• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero sauce bitterness

Ive tried making Habanero sauce 2 different ways and there always seems to be a slightly bitter after-taste. The habs seem to have their own slight bitterness when eaten fresh but it seems more prominent in the sauce. I tried the cooked version thinking it may stop the bitterness and it did reduce it slightly.

The 2 ways (core ingredients):

1)
cooked: onion, garlic, habs, olive oil
blend: cooked + white wine vinegar, honey, salt, fresh squeezed lemon juice, bell pepper

2)
no cooking involved
blend: habs, white wine vinegar, honey, salt, fresh squeezed lemon juice, bell pepper

Im experimenting with habs so when I make sauce with the hotter stuff theres not too much trial and error at a cost. I do find the 7 pot and Dorset Naga have a stronger citrus smell (and no bitterness eaten raw) so im guessing the formula will still need tweaking but im trying to get something close for now.

Buzz said:
You are deseeding them, right? Seeds can add to the bitterness

Also, peppers that have been overwatered can be bitter as well
Nope wasnt deseeding because I buy in large quantity so I wasnt worried about saving seeds for replanting. I was straining the sauce but I spose a lot of the seeds are getting chopped up... didnt realise they could cause bitterness. Ive heard of the over-watering causing bitterness but thats obviously a supplier issue. May just have to grow my own then aswell and see outcome.
RocketMan said:
Try adding some carrots to the mix. They seem to absorb any bitterness and add a touch of their own sweetness to the overall flavor profile. 
Added carrot and it seemed to help a very little bit. Im already adding honey so I suppose thats why the change was ever so slight.

It's really all about balance and ratios. You have to find that right ratio between peppers and the other ingredients and once you have it, it'll all fall together. Just keep playing :)

Back