• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero Hot Sauce

So I decided today to try making my second hot sauce and used Carribean Red Habaneros that I grew this past year.  I attempted to make a hot sauce with homegrown Fatali Peppers two weekends ago but I failed in making it overly watery.  Today I was determined to make a sauce that was thicker and more like the hot sauce you get in the stores.  

2 cloves garlic
1/4 onion
1/2 tomato
9 Habanero Peppers
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt

So I finely chopped the onions and garlic and sauteed them till they browned up a bit.  I tossed them in the blender along with chopping up the half tomato and ran the blender as liquify.  After this I added the 9 Habs in succession after having cut the stems off the peppers.  From there I added 1/2 cup White Vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt.  I ran the blender on liquify a few minutes.  I transferred the mix to a sauce pan and boiled for 10 minutes.  Let the sauce cool and poured into a mason jar.  I am very pleased with how this sauce turned out.  I think the use of a blender was good and adding in the vinegar helped keep the sauce much thicker.  I am very pleased with how this sauce turned out!! this is exactly the consistency I was looking to make.  The sauce has some kick.  I plan to follow this recipe and just use different peppers that I have grown to make other sauces.  Here is a pic of the finished sauce below.  Enjoy! 

FABAA49E-BEEB-470B-BAB3-EA17B135AED9_zpsdnyx7nh4.jpg

05D20FF9-50C8-4079-BF1A-90714A6F84A2_zpsju9kcfjq.jpg

Kirill_RU said:
Hello, thanks for recipe, how old the shelf life of this sauce in the clear and you tried to sterilize it for long term storage?

Hello Kirill, I boiled the sauce for about 10 minutes and put in a cleaned (soap and water) mason jar.  I put it in the refrigerator to store.  As to shelf life I have no idea since I intended to use it right away.  I have about a spoonful left to use and it looks and tastes just fine.  I would say refrigerated it would keep for 2-3 months.  Thanks and enjoy the recipe let me know how yours turns out!

Thanks Mike! I try to find information about long savings souses. I can cultivate peppers only at summer and I must make souses to long winter :) I translate your recipe and use it in a july!

Back