• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero Peach sauce (found recipe, tweaked slightly)

Can't really take credit for this, as I was just going off this recipe... though calling it liquid fire is a bit of a stretch. I made a couple minor modifications as per the recommendations of the reviewers and used it to marinate some chicken for a cookout. Everyone who ate it said it was the best chicken they've ever had... so kudos to whoever came up with this. It's a nice basic recipe, I might modify it further in the future.

Anyway, this is the basic recipe, with modifications written in italics. It makes about 2 and a half pints.

12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped (My latest batch used 28 Datil peppers, which is easily tolerable for most people)
1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup (I usually use peaches in lite syrup, but this year I used 6 fresh peaches instead, skins removed. 5 would have been better probably, as this batch came out to be about 3 pints exactly, and the fresh peaches added a bit more moisture than I would have liked so I'll need to think about that with future batches)
1/2 1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 1/4 cup yellow mustard (Didn't want either the molasses or mustard flavors to dominate the peppers)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
+5-7 cloves of roasted garlic

Recipe has you just throw all of the ingredients into a blender and that's that... not sure how cooking it would affect the flavor. I don't have any pictures of the marinated chicken, as it was all eaten, but here's the sauce. Works great for barbeque, once all that sugar caramelizes... mmm. Before cooking the cumin smell and taste tends to dominate, but it all mellows out.

IMGP1316.jpg

I think next time I make it I'll try using fresh peaches and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Can't really take credit for this, as I was just going off this recipe... though calling it liquid fire is a bit of a stretch. I made a couple minor modifications and used it to marinate some chicken for a cookout. Everyone who ate it said it was the best chicken they've ever had... so I must be onto something.

Anyway, this is the basic recipe. With my modifications it makes about 2 and a half pints:

12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped (Heat barely registers to me, and I heard no complaints from the non-chileheads, so I'd either use more or hotter peppers)
1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup (I used peaches in lite syrup because it's what I had on hand)
1/2 1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 1/4 cup yellow mustard (Didn't want either the molasses or mustard flavors to dominate the peppers)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
+5 cloves of roasted garlic

Recipe has you just throw all of the ingredients into a blender and that's that... not sure how cooking it would affect the flavor. I don't have any pictures of the marinated chicken, as it was all eaten, but here's the sauce. Works great for barbeque, once all that sugar caramelizes... mmm. Before cooking the cumin smell and taste tends to dominate, but it all mellows out.

IMGP1316.jpg

I think next time I make it I'll try using fresh peaches and adjust the recipe accordingly.
I gotta try that . Looks good in that jar . Thanks for z recipe

Change the habs to bonnets, and add some thyme and scallions, then pulse it, and you have a good jerk rub.

Yeah close, not exact... no mustard really either... but sounds good made into jerk. Some good flavors there.

Took your recipe and tweaked it by using oranges, frozen orange juice concentrate and orange zest in lieu of the peaches. I also used smoked paprika and Chinese ginger. When I got it all ladled into jars, I put them in the canner for 30 minutes at a slow boil. Once everything is done and cools down, I'll post a photo. I wanted to do the peach habanero, but I ran out of jars. I'll pick some up tomorrow if Irene goes away.

The Orange Habanero version turned out pretty good. After my initial blending of all of the ingredients, I added more oranges and more orange juice concentrate. Then I pureed everything a second time. Not too shabby for my first try at this blend. How can I add a photo?

First you have to go to a site that will download your pic and give you the URL. You can use photo bucket or i went to tinypic.com. Follow the directions, then get your URL for that image. After you have complete that come back here and two places over from the smile right above here, click. hope that helps

funny I just made my first sauce yesterday and it was this recipe. Then I found this site for more and look what I find. Like you I reduced some of the ingredients based on suggestions at allrecipes.com. Did you forget the paprika though? Mine turned out quite a bit more red. This was a hit though!

This was my first sauce, as well....

Made different modifications, pineapple instead of peaches.... Made different batches using 15 orange Habs, a batch using 30 white Habs and a batch using 6 scotch bonnets and 2 butch t's.... Scotch bonnet/butch t batch has been the favorite around here....

Still working on tweaks....

Back