• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Mushrooms

Thank you for a brilliant and considerate reply Edaxflamma.

I appreciate it and I agree with everything you mention, to the best of my knowledge that is. 
I don't have the experience and information from the private sector and so remain ignorant about many things that are better known in that arena.

Thank you for a brilliant and considerate reply Edaxflamma.

I appreciate it and I agree with everything you mention, to the best of my knowledge that is. 
I don't have the experience and information from the private sector and so remain ignorant about many things that are better known in that arena.

Edaxflamma, don't suppose you've worked with any Laccaria species? Or anyone else?
I've wanted to work with culturing them for some time now but can't seem to find any real documentation of it, regardless of it being one of the more commonly used "lab" fungus for symbiont studies.. Or so I've read.
I have Stamets complete works, along with a few other references that are completely worthless in this pursuit. 
Mainly looking for information related to known hosts and any experiments or data related to culturing them in the field, greenhouse, or indoors.
I'd love to have emphasis on L. laccata, but I'm also interested in data related to L. bicolor, L. amethystina, and even L. ochropurpurea.. All of which are pretty common around here. 
Also looking for good mix ideas for achieving the best return on shredded cardboard with oysters..Probably using P. citrinopileatus , if I can get them going from the dried bouquets I have.  
Currently just have some C. lagopus going in my pots that I brought indoors from the yard, and an unid dark brown/black mycelium growing in a bag of shredded Oak leaves I had in storage.. Maybe Armillaria? 

Here's some recent shots of the Lagopus with our newish 
Sansevieria.. They only been in this pot for maybe 2 months now and the fruiting occurs so often I wish they were edible. One thing nice about growing them in 30-40% humidity is they don't melt too easily, or get very large.. I have a few dried specimens already, ready to go. If you look closely in the second picture, you can see the "fuzz" on the heads of the two tiny ones that are still buried. 
hfFMY82l.jpg

Y2hlgBLl.jpg

Wow I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - must have missed the notification. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Laccaria. Most of my mycorrhizal work was with ericaceous plants (blueberry, cranberry, wintergreen, huckleberry, rhododendron, etc.) and it wasn't endemic to the locations I surveyed.   

If you don't mind digging through source material, Research Gate is a great place to start.             
https://www.researchgate.net/search.Search.html?type=publication&query=Laccaria

If you see something that doesn't have the full article posted, politely message the original authors for a copy and 9/10 they will send it right over. This applies to just about any field of research not just mycology. 

As far as the oysters are concerned, let me know what you are planning to do. There are a million ways to go about it. It would be easier to adjust your plan knowing what resources you have at your disposal rather than building something from scratch that could end up being difficult for you to achieve. Tell me a little bit about your experience with aseptic technique, your growing environment, and your available input materials and we'll see if we can make a game plan.

I've thrown so many fungi in these bins now, it's hard to say which one I have here, but it smells wonderful and is every bit of the aggressor I was searching for. My most recent new worm bin, and a new cardboard/coffee grounds culture I'm trying to introduce "The Stuff" too. The last batch had compost in it, and I'm hoping to train it to just cardboard/grounds, after it took easy to cardboard transfer. If this batch goes well, I will probably try to fruit it out.. I just don't want it to change modes until I'm able to build up a nice supply. With the way this colonizes dirty sub, I don't care if it fruits or not.
Not mush room in this worm bin right now, but everything in it seems happy.

20220425_113036_1.gif
20220425_113116_1.gif

20220427_162820.jpg
20220427_165623.jpg
20220427_170141.jpg

Who needs luck when you've got THE STUFF!
3 days between these shots.. The other new sub is ready to divide again. Think I might try to see if I can fruit it out soon. Anyone here grown the 'Sporeless Oyster'? I'd love to hear more about it.
20220503_193022.jpg
20220506_091921.jpg

Back