• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Growing Plants Outdoors during Winter

Hello all, well soon here in southern cal it will be time to winterize my plants outdoors that is. I have around 40 five gallon containers currently growing my peppers in two rows of 20 each growing parallel with each other. What would be something I can do to keep them nice outside until spring arrives again? This is there first growing season, so they are all about 12-18 inches high. Can I cover them all together with plastic or something to get them through the winter? I don't want to move them around or have to put them in the garage. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

My first thought for s. calif would be santana winds. Here they are so fierce they knocked over a 50 lb cement planter and rolled it 30 feet into the street.

Each year I must move all the pots to the walls, and they are usually ok. The furniture is what ends up in the pool.

My cayenne, thai, & jalapeno are fine over winter. One year I pulled a bunch out of their pots and thru them into a plastic trash bag, but never got around to throwing them out. Even with no care at all they thrived so well thru the winter that in spring I planted them in the ground.

If you can protect it from the dry winds then you should be good to go. I think IGGY grew a piquin in socal planted outside for a few years in a row.

Maybe put a fence or some other wind blocker in front of them. I'd hate for your plants to end up in the street. Tie em to the fence?

Back