• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing season. Wasted time, plants cooking in small pots

Today had to drop all plans and fix plants. Today seen that good looking White Habs, repoted in small pots where looking as bad as my Orange habs in the small pots and all the Purple Jalapenos repoted where growing great even the Habs in the large pot I used for starting seeds looking great with good growth. Looking around reliesed all in small pots are not doing good and the longer they where in the small pots the worse they are doing. So was repoting in big pots as many as I could fit in the big pots 4 and 6 per pot. Seeing the growth of the repoted 2 days ago with not have much time to get dirt in bigger pots and repot as they get bigger, wow have not seen growth this fast. Useing ground Coconut fiber is great as its stays cooler, so repoting as adding it to ones in bigger pots that don't have it yet....

Will take picks and show as worth seeing. Also having to hide from full sun so chili plants only get half day. Things maybe looking up now that I've found out this info. But have lost some seeds planting them in small pots cooked em I guess...

Could of had a much better season if I had understand the heat could slow things rite down even kill seeds in pots. hopping things go much better with new seeds.

The repoted chilies some are 2 months older then the pixs under
P1020636.jpg

The pot I used to start the Hab seeds.
P1020645.jpg

I've cooked many seeds this season by trial and error setting up my homemade heat pad. :(

But I'm so cheap I only ever sow one seed per pot. It eliminates losses from thining out, and because I have the space I can maximise germination rates by having them inside in a temperature and humidity controlled cupboard. Do it inside if you can Exavier.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. You mean how small and large are pots?

First what I meant to say was germinate the seeds inside so you don't cook them in the sun. Chille seeds need to be moist at constant temps of about 85F or 29C for a week to even 4 weeks.

Once they are larger plants with a four or five sets of leaves they will be better able to survive outside temperature ups and downs. Move them outside slowly to get them used to it, a short time each day then bring them back in.

If their roots don't have anywhere to grow the plant will not get any bigger. I read another post somewhere on this site that says if the leaves of the plant are spilling over the edge or the pot then it is too small and time to repot it up. Too small pots don't insulate the heat, so the roots will get too hot and too cold, they don't like that. If you put a layer of mulch on top of the soil it will keep the roots cool during the heat of the day.

If you only have small pots or thin plastic ones you can group them next to each other and that will help to keep the soil temp steady.

I hope I understood your problem correctly. :)

Sorry should have said small is any under 6 inch as if it get 36C then down to a cool 32C. Have found 34C to 32C has seeds coming up about 5 to 10 days. But is normal temps for where we are at. Only now we are having winter nights as cool as 28C and maybe a little cooler but not much. In the small 2 inch pots only the fastest growing ones got put in bigger pots but Habs are slow growing so few were ever move bigger and when the Habs to get moved only moved to a 4 inch still seem not big enough as the odd ball got put in 6 inch did much better and the ones in a 1 1/2 foot pot seedlings are doing great even though moved 2 times to take some out are doing better then the took one is smaller pots. Took along time for me to understand or even think it could be the case. As I had no free seed pots for planting White & Chocolate Hab seeds I used a big 1 1/2 inch pot I had free to plant some of the seeds. The seedlings did great the seedlings moved to small 2 inch pots did bad one started to look like a Orange hab two months older. And the Orange Habs that where put into 6 inch pots looked better but one put in 4 inch did not... None are root bound or close to it in 2 inch pots so are far from it the big pots. Can't see them being save from hot and cool flashs as is hot all the time. Don't think they'd ever see hotter then 39C for 8 hours. So not sure whats the real reason it maybe this way? But can't have them out in rainning season or will not do well ether.

Just went out with a friend and had along talk about plants, in pots and out of ground, in ground out of pots. Hes got his Orange, Lime, Lemon trees in ground. Mine are in pots mine fruit his do not. Was great seeing the look on his face at how small mine are and have fruit all over them. How ever his Jasmine Bush is 6 times bigger then mine and younger in ground. Most others that We grow is exotic and most people don't have so can't conpare....

I must say I wish I had some ground to plant in. I told him he should make a box, no top or botom. Fill with dirt and plant the Lime, Lemon, Orange trees in them to keep them higher then ground level so there not always sitting in water.

Other orange Hab that were in small pots and not doing well in them.
P1020640.jpg

Orange hab repoted 2 weeks ago doing better helped me understand small pots not good here
P1020643.jpg

Seed trays I normaly use. Is chili seedlings after 10 days, Dragon fruit seedlings, Passion fruit seedlings.
P1020651.jpg

Purple Jalapenos in small pots I'm not happy about...
P1020652.jpg

Purple Jalapeno I planted in spare bigger pot. same batch of seedlings as ones above. It as well helped me think some thing was wrong with small pots.
P1020641.jpg

Today got more 50% blocking sun sheets so covering hole deck with them all but a small spot for the Lemon, Lime trees. Put temp gage on deck was 46C so was very wrong how hot plants close to deck were getting.... The sheets should bring heat down enough ? Plants not changing size much yet after repoting in bigger pots but are turning greener.

Will 50% sun be enough to hold fruit ???

I live in the same sort of climate as you Exavier, and from my experience when plants need full sun, you need shade anyway, it's just too hot for them in FULL sun. I think, yes 50% will still fruit, however they will need SOME direct unfiltered sun at some stage through out the day. Also you could try setting up some sort of misting system to bring you're temperatures down.

Good luck mate.

:cheers:

Jas

Things are going much better got some better pixs. Got some better markers to tell seedlings apart. Plants are getting morning sun and 50% most of the other part of the day.
P1020696.jpg

Habaneros looking better.
P1020699.jpg

I love your porch pics. I want to see more. Is there a solid roof there? What direction are we facing? Where is sun coming from at what time? I am jealous of the shade cloth. Is there enough air flow now? Can you roll it up or down a little?
What is your soil mix? Looks like calcined clay. Or is it sand in your coir?
This space will add lots of beauty and joy to your lives in the coming months. The plants will occupy your dreams. Try and keep the bleach/Fantastic and paint off the plants and chairs. :silenced:

The deck is south. The sun is going from left side morning to the right though the day over head to the south abit as Thailand is north of E,.. Not much wind at all here. Thinking trouble was water not draining well. Will be adding more sand, have repoted again some to try and see if I can get better water draining with new poting style.?. Have put big rocks on bottom so hoping for air flow after draining. Wet foot I think is the troubles as had to repot our passion fruit vine as was loseing leaves from siting in water. Was very wet at very bottom of most pots I have repoted. So will keep trying to do better, but thinking first get poting mix better for draining.

Back