• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container growing peppers in containers

C'mon your father wouldn't do that...........right?........... Dale, don't say the other 60% is sandy soil and dead fire ants........ :lol: ....just kidding

Seriously, do you have any issue with the pine bark with the moistue and humidity?
I've used that in my yard for mulch but the slugs loved migrate out and about in it.
It use to be a battle with some of my perennials and the slugs but "Sevin" takes care of that...

Greg

Do i have any issues with it?? LOL :) Have u SEEN my plants?? HaHaHa....Nope no problems with the mix we use at all...You have to find the right balance of things in the mix to combat certain obstacles that are presented by growing in Florida. Heat, Humidity, Full sun or 40% shade cloth overhead...all these factors come into play when we choose what we grow in...We have grown in pots for 59+ years....this will be the first time we go "In Ground" with plants on the nursery property...We would do everything in pots but to be honest thats just not "cost effective" for us right now...maybe down the road....the nursery when we had it running at full capacity we would have roughly 10,000 plants on the ground in pots in the greenhouses at any time....those numbers are what we are shootingforwith this next years crop...but of peppers not tropical interior foliage..

Do to space limitations I do all my peppers [and tomatoes] in containers. Size depends on plant [up to 5gal]. I also use growing medium [not dirt.] This means I supply all the food and extra water. Here in South Seattle there is no shortage of moss. I line the tops of the containers with it to help keep in moisture. I also put my pepper plants up on my shed roof edge where it's easy to get to yet warmer by about 8-10 deg. I feed with fish fert, Epsom salts, compost tea, etc.

Hello , I had great luck with 25 or so plants in 5 gallon up. I always check the container to make sure it has a 1,2,4 & 5 on the recycling symbol. Looks like we all find a secret mix that works for us. I use the fish emulsions for mine. I have a gravel drive which seemed ideal. You need to remember that pots can dry out fast in hot or windy weather. I knew gravel leaches out water. I found out in temps of 95-100+ that the mulch I had some on was pulling water out of the pots too. Expect to water twice a day in mid summer. I will be using a drip line on the mother plants. I loved the mobility as summer 2011 was our first season in this home. I now know where I can grow in ground. They really need a cover or shade in mid afternoon heat. Good luck, you will find how rewarding it is ! Have a great season, and overwinter ,what you can for a faster start next season !

Has anyone used the "fabric" Smart Pots ? I'm about to set up a trellised 50-100 organic soil system with a Dripworks drip irrigation for melons and the same system untrellised for peppers. The pepper containers will be in a stabilized rack off the ground with windbreaks. I'm trying to decide between 5 gallon buckets, 5-7 gallon plastic nursery pots or the smart pots. The Greenhouse Megastore nursery pots is the cheapest option and have good reviews...but are they the best option in the long run? I'd love to get the best bang for my my money and have the investment last for years.

Suggestions?

One of our members here, Alabamajack, observed that his plants did better when on the ground. He said the grounded plants were noticably larger than the elevated plants.

I am going to try 2 plants this year in smart pots, no exerience yet though.

We will be doing roughly 5,000 plants in the ground this spring.....

Dale, how much area do 5,000 plants require? I remember we used to plant commercial tomatoes at about 4,000 plants per acre. Are peppers about the same? Thanks. - Sawyer

i grow everything in 3 gallons.all peppers that we sell all of our personal,and all of our vegetables. the only thing i dont use 3 gallon for is carrots and we grow them in a box. container growing is the way to go imo.

I have grown in smart pots, In fact I got a peter Pepper growing in a grow tent indoors in a smart pot while expermeniting with ferts and coco.

Back