spirits Habanero brandy is underway!

I put this here because it will be distilled into brandy. I had a bunch of re habaneros sitting in my freezer and a whisky still in my basement(yeah it's illegal :rolleyes: ) and thought about a brandy. So I started!

I ran 1 1/2 gallon ziplocks through the blender
IMG_20110917_180557.jpg

IMG_20110917_181917.jpg

I then boiled the pepper with sugar and water for 30 mins. LEARN FROM ME: DO NOT BOIL HABS INDOORS!!!! I coughed my lungs out!!! Here is what it looked like when I started:
IMG_20110917_183635.jpg

After a while it looked like foamy blood and the oils were really coming out
IMG_20110917_191128.jpg

I then used a wort chiller to cool, poured it into a carboy with yeast and added water to fill. It's fermenting like crazy and smells like raspberries. Barely any pepper smell at all.
IMG_20110917_192920.jpg

When it's done fermenting I'll run it through the still and see what's it's like. I really have no idea what to expect and I love it!!!!

Very very very awesome. You better follow up with pics of the distillation process and finished product. And if you need taste testers... :beer:

Then just make them! It's super easy! And pics will continue in a few days. Gotta let it finish fermenting!
I will. I'll keep up on this post and see how it all goes and try and make it all from there. I didn't realize it was easy. I guess I've never really put thought into it till now.

I am soooo going to try this when i haz me some pods!

Oh and it'sa only illegal if you get caught not paying taxes on it. I am sure you pay your taxes! :D

Reallly excited to see you taste this one it sounds awesome :dance:

I don't have any of your fancy distilling apparatuses so I think I might try my hand at making some hab soda or something. Yum yum sweet poddy drinks. (Don't worry I'll throw in some tequila or something later) :beer:

Holly shit this sounds good.
Sounds like this could even make your sweat hot.
Better get out the baby powder with cooling cucumber melon just incase lol

UPDATE: Well I went and finally did it. As I was pouring the mash into my boiler I had a hacking coughing sneezing snot running fit! It still smells kinda fruity, peppery, and HOT! As it started to come out it smelled just like a fesh cut hanero would, and it made me cough and sneeze again. But......the booze has absoulutely no heat! None! It smells hot and tastes like it should be, but there is no heat at all. I guess the capsacian stayed in the boiler. Interesting stuff, probably would be good in a bloody mary. This is why I love experimenting!!

chilliworld.com says "the boiling point of capsaicin is 210-220 degrees centigrade." that would mean it would be staying in the pot, so I guess the irritants that were volatilizing were something other than capsaicin, right?

neat experiment!

UPDATE: Well I went and finally did it. As I was pouring the mash into my boiler I had a hacking coughing sneezing snot running fit! It still smells kinda fruity, peppery, and HOT! As it started to come out it smelled just like a fesh cut hanero would, and it made me cough and sneeze again. But......the booze has absoulutely no heat! None! It smells hot and tastes like it should be, but there is no heat at all. I guess the capsacian stayed in the boiler. Interesting stuff, probably would be good in a bloody mary. This is why I love experimenting!!

That was an unexpected twist to this story. I forgot all about this topic and I come back to see there is no heat from what everyone expected to be pure fire. Still sounds interesting.

Back