• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growth problems

Hi all.

I have a problem with superhots again this year.

The problem is, that less hot peppers like jalapeno and red cherry are growing normal, while hotter ones barely reach 10cm. The same was happening last year and I almost didn't get any crops .
Thats why I changed some things for this year, like:
1) I sow the seeds in the beginning of february(year before - on april)
2) Mixed better soil (as I think) with 1 part regular potting soil + 1p peat moss + 1/2p perlite.
3) I stopped throwing different ferts into the soil chaotically. Now i give only 1 type of fert solution consisting with many different nutrients. I give it once in two weeks.

I also made sure all of the plants are in exactly same conditions. I know, that superhots need a little more care, but not sure what to do to fix this problem.

Any suggestions???

3cwpPXd.jpg

Part of the difference is growth habits of the genus of the pepper. 

You can read a bit about that here: http://www.thechileman.org/guide_species.php 

Not all peppers are the same. 

Even within the same genus of pepper the species can have much different growth habits.   Some are early croppers, and some take an extra month or TWO to start producing.  

There are too many variables for me to accurately tell you what the major difference is in your growths.  

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help. 

:Cheers:  best of luck on your grow. 

Chinense prefer hot humid environments . You can feed them all the best shit but if you don't have good temps like what they love ( Low to mid 80 's and at least 50% humidity) they will rarely grow like your annuums and baccatums . Yes there are always exceptions to every rule but this is what I have seen in my short 10 years growing chinense . 

romy6 said:
Chinense prefer hot humid environments . You can feed them all the best shit but if you don't have good temps like what they love ( Low to mid 80 's and at least 50% humidity) they will rarely grow like your annuums and baccatums . Yes there are always exceptions to every rule but this is what I have seen in my short 10 years growing chinense . 
Thats why they (C.chin) love growing in GA and FL.  ;D

standbyandfire said:
Thats why they (C.chin) love growing in GA and FL.  ;D

So Cal too!!

In one season, this Trinidad Moruga Scorpion grew just short of 8 feet - slow to start, but TOOK OFF when put in a big pot with the right richness of soil. After this pic, I put the shade cloth up and the plant ended up growing to and then bending under the cloth and had to be tied up to the top pipes. The pipes stood about 7'6".
IMG_20140819_175952_702_zpspfyknkri.jpg

(sorry if you've seen it before - reused photo from my grow two years ago, and a few posts)

I took seeds from this plant and am growing it again. I ended up with a large bag of dried peppers from this. I have like a thousand seeds, lol.

Thanks all for helpful suggestions!

romy6 said:

Just decided to move them to other town with much more humid climate and with richer soil. Hope that'll improve some growth. 

Best luck to you all!

Back