• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing picckled peppers

Yes, but the peppers that grow are already pickled.

I'm 99.999% sure they're deader than a dornail bro. Pickling usually involves enough heat, acid, and salt to kill seeds. Afterall, pickling things was invented to preserve food, killing microbes and keeping them at bay, so pretty much anything in that jar that was once viable is now dead.

FiveStar said:
I'm 99.999% sure they're deader than a dornail bro. Pickling usually involves enough heat, acid, and salt to kill seeds. Afterall, pickling things was invented to preserve food, killing microbes and keeping them at bay, so pretty much anything in that jar that was once viable is now dead.
Heat in pickling? heat will kill the seeds, but pickling won't. the seeds just need to be treated first.

Omri said:
Heat in pickling? heat will kill the seeds, but pickling won't. the seeds just need to be treated first.

Weeelllll.... it depends what kind of pickles I guess. If they're refrigerator style pickles, you just kinda dump the hot pickling solution over whatever you're pickling and slap a sterilized lid on. It's gotta be kinda hot to create a vacuum. However, like skinning cats, there are many ways to pickle. This is the major reason some pickles are stored on the shelf in the supermarket, and others are stored in the fridge section.

I usually process my pickles in a waterbath canner for a while just to be sure they won't go south for a long time.

I may be wrong about the pickled seeds, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Anyone in THP land gotten pickled seeds to germinate?

I was pickled one time when I started some seeds...

roflmao @ Quad...

Back