• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Grumpy's Gold

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Seeing as how most of the guys at work know me as "The Grumpy Cigar Smokin Guy"......It gave me a great label idea for my hobby sauces.
But first I processed one of my ferments that has done its 100 plus days......I shall call this Grumpy's Gold.
This was started on Oct.24th/15

Grumpy's Gold

1 gallon bag frozen White Primo/Peach Ghost
Carrot
Ginger
Onion
Pineapple
Peach's
Garlic
This was all fermented together
Raw P.H was real low....2.98

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

I simmered the sauce for 30 minutes and did the first blend and the back on the stove and cooked another 20 minutes.
I added cumin,cracked pepper,white sugar,agave syrup,garlic powder,apple cider vinegar and water.
I blended this again and added xanthan gum.....everything back on the stove and brought back up to temp for bottling.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Final ph after cooling was great...2.88
IMG_2346.jpg

I got 15 bottles of great tasting sauce....very pleased and it has some good heat.
Made up a new label.......just a hobby sauce label....but I do like my stuff to look pretty.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

pa1966stang said:
Looks wonderful. Love the label. What are you using for paper/printing?
Hey thanks for looking guys......My nephew is a budding young artist so I told him what I wanted and between the two off us we come up with this design....I like it.
The labels are heavy gloss laminated from  http://stickerapp.com/ ...they are out of sweden.

Sizzle Lips said:
Hey thanks for looking guys......My nephew is a budding young artist so I told him what I wanted and between the two off us we come up with this design....I like it.
The labels are heavy gloss laminated from  http://stickerapp.com/ ...they are out of sweden.

Thanks for the link. Those are some expensive labels! for a 3"x5" square (order of 1000) it is almost $500. That comes out to just under $0.50 per label. A 5oz woozy bottle is $0.33 per bottle. Hard to believe that a label costs more than a bottle!

pa1966stang said:

Thanks for the link. Those are some expensive labels! for a 3"x5" square (order of 1000) it is almost $500. That comes out to just under $0.50 per label. A 5oz woozy bottle is $0.33 per bottle. Hard to believe that a label costs more than a bottle!
It's more expensive than you think.....$299.00 Canadian for 500 labels....with the exchange rate...total became $432.00......plus I got dinged $65.00 duty....which really pissed me off.
Works out to a buck a label.....good thing is ...I only pay 3 cents for a woozy through a friend of mine.......Right now its a fun hobby and selling the sauce to friends and guys at work pays for the labels and bottles.....rest is beer money....making small batch's of 20-30 bottles....my 500 labels will last while i look for a cheaper source......the pictures do not do the labels justice.....they are very thick heavy coated labels.

Sizzle Lips said:
It's more expensive than you think.....$299.00 Canadian for 500 labels....with the exchange rate...total became $432.00......plus I got dinged $65.00 duty....which really pissed me off.
Works out to a buck a label.....good thing is ...I only pay 3 cents for a woozy through a friend of mine.......Right now its a fun hobby and selling the sauce to friends and guys at work pays for the labels and bottles.....rest is beer money....making small batch's of 20-30 bottles....my 500 labels will last while i look for a cheaper source......the pictures do not do the labels justice.....they are very thick heavy coated labels.
The Boss recommended these awhile back http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

I ordered some and have been pretty happy. They do seem to be waterproof and are somewhat cheaper that what you are using. I just do not know if they are comparable.

I use them here in Colorado and love the quality.

Look up

Columbine Label Company. Don't know how to input a hyperlink. I am internet stupid. Jennifer is who I always speak with. You could get 5000 labels with shipping for less than $650 USD.

tctenten said:
The Boss recommended these awhile back http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

I ordered some and have been pretty happy. They do seem to be waterproof and are somewhat cheaper that what you are using. I just do not know if they are comparable.
Is that printed and cut or is that just for plain sheet labels....mine are printed and cut from sticker app.
Burns and McCoy said:
I use them here in Colorado and love the quality.

Look up

Columbine Label Company. Don't know how to input a hyperlink. I am internet stupid. Jennifer is who I always speak with. You could get 5000 labels with shipping for less than $650 USD.
I will check them out ...thanks

Sizzle Lips said:
Seeing as how most of the guys at work know me as "The Grumpy Cigar Smokin Guy"......It gave me a great label idea for my hobby sauces.
But first I processed one of my ferments that has done its 100 plus days......I shall call this Grumpy's Gold.
This was started on Oct.24th/15

Grumpy's Gold

1 gallon bag frozen White Primo/Peach Ghost
Carrot
Ginger
Onion
Pineapple
Peach's
Garlic
This was all fermented together
Raw P.H was real low....2.98

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

I simmered the sauce for 30 minutes and did the first blend and the back on the stove and cooked another 20 minutes.
I added cumin,cracked pepper,white sugar,agave syrup,garlic powder,apple cider vinegar and water.
I blended this again and added xanthan gum.....everything back on the stove and brought back up to temp for bottling.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Final ph after cooling was great...2.88
IMG_2346.jpg

I got 15 bottles of great tasting sauce....very pleased and it has some good heat.
Made up a new label.......just a hobby sauce label....but I do like my stuff to look pretty.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg
Those look great. Amazing even. How do I get my hands on a bottle? Cash? Sauce to trade? I wanna try it!

Sizzle Lips said:

Grumpy's Gold, is appropriately named. I'd definitely say it meets the gold standards of hot sauce. I was lucky enough to receive a bottle, and I tested it out on some ribs the other night.

First impressions, you can definitely tell the ingredients are home grown and not store bought. The sauce pops with a sweetness that can only be described as "natural". Then the aged goodness, that flavor we all look for in a fermented sauce comes through. My first thought is that it wasn't as bold or deep as I'd expected for a 100+ day sauce but thats when the heat kicked in. Pretty hot, to the point I lost my sense of taste, but it doesn't linger. It calms down and beckons you to try some more, and you do, and the experience repeats itself. Pretty magical as I used half the bottle with a single meal. The acidity is on point. I can't think of anything I would change with the exception of the upfront sweetness, but even that I'm not entirely sure about. I'd rate this a 9/10. Thanks for sending it my way.

Wow Redeemer.....your too kind...but thanks for the kind words and I am glad you liked it.I had to try and sweeten it up a bit to knock down some of the heat...which did work,plus I do like a bit of sweet heat, I was pretty happy with this batch and will try and match it again...maybe tweek a couple small things in the recipe.I do like fairly hot sauces but not to the point where it blows my brains out.Everyone's take on hot is always a little different then the next guys.

I look forward to the sauces you sent me to try and will post my thoughts soon....I really like to try sauces on several different foods....gives the palette a good work out.

Back