg

And now after harvesting about 5 or 6 times and some wind damage to a few, but they are still producing!
IMG_20130911_151001_845_zps38d83b4e.jpg

IMG_20130911_150947_795_zpsed107ae7.jpg

Here are two Fatalii's side by side, one in a plastic and one in a smart pot. I can't see any difference.
IMG_20130911_151017_188_zpsc8d6f9ec.jpg

Maybe I need to go bigger than 7 gallons to see a difference?  Maybe I'm not doing "it" right?  My plants are all strong and producing like crazy, still putting out flowers in my Northern location.  I am VERY happy with my plants, just let down that the smart pots aren't out performing the regular pots in any way that I can tell. 

Back