• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Growing pepper seedling in a cup of water?

Hi,

I had two jalapenos that sprouted in the same cell. Right as it's first true leaves start showing, I gently dug/pulled one out by the cotyledons and managed to keep the root system and leaves intact.

I have taken cuttings of my rubber plant before, where I just let the cutting sit in water and it grows pretty big roots, so I thought I would try the same with this jalapeno seedling. So I took the seedling and placed it in a shot glass filled with tap water.

It's been a couple of weeks and now the thing has perky leaves, a second set of true leaves with more coming, and is looking pretty great all around. The roots have been growing in quite nicely. The one interesting thing I noticed is that the main stem still has the soil stuck on it from when I pulled it from the starting cell too.

I change the water every couple of days, and usually I toss a tiny bit of soil in the water too, hoping it can somehow transfer a bit of nutrients if needed (though I'm skeptical this actually does anything haha). I'm just wondering how long can this jalapeno seedling stay in a cup of water like this? I can transplant it whenever, but I think it's just a fun experiment since I have 8 other jalapeno plants. 

Thanks all and happy growing!

Raol said:
Hi,

I'm just wondering how long can this jalapeno seedling stay in a cup of water like this? I can transplant it whenever, but I think it's just a fun experiment 

Let us know.

You definitely can grow in this method. Look at this thread for some similar grows.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/54057-super-stripped-down-improper-hydro-experiment/#entry1151506

Basically you are growing hydroponically.
While the plant is young it doesn't need alot of nutrients, but eventually you will need to pick up some nutrients to add to the water or the plant will starve. It will start turning light yellow or white when that happens.

Either way it is definitely possible to keep it in just the cup of water all the way until it pods. The only trouble you might have is keeping the plant from tipping over. Here is a jalapeno I have growing in just a cup of water. Just started it's first flower.

Jalapeno is on the far right.

Just incase anyone is wondering, here's a picture of my Shot glass Jalapeno.

9UZtpQI.jpg

Debating moving it to a bigger cup soon, but the roots still have a bit of room to grow in there. Started a second one next to it there with some "Lantern Chili" I had two of in one pod.

Yellowfin2na: Are the black covers around the top of your containers/base of your plants to keep it growing straight up? Or is it to protect the water?

Also are there any suggestions for fertilizers? I have Schultz 10-15-10 liquid fertilizer, as well as access to some miracle-gro fertilizer powder that you're supposed to mix with water and is 24-8-16. Would either of these work, or should I be looking for something different?

Thanks again everyone!

Raol said:

Debating moving it to a bigger cup soon, but the roots still have a bit of room to grow in there. Started a second one next to it there with some "Lantern Chili" I had two of in one pod.

Yellowfin2na: Are the black covers around the top of your containers/base of your plants to keep it growing straight up? Or is it to protect the water?

Also are there any suggestions for fertilizers? I have Schultz 10-15-10 liquid fertilizer, as well as access to some miracle-gro fertilizer powder that you're supposed to mix with water and is 24-8-16. Would either of these work, or should I be looking for something different?

Thanks again everyone!
Looks real good!

The black at the base of the plants is just pieces of black plastic from a trash bag I cut. The purpose of it is to block the light from roots. Too much light will cause algea growth on the roots and prevent oxygen intake which will stunt growth and cause other problems. They can only grow straight up for so long. Eventually without support they will lean. My black scorpion tongue is doing that.
I'm not really familiar with liquid fertilizer or how to mix it at the right ratio. My guess is that is more for adding to soil. What your doing is defiantly hydroponics so you would probably be better off getting a small sample size of hydro nutrients. A sample size will last a pretty long time for just a few plants. General hydroponics and technaflora BC are the two that I can think of on the top of my head that sell smaller sized bottles.

Or you can keep experimenting with the mix that you have because it seems to be working.

Raol said:

9UZtpQI.jpg

Thanks again everyone!
very cool!!!I like it!!!

Back