• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habanero plant with two main stems

This may be a silly newbie question, but a few days ago I purchased some orange habanero plants at a local nursery in a four pack. Two of the plants appear to have 2 main stems. I assume these are actually two separate plants and that they planted two seeds in that compartment and they both germinated and they didn't cull one of them? AFAIK chile plants just have one main stem, but this is my first year growing chile plants...

If these are two separate plants, what should I do? I would assume their roots are probably far too entangled to be separated...should I let them go, cull one of them, try to separate them? They're going in 5 gallon buckets.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :oops:

^ I would say that's entirely up to you. This is a much discussed subject with as many opinions as members expressing them. Separate, cull, or plant together; they all work. Cheers.

The safest way is cut off the weak one, OK with that said I would try to separate them (extra plants) I do it under the Faust on low to help seprate the roots, plant them as quick as possible. works for me and don't care if dosen't work for everyone( IT"S MY WAY)

I searched again and found a few threads this time and you're right, opinion seems to be all over the place on this one. It seems about 1:1:1 for all three options. :lol:

They're about 6-8 inches tall in probably less than 2 cubic inches of potting mix, so separating the roots would be tough. For people who have done this, how much were the plants stunted? At this point in the season I'm afraid to do something which could set them back enough to prevent a good harvest.

I don't have anything bigger than 5 gallon buckets, would 2 plants be ok in one of these?

If I decided to cull one, could I just hack off the main stem and leave the roots? Would the roots die and then be prone to rotting or something which could damage the other plant?

I actually have several plants like this, because when I was buying plants at the garden center I would look for the bushiest plant with the most growth, not noticing that it was actually 2 plants in one container. :oops: Newbie mistakes. :o

well I don't have any more buckets or potting soil and have already spent a lot of money so getting extra plants isn't really necessary. My roomates and friends probably already think I'm insane with this big chile farm I suddenly erected in the back yard in 5 gallon buckets. :o

Then again, I could say screw these stupid non-food producing plants in the flower bed in the front of the house and throw a couple in there and see how they do. Hmm, it is tempting. My main concern with separation is that I don't want to stunt the plants too much. Plus I'm usually not too gentle or patient with these type of things. HawaiiAll, how did the plants react to the separation? Did it stunt them very much?

I've done it many times (I prefer 1 plant 1 pot) and you might lose 1 week due to shock. I did finally lose 1 plant out of the last 12 that I separated.
My method is to let the pot go almost dry; separate, re-plant, and water. Because they're almost dry they uptake water quickly even if the roots are damaged. Keep them out of all but a few hours of the morning sun for at least a few days and they should be fine.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...Dont do ANYTHING until Arboc gets here and tells you that whatever you are doing is wrong. THEN do what you were planning on doing. :rofl:

DarkTrak said:
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...Dont do ANYTHING until Arboc gets here and tells you that whatever you are doing is wrong. THEN do what you were planning on doing. :rofl:

Ooo! You devil you! ;)

I actually have a serrano plant that grew 3 main stems very early and they sprung up from the dirt , I initial thought that somehow I had more then one seed in their until I transplanted and saw that they were all attached below the surface.

WickedMojo said:
I actually have a serrano plant that grew 3 main stems very early and they sprung up from the dirt , I initial thought that somehow I had more then one seed in their until I transplanted and saw that they were all attached below the surface.

Good on ya! I was just about to post that it may be one plant that branched way early. Be prepared for that as well.

DarkTrak said:

wow, pot shot! ANyway to the point of the thread they may be connected below the soil ya never now, i say plant em as in and see what happens

I've got a hab now that appears to be two plants but is actually one, attached at a main stem that barely rises over dirt level. Be SURE you really have two before performing surgery. It can be quite deceptive. I can post a pic of this 2-headed hab if it'd be helpful.

DarkTrak said:
Its only a matter of time!!!:rofl::rofl:

Interesting, I didn't know they could branch like that. I think I will check out the habs and if they're actually 2 plants I will try to separate them and see how that goes as they're still somewhat small and I have 2 regular ones in case something goes wrong. If it goes well I may try to separate some of the bigger ones. I have a pasilla, cayenne, and serrano like this too, but they are bigger.

DarkTrak said:

lol. it's funny because it's true.

Heres a pic of my serrano it is actually just 1 plant

serrano-fork1-1.jpg

and heres a crazy "forking" naga that kept shooting up stems from the base

naga-stem1.jpg

Well I tried putting it under the faucet to wash away the dirt, but it wasn't happening. They're way too entangled, I don't think I could get them apart without major damage, and possibly killing them. So I guess they're staying together, and so are the bigger ones. :oops: Or I may do some culling. Hmm.

DarkTrak said:
Yeah, but I mean no harm. I'm just joking around.

yeah I'm with you. it was funny though.

Avon Barksdale said:
Well I tried putting it under the faucet to wash away the dirt, but it wasn't happening. They're way too entangled, I don't think I could get them apart without major damage, and possibly killing them. So I guess they're staying together, and so are the bigger ones. :oops: Or I may do some culling. Hmm.

decisions, decisions. If you really want one to flourish I would go with hacking off the stem right at the roots of one of them, or just let them grow together in that 5 gallon. 5 gallons is still a fair size and can support a lot more than we sometimes think. It would be interesting to see what develops. Either way I think you'll get some good pod action out of them.

Hello from a fellow Indiana chilehead! If I were you I would check if it really is two plants because I have a Takanotsume that has two main stems and it does look like two plants.

Back