• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water habanero-water/Fret'/light

I have read alot in this great forum but coldnt find specific answer:

My habanero (gold+chocolate) is 40 days old
Have 2-3 cuple leaves
Sun from 6:30AM-19:30Pm (i give them direct sun only 3h)

1.should i give them more dirct sun (cant have direct sun befor 12:00) or less?

2. Is it effective to add artifical lightning At night ? (if yes, how many hours?)

Sorry for my english :)

I have read alot in this great forum but coldnt find specific answer:

My habanero (gold+chocolate) is 40 days old
Have 2-3 cuple leaves
Sun from 6:30AM-19:30Pm (i give them direct sun only 3h)

1.should i give them more dirct sun (cant have direct sun befor 12:00) or less?

2. Is it effective to add artifical lightning At night ? (if yes, how many hours?)

Sorry for my english :)

1. Peppers like 6+ hours of direct sun daily.
2. They need a rest period, so no, don't add artificial light at night (assuming you can get them 6+ hours of direct sunlight).

Yes give them more direct sun, as long as possible but if it is getting very hot and they start to wilt, reduce the direct sun as needed to help them stay cooler.

I have another issue:

Which type of water is better to use:

1. Filtered water (uv+coal+heavy metals filters)
2. Regular hard water(no chlorine in my area, but have flouride)
3. Boiled water from above

using soilless potting mix (peat-vermiculate-Perlite-Humus) with organic fertilizer (BioBizz-Bio Grow NPK-4-3-6)

last year i used only distilled water due to living in the city and being worried the chlorine and other chemicals would damage my seedlings. this year that felt like too much of a PITA and i noticed no difference in how my seedlings grew. one thing i do that may or may not be completely psychosomatic is i refill gallon jugs and let them sit for several days with the tops off in the hopes that some of the chemicals contained in the city water will evaporate :)

once they're outside they just get city water straight from the hose. never noticed an issue.

more TNX for you guys

since i noonbi i will keep concentrate all my Q's here ;)

one more issue:

i measured temp's:

out direct sun: 91.5
out shade:86-89.5 (very humid)
inside: 77-79 (AC controls the temp)

1. where is best for germination (new seeding) ?
2. where is best for those just poped up and have 2 tiny leaves ?
3. where is best for those with the 3 couple leaves ?

^ Most of these basic questions are covered in other forum threads, especially the sticky topics.

Put them in the shade while germinating, put them inside for a while if you have grow lights, otherwise put young sprouts out where they get morning sun but are shaded by the time it approaches 90F. By the time they get 3 sets of leaves, the best option is as much sun as they can tolerate without excessive drooping or sunburn. Ideally if you could have 86F-89.5F with full sun that would be best but since you don't have that option put them in full sun and if they start to wilt, consider placement in a location that is shaded by mid-day to evening.

One more:

I have new seeds that finaly spouts,
I read that sprouts need "water from the botom"
I didnt understand why or if its that mandatory

Watering from the bottom is not mandatory or necessary, but so long as your soil wicks water well this can be helpful to keep the initial roots at a good moisture level instead of cycling between too moist and too dry, and letting the soil surface dry out more will reduce fungus growth which is one of the number one threats to young sprouts.

Watering from the top is not a problem most of the time but in humid climates or those with a lot of fungus spores floating around, and in areas without a lot of air movement, having at least a reservoir at the bottom to catch excess water and continue to supply it instead of adding more from the top can help, as can having a very light breeze from a nearby fan.

In other words, water from the bottom whenever it is reasonably possible to do so.

another Q

i got [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]organic fertilizer BioBizz-Bio Grow NPK-4-3-6)[/background]

the introductions say "use on every watering"

?can i do that ?, is it good/bad ?

i water every 2-3 days
the plants got 4-5 pairs of true leave
they are outdoor at sunny 90F
plant in non-fertilized soil-less

How often you apply fertilizer depends on the amount used each time. On a young/small plant you lose more water to evaporation from the soil and less from the plant respiration itself, and the plant consumes lower levels of nutrients so I would not use it full strength (or with every watering) yet as the fertilizer levels can build up too much. Plus if you are using decent soil there should already be some nutrients in it that the plant can use before they need replenished with fertilizer.

However as the plant gets larger you may find that you have to water it more often and then I still would not fertilize it every time at full strength unless the plant looks like it needs it.

Thanks man

It say on the lable: "2-5 ml to liter"

So i use 2 ml to liter right now, once a week ( every 2-3 waterings)

Later on i can go 2ml@L every time ? Or else?

Can i do it

Oh. That's such a small amount that I'd give it 2mL/L every other watering, then every watering when the plant is larger.
What you could do is pick two of the same type of plant and vary the amount each gets to see if it makes a difference.

I read that sprouts need "water from the botom"
I didnt understand why or if its that mandatory
Like Dave said, it's not absolutely mandatory. However, if you don't bottom-water and let the surface of the soil get wet, watch for symptoms of the fungus commonly called damping off. The symptoms of damping off start as a light-ish brown, kind of granular texture on the surface. It may be difficult to discern at first. More likely what you will notice is either a) the plant will seem to get a soft spot at the soil line, or b) the plant will start leaning over. If it gets too bad, the plant will simply flop over at the soil line.

If the plant is very young (as it sounds yours are), if it flops over it likely won't recover. But if it's just leaning, you might be able to save it. Scrape away the top layer of soil, lightly spray it with hydrogen peroxide, and stake the plant up. Repeat spraying the hydrogen peroxide every other day for a few days.

Hopefully that won't ever be an issue for you, but that should help you recognize what's going on if it ever is.

Thanks a lot!

So to water from the bottom i just need to make sure to keep 1/2" water level or let it dry and fill again?

That depends on whether your tray has raised portions, how far the soil in the pot sits down in it, etc. At some point you will notice the water level drops and doesn't go any lower at the same rate. At that point it's not being drawn into the soil effectively and a little should be added, or of course if the plant looks like it needs more. I don't like to leave a perpetual standing pool of water outside though, the mosquitoes find it and lay eggs. So, if the water level hasn't changed much in a day I dump out the excess but with the high temps we've been seeing that seldom happens.

To reinforce advice already given: bottom watering helps prevent damping off, it also keeps you from exposing the tiny roots of seedlings when you pour water in from above. Peppers should be able to withstand all day full sun unless you live in a very hot, very dry climate (I guess Israel counts as that). Be careful when changing the length of sun exposure for your plants, increase by only 30 min or an hour per day to let the plant adjust to the new conditions. If you are growing in pots in very hot areas, keeping the soil and roots cool will help your plants.

Back